Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

After playing around with a program on the net called The Edge, this is what I came up with.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 419
Anyone who can give me suggestion for measures of the Suprabaffle?
:)

This would be very room, system response dependent and even with relatively simple software such as EDGE it's going to be a crap-shoot as to how close to 'best' overall the size/shape would be which in my limited experience of finding it empirically required an organic shape rather than a sharp shaped [highly reflective] one like BW arrived at using EDGE, but then I didn't have any way to measure the results at a > 1/3 octave resolution.

Note that a round one is theoretically the worst shape since it has an infinite number of identical eigenmodes, ergo the highest amplitude peaks/nulls.

GM

Now i am playing with a supertweeter:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is a John Blue horntweeter, airy, pleasent. Horn is nice :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have chosen setup no 3 (0-1-0):

I will later try the tweeter bacwards with setup no 1.

This would be very room, system response dependent and even with relatively simple software such as EDGE it's going to be a crap-shoot as to how close to 'best' overall the size/shape would be which in my limited experience of finding it empirically required an organic shape rather than a sharp shaped [highly reflective] one like BW arrived at using EDGE, but then I didn't have any way to measure the results at a > 1/3 octave resolution.

Note that a round one is theoretically the worst shape since it has an infinite number of identical eigenmodes, ergo the highest amplitude peaks/nulls.

GM

Bob Brines uses an oval shape baffle. In my need to find off the shelf treatments I found some oval shaped wooden pine plaques of the sort used to mount fish at the hobby store. Finding the center was tough as I was working backward from a preformed piece of pine from the store. In sum I did not like the additional cavity the sound had to travel through two layers in the BIB. I chamfered as well, but returned to a flat BIB front.

In sum I did not like the additional cavity the sound had to travel through two layers in the BIB. I chamfered as well, but returned to a flat BIB front.

Somewhere, maybe even responding to one of your posts, I mentioned that when using a suprabaffle that it should ideally replace a section of the cab's baffle or at least make as big and irregular shaped/chamfered hole as practical in it for this very reason.

GM

If i understand you right, its probably better if i remove the round baffle and sand/remove some wood inside so the driver fits?

See my response to Lonnie plus considering your discs appear to be fairly thin and barely wider than the cab, either tapering its edge down beginning at the driver or covering it with a foam ring or similar may, may not make an audible difference depending on a variety of things. Only one way to know for sure though.

GM

Somewhere, maybe even responding to one of your posts, I mentioned that when using a suprabaffle that it should ideally replace a section of the cab's baffle or at least make as big and irregular shaped/chamfered hole as practical in it for this very reason.

GM

It seems like that was back in the dark ages. Maybe before I had decent tools. Tools are still in shortage but with a single round cutout I can modify for something new. The wood plaque was worth a try but not very scientific.

I have lost a lot of subtlety in my listening I think.:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for all your help over the years.