Tapped Horn Tearing Speaker Cones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andy, I have made the most HornResp from your cab based on Oliver's drawing. The minimum impedance is 5,3Ohm at 41Hz. Xmax will be reached with 56V. If you calculate the power from that it is 580Watt without the losses from power compression. The power compression is at least 3dB which means you will need at least 1160Watt to reach Xmax in reality. Since the driver is rated 900W max (EIA 426A), which is lower, I suggest 750W since it is 80%-85% of the EIA-426A max rating. Other people seem to use this figure with the 3015LF in TH's with higher compression ratio's so you will be save. Always use limiters and make sure the limiter led is not lighting the whole time.
Thanks Djim; That explanes a lot. Andy

Nothing wrong with the ultradrive meter.

As you can see in the manual for the DCX 0dB is +22dBu or 9.75V RMS.

Your amps gain is ether 26dB (19.953x) or 32dB (39.811x)

Using this useful calculator dB calculator for amplification (gain) and damping (loss) of an audio amplifier calculation decibel dB ratio - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin you could work out the limiter setting you want.

For 77.5V and 26dB gain for the amp you want the input to the amp to be 3.88V RMS.
The change from 9.75V RMS (0dB for DCX) to 3.88V RMS is -7.994dB

So your limiter would be set at -7.994dB.

It's always a good idea to verify it working properly with a DMM, preferably with a lot lower setting.
OK this sets the limiter than or maybe a bit lower. Thanks David

Last edited:
How about a 24dB/oct cutoff at 40Hz?
A 24dB/oct cutoff at 40Hz would provide more protection than the 24dB/oct and 48dB/oct low-cut filters at 36Hz or higher (or 12dB/oct at 44Hz) Djim suggested.

His suggestions are based on simulations of a cabinet design similar to yours.

You can easily measure the actual cone excursion and determine what the speaker's excursion in your cabinet (as built) actually is, any HP suggestions done without actual measurements are simply educated guesses.

Also, the stresses that caused the cone kinks are not only LF related, they are in combo with the upper excursion ranges too.

Update

I have set the limiters and the crossover.
The speakers have been reconed.
If I have time I will tapper the throats.

The guy that did the reconing brought up a good point about outside speakers and dampness.

The few nights we used these at night it did get vary humid. The dew was so bad my feet got soaked packing the system back up.

I had the reconing guy treat the cones to keep them from soaking up to much humitity, but dose anyone think the humidity played a role in there distrutshoin?

I will be using them again next weekend and let you know how it gose.

Andy

Last edited:
yes ,that might verry well be the/a problem.
making them water resistent(both sides?) is always a good ideer.
i stil beleave djk has a good point in making a compression chamber to even the load on the cone.
4pyros.jpg

Hell yes humidity can cause BIG problems. If it's humid go a little lighter on the system. Down here in florida it's something we pay attention to.
The low end punch softens as the speaker cone gets heavier and softer. I've seen a number of surrounds and dustcaps come apart under high humidity conditions.
If you are cutting 38-40hz and limiting for xmax then you should be ok.
I run my EQ Before the compressor/limiter.

If you have a few speakers you don't mind killing intentionally......
Set up a subwoofer crossed speaker. Any fully functional POS will do.
Throw a kick drum track on and gently bring it up. You are listening for two things... One the point where the speaker starts compressing the tone (like asthma), after that listen for a very soft breakup similar to a guitar speaker but softer and hidden in the overtones. That is your too much power point. It is way before that farting noise we all love.
If you keep the subs on the real system just below this point.. you won't blow them up. Your digital crossover may have a dynamic eq and compression. USE IT. As the system gets louder, lower the sub frequencies below 45, increase 50-70 a tad. Meyer systems do this and actually raise the crossover points and lf/hf cutoffs as the system gets louder which unfortunately most of the digital xovers I've seen cant to.
Cheers

Post #69:...If I have time I will tapper the throats.

Hi 4pyros,

Instead of tapering the throat, how about a mounting baffle for your driver? This would give a defined coupling chamber, and you could match the S2 area, or reduce the chamber opening into the horn even more. Maybe you could also modify the thickness of the board the driver is mounted to to stop the cone before it hits Xlim (17mm), e.g.: a thin layer of felt glued against the baffle.

As to power, stay below 400W to keep the diaphragm displacement to xmax (9.6mm), that will give you a bit more safety and headroom. As to the effects of low cut filters, I suggest you take a look at the displacement in Hornresp using the new sampling functionality (slider, Hornresp thread Post #2081), and take a note of Xlim v. power v. frequency.

Regards,

Attachments

• SS15_4pyros_mod_2011_Aug13_mounting baffle.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 100
Oliver; Thanks for your input.
I would be afraid the cone would hit the redcer baffle in you drawing.
I am thinking maybe I could easy do a slot baffle on the inside of the existing mounting baffle? but how big should the slot be and what would be the best orientation for proper loading?
Any ideas?
Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.