Tannoy floorstander progress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that the holly grail for such drivers was the 'Autograph'.
Hmmm 4dB of BSC and no improvement in bass quantity...there must be something seriously wrong with the parametres you have! Best of luck with your experiments till it 'kicks'.

GM said:

Greets!

You're welcome!

These specs are pure BS and I couldn't reconcile them enough with the extra ones here to be of any use with any degree of accuracy: http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy61.htm , so unless I missed something, then without actual measurements the only way to get a tonally balanced FR is to use some form of EQ such as BSC to trade as much efficiency as required to get the desired BW whether sealed or vented. That, or build huge BLHs and damp them down as required.

GM

GM, are you saying that the published specs in that tannoy sheet are BS? or that can't be my driver? I had used and that exact sheet for my specs.

Greets!

Open back means it's tuned very high, so it will have more midbass and the least amount of LF compared to sealed or vented. Regardless, assuming the cab has no leaks with the rear cover on and the drivers are fine and wired in phase, etc., then it's a BSC situation, so the obvious first step is to use the XO's shelving controls since the HF driver is much more efficient than the woofer. This alone can make the woofer's output seem to 'disappear' when tuned to a low Fb.

WRT the specs, about all I found out is that the SRM 12X cab is ~2.2 ft^3 net tuned to ~40 Hz, so to get a similar response in a 3 ft^3 cab requires a bit higher Fb, with a 4" diameter x 1.5" vent simming 'close enough' and where I recommend starting before adjusting the HF, then if Tannoy's alignment sounds too 'boomy', increase the vent length as required.

If you still prefer sealed to get adequate power handling/transient response, then based on the info I found, the XO probably can't be shelved enough to be tonally balanced unless stuck in a corner, so you may need to considerably reduce the cab's Vb and accept the lack of LF output beyond the room gain curve.

GM

Greets!

I'm saying that when I use these published specs to verify them against each other they don't add up 'close enough', so one or more of them is off enough to render them ~useless (BS) IMO.

Still, as long as the cab isn't too small, and I don't believe yours are per se, you can tonally balance them at the expense of efficiency, so I wouldn't consider your $$/effort necessarily wasted, just that once adjusted they may not have as much dynamic headroom as you were expecting, though to get to a low Fb will require 8-10 ft^3 and considerable shelving if not corner loaded.

GM

Thanks for your time,

Yes, I think my box is big enough, as far as I know it's larger than any tannoy monitor made with this driver...I did that on purpose for wiggle room.

Judging by your estimations for vent size, my experiments were way off. I think I was tuning too low with a 3" vent 4" long (all I had on hand at the moment was 3" pvc). I'll just remove the vent which will expose a 3.5" round hole 1.5" deep. I'll start there

thnks again.:)

Yes Salas, I did reduce the hp level. I tried what I said in post 26 and the results were hopeful. I will certainly try the circuit too with the reflex. I won't have much time to play for a little while tho:(

It's gonna take a little bit, but I'm confident these will work out great:)

AndrewT said:
Hi,
the driver specs you have used are from the Professional range.
The 2558 & 3838 mimic the domestic range.
The other two are optimised for higher SPL at the expense of bass extension.

Do you have a domestic model or a professional model?

I don't know for sure. All I know is that they are from a TV studio in Boston. I was told that they 'may' have been from a pair of SRMs by the guy I got them from.

My bass issue isn't cured yet (all in good time) but I did some listening tonight.

These things sound real sweet and focused, I had Nora Jones in my living room today! She was right in the middle:D

These things crank too. I threw on some 'vintage disco' It was like a club... I could have a cover charge. I have never had a system that could go so loud with 12 watts on the tweeters/50 watts per woofer.

I think I'm going to enjoy these drivers :)

My local guy had a DCX2496 that someone ordered ages ago and never picked up... so I grabbed it. Yep, it's got some goofy gain issues etc. so you really gotta play with it. But I think its a keeper.

Rear baffles still off of the floorstanders. I did a 24db LR at 1.2k for woof/tweet point. With the parametric I did the necessary Tannoy tweet EQ. I also dialed in a high Q 6db cut at 180hz. Followed by a 24db high pass at 22hz and finally a high Q boost of 6db at 32hz. I didn't pick all this 'out of the air', I sat for a while whilst listening of course.

It's amazingly close!, and I love the way it's beginning to sound. This driver seems to be pretty happy here:) . I think I'm gonna hold off trying to tune the vent until the sub is completed and integrated and see if it's worth the bother. Other than very low content and movies, it's just about perfect for me....maybe:)

not sure if this thread is alive.. But

I'll try anyway.

I see that you have Tannoy stickers still on the units. What do the stickers indicate? Another way of finding everything out for sure is to do some measurements of the actual driver (s) with test tones into a test box, or do a frequency sweep , and capture the impedence. As simple as making a test tone cd , using say WinISD as a tone generator (it will be quite accurate).

I'm certainly no expert at anything but am curious about the Tannoy DC speakers and have been for a while. HMM after I find some nice Corals, maybe some Tannoys should be next..

does anyone actually have

the correct parametrers for the 3149 drivers?.. I'm curious.

I think the BL =11.296

but when I enter these parameters into Win ISD I get errors all over. I've searched. Curosity is killing the cat, and a new project (not Tannoys, but a kindler gentlrer driver..in the "vein of " the tannoys (fullranger with a very wide bandwidthe, relatively inexpensive, and almost perfect for Tannoy horns and BR enclosures).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.