Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMO, the 1772 will work in MLTL's and BR's. It will probably go into a BVR -- a Chang or half Chang. It will work on an OB, but I believe that anything larger than a 4" is wasting the bass of the of the larger driver while forgoing the treble of the smaller driver. As to whether it will work in a traditional back horn, you will have to ask others.

Bob

has anyone modeled TB's 1772 horn to get an idea of what they're doing? (or see published data?) I've no problem overall with 1772 in Karlson-couplers and even in the tiny 8K sounds better on vocals than a super10 in reflex. I must have over a ton (maybe 2) of speakers and like the old K12 with 8" fullrange :D

- believe it was Duke's impression that within its rated xmax, 1772 played fairly clean for an 8" frame single driver and that's about the way I hear it on "The Spirit of The Chinese Drum" track 3 with bell and temple drum - at 1M my old analog Radio Shack spl meter reads ~107dB on bass drum peaks with one 1772 in a Karlsonette and its getting near xmax. Some fullrange gargle earlier.

Duke listened to the 1772 ?

If it goes louder before gargle than others, that's a huge strength to me.

I've been watching this thread closely for all comments on the driver.

I'm real close to ordering one.

My dual 4" has not much cone area and the vertical dispersion is getting annoying.

I'm thinking the 1772 sealed near 1ft3 with bass support below that.

Does it have a shorting ring ?
I don't think it does.............

It says it's underhung.
Impedence looks awesomely flat.

Norman

fwiw got a new old DAC which sounds pretty good and better in ways than some other DAC laying around with Karlsonette and 1772 - there's some Z mismatch and perhaps too small an output cap but at lower TVC settings that's somewhat offset - tube rectification, tube shunt regulation & common cathode output stage w/o loop FB - its good w. Johnny Cash and Luther Perkins
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sure here they are. The original links were through Geocities, which is now gone.

The W8-1772 is mounted in my TT-2000 cabinet without any filters.

Bob

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • chart-1.gif
    chart-1.gif
    24 KB · Views: 1,019
  • I-Chart.gif
    I-Chart.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,000
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I just ordered a set of TT 2000 plans from Brines Acoustic. This will be my second speaker build but more importantly, my first full range. I recently finished a pair of sealed 2 ways from a kit and they just don't sound that great. My musical tastes favor a full-range speaker so I have high hopes for the TT 2000. I'll start a new thread when I get going on them.

what's it sound like at 10' away ?

I like them in an 8' triangle. Much better -- smoother yet more detailed than the FE207E.

rising response should be fine due to lack of dispersion.

Well, the farther back you get, the less you need to worry about rising response. I just use a (DSP)BSC and some toe-in

Does it need a notch just ast 8khz ?

Note that off axis, there is a hole at 8K.

Thanks for posting the graphs.......

Norman

Anytime!
Bob

I just ordered a set of TT 2000 plans from Brines Acoustic. This will be my second speaker build but more importantly, my first full range. I recently finished a pair of sealed 2 ways from a kit and they just don't sound that great. My musical tastes favor a full-range speaker so I have high hopes for the TT 2000. I'll start a new thread when I get going on them.

:D

I'm bumping this back up for a pretty quick and simple question.

I'm just beginning my venture into home audio, having started off in car car audio.
I'm pretty familiar with measurements, sweeps, etc. However, I am not versed in more complex enclosures (ie: anything other than a standard vented or sealed).

I'm looking at the 1772 as it seems to be a pretty straightforward driver to use for a beginner's project. I've been playing with BBP for the past 30 minutes or so, using the given measurements from Bob's post at the beginning of this thread. I've found that this driver seems best suited for a vented enclosure, somewhere between 1.3-1.5ft^3, with a tuning frequency of around 35-45 hz.
Being that it has a rather high efficiency, I'm using a rather low power rating of about 10w. The software shows me that this will give me 112dB response on average. The only concern is that even with only 10w input, the software indicates I will extend beyond xmax from ~50-90hz.

So, two questions for you guys who have some experience:
1) Is the size/tuning I've listed above what you've found to be reasonalbe for this driver? If not, is your enclosure drastically different (ie: tuning frequency +/-10hz different and the enclosure +/- 0.10ft^3)?
I may be splitting hairs, but I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the numbers I'm getting are somewhat nominal and realistic for this driver in a true full range (no subwoofer) setup?

2) Have you ran into issues with overpowering? Judging by BBP's numbers, I may be able to get away with a very small powered setup with these.

3) You guys don't have to answer this unless you want to, and I'll do some searching, but I figure I"ll throw it out there... to get this size/tuning frequency, I'll have to orient my vent vertically. I've personally never seen this done before; the vent is always on the same plane as the driver. Is this something I should be concerned with? I'd assume no... pressure is pressure. But, I don't know for sure.

I'm thinking about building a 'false' bottom on my enclosures so that the speaker looks closer to 4ft tall, than 2ft.

Thanks for reading the ramblings.

- Erin

I was going to edit the above, but it seems I can't. :(

I'll just add this...

I spent a bit more time modeling this driver and found 2ft^3 tuned at around 50hz gives flat response from 75hz and up with only a 3dB drop at 55hz. So, I think that's what I'm going to shoot for unless any of you guys sees a problem with this.

Again, sorry for the second post. I would have edited the first with this if I had been able to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.