• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tame the beast.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im kind of the same, i have another headphone tube project thats currently mothballed to use some interesting:
http://ryujiwarui.com/tube/1%201J17B_B7.gif
tubes i ordered from USSR in pentode mode to drive headphones using a lithium polymer battery pack.(note 60 mA at 1.2v filament, 2mA anode current, 60v supply). napkin math suggested that with an apropiate boost converter it could operate for 12+ hours. evidence of it functioning was found somewhere but i forget the source. only copied the gif, and it wasnt a battery operated unit
http://ryujiwarui.com/tube/1J17B_B7.jpg

before i do that tho, i want to put together a class A portable BJT amp, just so i can compare

Cool will do.

Lot's of good reading to do.

What are you using for cans?

I'm on my 3rd pair of Sony MDR-XD200. They make great sounding phones on the cheap. I usally pay ~$25 -$40 for them. But they are 32 ohm, and likely not the best quality. Having said that, they are great phones for day to day use at work, very comfortable.

i bought these due to the sale,
Newegg.com - TDK ST800 Supra-aural High Fidelity Headphone
knowing i needed high impedance headphones i figured i'd bite. tried them out two entire days and on my xonar d2x sound card they sound wonderful. Dont regret the purchase. given the sale price of $99 i took a chance on an unproven brand given engineering specs of 20hz-20khz 200 ohm 50mm drivers Only thing i made sure of was that gimmicky equalizer/amp wasnt required for operation. seems to throw a relay so meh i dont care... gives them a way to function on low power inputs such as cell phone/ipod

i just cant wait to see how they sound on tubes instead of my sound card ^.^

Last edited:
Hey those are nice. I bet they will sound even better after a few weeks use.

In fact, once when replacing my cans, I took the drivers out of the old pair and put them into the new, saves the break in time. Not that they sounded bad, but the would sound even better after 2-3 weeks of steady use. I would estimate around 120 hours of use.

Well I switched it to triode mode today. I have been wanting to try it on this amp and ryuji's comment reminded me to try it.

I debated sorting out a switch so I could go between triode and pentode. I figured I would have enough power left in triode mode that I just went ahead and hardwired the change.

I removed the 1HY choke and the 150u screen cap. Then connected pin 3 and 4 of the 6V6 with a 100ohm resistor.

As it turns out I do have plenty of juice on tap for my needs. Halfway on my volume slider is louder then I would sensibly go. It really lines my volume slider up nicely now. I moderate listening level is now at 10% rather then 2% like it was before lol.

It sounds really nice.
I don't think I lost anything in the bottom end at all, this focker pounds stuff like deadmau5 pretty hard.

It brought some clarity to the high end. It's funny because this morning I was thinking of doing a tweeter swap, now not so much. The high's sound louder now, in good way, due to having less distortion. The over all sound is a little tighter sounding.

What to do next, lol I'm going to have to start a new amp pretty soon. Oh ya! That little cathode follower head amp. I also would like to try a 2A3 amp next. I'm still in the early stages of researching and sourcing iron for that one.

Anyhow today's mod was very worth while in my opinion.

Attachments

• PPP Schematic V6.jpg
    PPP Schematic V6.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 45
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.