Tad comp vs ATC dome + tweet opinions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pinkmouse said:
I found some pics of my system in an old thread.

Stunning work Al!

I really like the way you've worked the solid wood.

On another note: After the brief chat about the HM100ZO earlier in this thread, it sparked up my interest to find a pair of these drivers to invest in. I've looked previously but my effort this time was more concentrated. The outcome? I've managed to find 2 pairs of HM100ZO's with the phase plugs for a very reasonable £150 and UK sourced from IPL acoustics. Apparently Ivan has a load of these so get in quick before they all disappear and don't forget these are £35ea drivers that come very close to the £400ea ATC supers!

Al would it be OK if I got in touch with you to discuss how its best to implement a design with the HM100?

VERY nice pinkmouse, kind of like the inbread offspring of out B&W 801s at work, the 801 nautilus (similar bass cabinet) and the 801 Series 80s with the stacked cuboid enclosures for mid and tweet...

but in a nice way, they look very nice.

I have a pair of the Audax 4.5" Aerogels which I'm fitting phase plugs to, just to see how it affects the response etc. I wonder how they will compare.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Shin, thanks for the compliments. I have posted many times about how to get the best out of these drivers, but they are spread all over the place so it might be nice to start a new thread just for them when you get yours. The main thing is getting rid of the back wave, that's why I went aperiodic, but a terminated B&W style line should also work well. MJK, where are the new worksheets!

Puggie, ditto,and yes, the B&W enclosures were an influence on design, but god knows what the new ones will look like. I might be able to get some ATC 12"s from a mate for the very bottom, so I am thinking Nautilus!

What's the model number of your 4.5"s?

They are the AP100Z0, the phase plugs were machined from stainless steel and powdercoated black (look quite smart, straight taper) then shimmed and glued into place with superglue.

I'm toying with thw terminated lines for my Bandor 50s, looking like a traditional single folded tapered TL but no opening at the terminus.

Well these were Vikash's drivers from the Maplin buyout.
I got 2 pairs so have modded 1 by cutting away the dustcap and fitting the phase plug, I'll measure the frequency response of both and decide if I'm going to do another or use the remaining 3 for the start of a cheap surround sound setup ;)

Very nice speakers that you have there sir pinkmouse ;-)

shinOBIWAN: Yes, AM and HM series were with phase plugs. AP series were all with polymer chassis and no phase plug.
I think that if 100Z0 are well implemented and used for what they really can do (no lows) they may sound similar or even more interesting than the ATC.
Just an idea: You could also choose your other drivers, your working scheme, proceed with cabinets, then measure SPL magnitudes and impedances in your boxes, post your findings here, and perhaps then there could be formed a group to work with the crossovers. Then, you would perhaps end up with various interpretations to play with :) Also, if some other members purchased the rest of this stock, and all together ended up with a similar partnership of drivers and cabinets, the whole idea would be very interesting. Then everyone would give his optics, and either you would all end up with something special, or you would end up quarreling and tearing apart your aerogel cones – it would be a good experience either way, since, though you are a strong team, I see no real Loudspeaker team works in the forum ;-)

Puggie: Unfortunately the drivers are different. They may have the same material for their cone, but don’t forget that 100Z0 has ca 2,5 gr of moving mass in a motor with a BL figure of near 5 NA-1, which make up for an acceleration factor of near 2000 and 93dB sensitivity. AP100Z0 is a bass-mid driver with 8dB less sens., lower BL, almost double m.mass, different suspension chassis and voice coil, more than double the inductance etc. Still though, these AP are very honest little drivers, exceptional for their price.

Well-

I just emailed Ivan- I've got quite the collection of aerogels going already, hehe, and no doubt it is a great cone matereal. So anyway I may be in on this one. I've loved the aero sound for a long time now, and it looks like a pair of supers with shipping from solen will run around $1500- which is up there considering that I should probably get 3 just in case i need to send one back for repairs (which would take a while no doubt). So this is certainly interesting to me. . .

Hey pinkmouse:

do you have any experience with aperiodic loading of the larger audax units?? I already have a pair of am210z2's here that I'm thinking might work as the LM in a 4 way with the 100's. . . I would guess that this would potentially solve the rattling problem in the 90-180hz range, which seems to be rear wave related.

But I'm wondering how low they would go in that type of configuration? I also have some TC2+ subs already, so if I could get away get good coverage from 70-80hz or so up to 300-400hz for the hm100's I would be pretty happy. Plus it would seem the two aeros should mate quite well, no?

Also given the unavailability of the audax piezo tweets, is there somthing else that you would recomend, dome wise to mate with the 100's? I would look at some ribbons, but I don't like that narrow vertical dispersion. Thanks-

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ryan,

I started a thread on the HM100Z0 so hopefully we can all pool together and come up with something rather stunning for the money involved.

I think Al recommended the Morel MDT33 as a superb tweeter to mate to the design more cost effective but still good would be the MDT30s or MDT32s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.