System Pictures & Description

My Clones......

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 3,397
Finished my folded TQWTs using the buyout Peerless 831735 woofer and Dayton DC28FST tweeters. This was a first DIY project. It was accomplished after spending about 6 months mining this site for knowledge, construction tips and ideas. Thank you to everyone who participates here.

External dimensions are 8" wide, 14" deep, 47" tall. The internal taper goes from 6.5"^2 (bottom rear) to 78"^2 (bottom front). The internal sound path is 93". The construction is 3/4" birch ply, with 1/2" particle board sandwiched on the baffle, top and bottom.

The port is 2.75" wide x 4.25" deep, created by gluing two 1.5x3.5" wood blocks at the interior intersection of the bottom and front panels and then tunneling through them.

The crossover is passive, 1850 Hz. 3rd order low pass, 2nd order high pass, with only about 2dB of BSC.

Yes, that tweeter is rear-mounted, with a 'waveguide' routed and sanded into the 1.25" thick front baffle. The cabinets sit on 3/4" spikes, which did make a noticeable improvement in the bass.

The speakers do sound very nice and clear, but the relatively low efficiency of the woofers (SPL 86.5) does require turning up the volume to get room-filling sound.

Pictures are below. You'll see why a somewhat tall, narrow design was required.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look rough , sound great!!

Not a good day for posting here or chipamp page as quality of finish much better than mine.
This is my first diy speakers system in years.I remember my first was to put car speakers in cabinets powered by a walkman cassette 25 yrs ago!
3 way Hybrid open baffle (driven by 3 way active crossover amp)
Crossover at textbook 300hz/3.5kz.
HF dome and Mid 8" drivers cheap DME brand ($80 the lot).these i hope to upgrade in the future.
Open baffle section is to be remade in nice wood by a freind with good woodworking skill.
LF 10" Redback brand spec states go down to 30hz.Mdf cabinet about 110litres ,reflex port at back.
Of coarse im going to say they sound great!!having active system means they play well beyond confortable levels and stay clear.
The bass is the standout quality in this system.clean,smooth and deep. i dont have a measurment setup but listen to some dub (Pitch Black from new zealand) the bass drop sweeps must close to 30hz. My other system is Monitor Audio bronze bookshelfs with a sub so i know what low sound like.

Attachments

• DSCF1241.JPG
    DSCF1241.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCF1242.JPG
    DSCF1242.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCF1243.JPG
    DSCF1243.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 551
Sorry for the odd photos, but they are the best my Droid X can take. My sources are a Playstation SCPH-1001 ($15, Salvation Army), early Airport Express ($20, eBay), Pioneer TX-540 FM receiver ($13, Goodwill), iPod with line-out dock ($10, eBay), and Vizio aux. out (well, came with the TV).

The amplifier is a LM1875 (following the Makezine Squelette article, total of $40?) boxed in an Ikea tissue box ($8) with a four pole, five position rotary switch ($5) and 50k surface-mount pot for volume control ($15).

The speakers are Tritrix MTMs -- the drivers and crossover components came as a kit and the enclosures were my first DIY speaker project, totaling about $125. Nearly all interconnects and both speaker cables came from one run of patio cord (dubbed 'White Lightning Moonshine') with affordable connectors I picked up in Saigon while traveling.

I have a very small budget, being a recent post-grad in the USA, but I have to say that this setup is the ultimate 'starving-[recent]student' system! Decent CDP (trying mods soon), digital out from iPod and Airport, great sounding FM for KEXP and NPR, and reasonable DVD/TV audio output. All for less than $300.

Attachments

• shot_1306446835087.jpg
    shot_1306446835087.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 3,054
  • shot_1306447009378.jpg
    shot_1306447009378.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 2,874
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry for the odd photos, but they are the best my Droid X can take. My sources are a Playstation SCPH-1001 ($15, Salvation Army), early Airport Express ($20, eBay), Pioneer TX-540 FM receiver ($13, Goodwill), iPod with line-out dock ($10, eBay), and Vizio aux. out (well, came with the TV).

You do know the whole playstation cd player thing was started as an April fools right? It's an ok CD player but there isn't anything magical about it.

Nice speakers through :D

MY STUDIO SYSTEM

How is this for a different system:

Preamp along1986090 preamp kit with their cabinet
MP3 WMA Player by Along1986090
Car 4 channel automotive amp. 200 Watts [the power supply is a 650 watt computer power supply.]
I am driving a pair of hombrew e ways speakers in ported cabinet.

Sounds great.

I now have this hooked up to a NAD 912 main amp and it all sounds wonderful.....also using an external DAC and Foobar for music from our computer network

Attachments

• rig for diyaudio.jpg
    rig for diyaudio.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,650
You do know the whole playstation cd player thing was started as an April fools right? It's an ok CD player but there isn't anything magical about it.

Nice speakers through :D

Thanks for the compliments on the speakers! They sound great but could definitely use a subwoofer to fill out the bottom end (they're the sealed Tritrix enclosures).

As for the Playstation, I didn't know that it was started as an April Fools joke, but it sounds great to my ears and for sure is better sounding than the DVD player under the FM receiver. I've never had the pleasure of owning a decent CD player, so until I can find (or build) something nicer, the Playstation will have to do!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I call them the Appreticeships.

It's walnut veneer finished with oil. A buddy re-finished his Klipsch Fortes with it and he had some left over. I took his left overs and glue for $50. It's a plywood back veneer so very thick (about 2 or 3mm). This gives it a robust look and is very easy to apply, but you can see the edges... My first time applying veneer. Happy with how it turned out. I think the baffle needs another sand and coat of paint. I'm pretty bad at wood working :eek:

Details about the build are here: Nameless 2-way speaker build - AVS Forum