System Pictures & Description

I have these driven with a yamaha integrated amp from late '70. They make beautiful sound...

005.jpg

006.jpg

My speakers:
malikremenko.jpg

odziv10.gif

waterfall.gif

Made 10 years ago
Bass 10" RCF L10P10
Mid 2" dome S.I.P.E DM 50.8
Tweet Silk dome 1" Ciare HT262
System ws designed to be impulse coherent, and phase exact (square wave, no problem)...
Now facing garage wall... :(
Amp was diy Leach amp slightly modified, preamp also diy discrete full symetric, and Nakamichi CD with diy external DAC with PCM63p...

My latest creation

This is my second pair of multi-way. The project was initiated by the opportunity to buy several unused Vifa P17WJ-00-04 (4 ohm) at a rummage sale for $12/each. I bought 4 with the intention of building a WTW.

For those who are beginners like me, Here is a list of the more important things I learned.

1. Speaker building is not a cheap hobby. Even though the woofers, tweeters, and X-overs added up to $288, the whole thing cost me $572 with 24 different items! See the enclosed cost spreadsheet.
  2. The folks at Madisound are really helpful. They helped me choose a tweeter and designed the X-over for me. Of course I'm biased, but I think the woofer & tweeter blend seamlessly and I couldn't ask for a cleaner sound at this price range.
  3. I've read some posts advising against using real wood for cabinets because it resonates and may crack with age. I ignored that advice and used 3/4" oak. I've found that a well-braced cabinet with a 6.5" woofer does not resonate noticeably. As for cracking, I've never seen oak furniture crack with age, but time will tell. Real wood is easy to work with, and looks beautiful without veneer.
  4. My original plan was to make a D'Appolito design. I changed my mind when I found that I was unable to put the woofers close enough together, and cross them over at a low enough frequency, to eliminate lobbing between the woofers. I recommend anyone planning an MTM design read Mithat Konar's article at www.briotechnology.com.
That's most of what I learned on my 2nd project. If anyone wants detailed plans I'm happy to send them.

-Byron In Lawrence

Attachments

• speaker costs.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 93
  • homemade 1 cropped.JPG
    homemade 1 cropped.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 3,266
  • diagram X-section.JPG
    diagram X-section.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,313
They sound great. Last summers effort was a problem with the operator not the drivers. :D

For those that weren't there, here's Dr. Weldonstein and his faithful assistant Igor, working on the design:

185094d1282597186-7th-annual-vancouver-

The design is "finished":

185112d1282599087-7th-annual-vancouver-

It seems that the "faithful" Igor actually was unfaithful and had been Moonlighting. Igor's speaker is the weird monstrosity next to the good Doctor's Open Baffle masterpiece. The lowly hired help that one encounters today seem to have largely forgotten their place and have become obnoxious and sometimes obstreperous. What is the World coming to?

Best Regards,
TerryO

OB in Melbourne

This is my current system, in the process of going fully active mate :hypno2:

Definitely has the highest WAF factor so far and apparently its a breeze to dust compared to the old system.

Just finished the equipment rack from a beautiful piece of stone i 'found' in the shed. The shelves simply hang from the stone on just the right angle not to slip.

Unfortunately it looks better than it sounds.
One day Jim, one day.....

Dean

Attachments

• NB - Lounge.jpg
    NB - Lounge.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Stezza Stand - Side on.jpg
    Stezza Stand - Side on.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,005
  • NB - Side On.jpg
    NB - Side On.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,179
They are indeed low at the front. At first I thought the 25mm Plywood was bending from the 15kg I had on them? But as it turns out they just needed a few days to settle in. I have re leveled them since and checked for bending in the shelves with a straight end but all is good so far. Funnily the top shelf only has 5kg or so on it but it also settled roughly the same amount as the bottom heavier shelf?!?

As far as compared to a normal 4 legged shelf this one is much less to look at, works really well and seems to do a decent job of isolating mechanical transmission from the floor to components. My next step is to add some more elastic isolation of some sort and see what happens..

The covers can come off the speakers and be washed, everybody happy :)

Igor's speaker is the weird monstrosity

Igor, my fine feathered friend, your speaker's true elegance did indeed shine when one simply closed their eyes to the minor surface imperfections. As my dear mother once said: In time you will tire of looks but you will never tire of inner beauty. Your speakers are high on the ladder of inner beauty my friend.

They just need a little make-up. ;)