System Pictures & Description

I'll play along....

"Spirit of Orion" loudspeakers.

No need for bass augment...one 12" + 200 Watts going to each of the down-firing subs:). In fact bass often needs to be reduced...

Villeneuve, great looking sub.

of course, when I grow up I wanna be just like Cal

Attachments

• Jordan.JPG
    Jordan.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 3,099
Last edited:
Lonely Oris 150

Seems I'm alone here in playing with Oris horn. Read a lot of 'new things' on the web, especially here, I've learned more and more about horns, OB, speaker designs... etc. That big, hard-to-integrate, once being expensive Oris horn became my burden. Now I know there're so many faults in it and there're so many good stuff out there, but, reluctant to let go, I just keep using it. Fortunately, I still enjoy listening to it.

Here's some brief history:

Several years ago, posted here earlier in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=679444&postcount=762
(Actually there was an even earlier version with only 1 woofer per side, when I was still single. No picture left.)

And then I lost my previous job, moved to a smaller rental apartment. There was virtually no storage space so I just tried to put my stuff all together and set them up in that small space. It's proved to be a monster. Let alone in that space. Just before I gave up the big baffle, I learned the wonderful T-bass circuit. It's a pity I had sold 2 of the woofers previously, so I lost the chance to liven up that 3-woofer configuration:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1436093&postcount=5
(that baffle size alone brought a lot of fun, I must admit... )

After several months of pure OB life, I moved again. Now it's a better and slightly roomier place, so I got the horn back in my system. Rebuilt the whole speaker and posted here, unforturnately it got not much attention. It's now far better integrated and much more conservative and reasonable than the previous one:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1903245&postcount=8

Days ago, I added a small in action but big in effect mod to it. Now the whole thing look like this:
IMG_7472.jpg

It's the best sounding speaker I've built up to now. I'm very happy with it :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
the B.U.S.

Sure are a lot of pretty speakers here. You guys do beautiful work!

But just to keep it real, how about my Big Ugly Speakers? A work in progress to be sure. 15 ft^3 (425 liters) Altec 803 horn, 416-8A woofers. Radian compression drivers. With these, I might even get respect from Cal. ;)

They'll be pretty some day.....

Attachments

• Bus-5.jpg
    Bus-5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 979
I guess I'll throw my babies in...

These are basic 3 ways using all Eton drivers; 11-581, 5-880, 25SD1.

The boxes are 2 inch high density MDF with white oak corners. The corners are radiused to 3 inches. The tops and bottoms are 1 inch oak done like a butcher block. The fronts and sides are covered in felt. Port in the rear.

These will be tri-amp'd using SKA amps. The crossovers are switchable 2nd to 3rd order and each set point is switchable to 10 different freqs, my own design; Nothing fancy, fet source followers.

They are far from finished yet and I'm months behind. The drivers are not countersunk yet I wanted to get music and test tones through them to get a better idea what to do.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCI0173-1.jpg
    DSCI0173-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSCI0172-1.jpg
    DSCI0172-1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,317
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The boxes are 2 inch high density MDF with white oak corners.

Nice look! Can you post a photo of the sides, please?

CLS said:
Is that box sealed? I don't see any port.
Ports are on the sides at the back. And an internal baffle that doesn't show here. It's a Mass Loaded Transmission Line (MLTL) design by forum member GM.

The corners are oak with the MDF attached to the sides and front. The MDF is glued and pocket screwed. The panels are 2 1" thick pieces glued together.

The corners were made on a table saw by angling the blade 15 degrees and cutting, angle 15 more degrees and cut. Then sand with an orbital to finish the radius.

The M and T drivers also each have their own internal box.

The boxes are 50" tall x 16" wide x 18" deep. The boxes are made to handle 2 woofers (when I can purchase 2 more) and at the moment some of the volume is blocked off. The internal picture doesn't show this.

Port in the rear.

The WAF is no longer an issue as of a couple years ago... So build 'em BIG!

Good lord weldon!

That's no moon... IT'S A SPACE STATION!!

Here's my new lautsprechers:

System as of today
-Ortofon 2M Red (saving for a Benz Micro Ace tho!)
-Pro-Ject Xpression II
-Jolida JD100A Passive Pre
-Audiosector LM3875 Stereo w. seperate PSU
-PS3 with Yellowdog Linux
-Pro-Ject Phono Box II
-Xenophonics.net "Low-Budget's"
-Very Fancy Homemade interconnects

Currently being assembled is a Tubelab SimpeSE, Aikido Pre, and Chipamp LM3886 Monoblocks w. seperate PSU's.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 3,026
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 910