System Pictures & Description

My first contribution to the thread....

Have way more ideas than I have time to complete them, like many here. The picture below shows my recently completed Modula MTM (Jon Marsh's design on htguide.com) in DIYBOX's cabinet.

The TT you see in the background is a Teres TT that I built the plinth for. The stands are my fault too.

What you can't quite see in the picture is that I am currently using way too many sources (Teres, Tuner, SqueezeBox2, Pioneer DV578a, Sony XA777ES, PVR/tuner). The DAC/ADC/Pre is a DEQX, the amplification is UCD 400 modules. Power conditioning is done by 3 Felicia's (on another forum).

This is the stop gap system till I complete what projects are in the works currently. I have high hopes for the results, but don't we all? ;)

Attachments

• modulamtm1_small.jpg
    modulamtm1_small.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3,328
BobEllis said:
Just a hint: Speaking and writing well will get you a lot further in life than raw intellect. ;)

Poor spelling and grammar seems to have spread far and wide like a disease. It amazes me that educated and intelligent people seem to have such low standards in this area. I regularly see mistakes of the kind that I would not have tolerated in my primary school assignments! This is even true of some who have a PHD! I once saw a quote taken from a website, the author of which will remain nameless. The grammar and spelling was so poor that it was difficult to discern what he was talking about, to the point that I was embarrassed on his behalf.

Most people need to be able to write coherently without obvious grammar and spelling mistakes. If you doubt this, then put yourself in the position of an employer looking at resumes. When you have a lot of them, you won't bother with those that aren't written coherently.

I realise that some may have some genuine reasons why their grammar isn't very good, but what bothers me is those that don't bother!

I've indulged this off topic rant long enough, so I'll stop now.

long time reader, first time poster, yada yada yada.

My recently finished Creative Sound WR125 project for my home office. A logitech computer speaker, and a Infinity home theater speaker for comparison.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the backs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 80's vintage Denon electronics.

Next project = equipment rack... someday.... maybe.... :)

planet10 said:

Good looking :)

What was the rationale behind the tweeter placement?

dave

The rational was that after I cut my tweeter hole, I realized that tweeter+mid+port on the front panel was going to be too tight a fit with the edge treatment I wanted to do ;)

So I moved the port to the back, and moved the mid down. Still sounds pretty good.... I love these 125's.

And yes that is a tweeter attenuator. These were some old tweeters I had, and I wasn't sure of the exact sensitivity, so the variable attenuator worked out better than a fixed pad value.

Finally the pics of Francis' apologies;
The system:eek:

In the rack,
the lowest component - DVD player (Philips)
over this comes the centre channel speaker(DIY)
over this is the JVC AV receiver
right hand side is the sub and its appendages
on the left is one main speaker

Must be the worst looking system on the planet. I promise to better the looks.
I'm in the process of re-working the mains so that they are capable of holding their own without subwoofers.

There is another dainty syatem on the left extreme; this is my little joy - the JVC mini HiFi EX-TD5 which was the best little system in its day(circa 1997). I use this for cassette tapes and audio CDs only.

Humbly,
Francis

Attachments

• system!!!.jpg
    system!!!.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,887
Cal,
Yes it is. I'm glad to make someone gulp at the thought of my system(hope it is out of awe);) .
This tweeter is a Radioshack and very efficient due to horn loading. I like the fact that there is no crossover to muddle up things.
The only HF filtering is the crappy capacitor built into the main driver (for its own teenie-weenie tweets), which I may disconnect later.

Regards,
Francis

In case anyone is interested...

This (attached photo) is my current front stage and 2.35:1 screen. The LCR (left Centre Right) speakers are identical units each using 2 Vifa 6 1/2" woofers and three Vifa "ring" super tweeters. Crossover is 2nd order LR network at 1550Hz...

The Surrounds (not pictured) use the same drivers,(with only two tweeters and modified crossover) and are bipolar in the same size enclosure. Their drives are mounted on opposite sides and fire front and back...

The Subs use Peerless active/passive combo XLS drivers and 350 watt amp...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it...

Mark

Attachments

• us and wide screen.jpg
    us and wide screen.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,823
Byrd said:
That settles it - I need to start making plans to move to a country with women like that. The only women I have ever seen smiling around Audio / HT equipment till now are usualy in the films I watch.

I think she is smiling cause she's trying to get away or she was disrespectfully standing infront of the shot of the system, so he grabbed her :D

Also, you get my higly coveted hottest wife on DIYaudio award :eek: