System Pictures & Description

our newest build, time to break them in and do some final network tweaking if needed

the Master Artist Signatures

Attachments

• ma22.jpg
    ma22.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 512
  • ma44.jpg
    ma44.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 1013250

Front system (living room):
Name: "NEO"
Hi: On pic Bliesma T34A-4, actually swapped to SB TW29DN
Mid: 18Sound 8NMB420
Lo: Faital Pro 18FH500-8 @140l BR, 33Hz
Amps/DSP: Hypex FA503

View attachment 1013283 View attachment 1013284

View attachment 1013260

View attachment 1013268
View attachment 1013266
View attachment 1013267

Background system (now in my home office):
Name: "Scandinavian Connection"
Hi: Seas DXT
Mid: SB15NBAC30-4
Lo: 2x Scan Speak 26W8534G00 @65l CB
Amps/DSP: Hypex FA123

View attachment 1013281

View attachment 1013269

View attachment 1013273
View attachment 1013277
View attachment 1013279
View attachment 1013280

Best regards
Peter
They both look amazing. Looks and measurements. Do you have a favorite sound wise?

I finally gave up on the inconvenience of my previous tube rolling ways, and got a second turntable and extra headshells for rolling cartridges. And now that I have one, and two favourites for it as extras, I don't really change cartridges much anymore.
For speakers, I use a sealed bipole subwoofer and two old M&K Satellite 1B, mixing active and passive crossovers to knock down room modes with wide crossover points, and a boxed mono midbass dipole coupler made from parts of two previous open baffles.

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_165806.jpg
    IMG_20220614_165806.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20220614_170414.jpg
    IMG_20220614_170414.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: 1 user
My first time image posting on a forum, I tried to add a description after posting the images but it wouldn't let me for some reason!

My Lxmini (temporarily placed while I recover from foot surgery, I'll tidy it up as soon as I can walk again) with 2x ncore powers and the N Pass designed crossover. I love these speakers and they are simply just enjoyable to listen to. The centre image (vocals especially) seem to spread out from them, filling the room. They seem to excel with live recordings and really love playing live jazz.

I built the troels sba10 a while back. They sound phenomenal (following a dirac intervention due to my room) vocals sound real to me and the imaging is to die for. I suspect with a bigger room They would sound better still. They (clearly) aren't finished yet.

I love the troels so much I'm considering paying for someone to build professional looking cabinets for them.
Great job with Sba10
I am also planning to build one.

Hey peeps! :)
I just built a new crossover for a coaxial speaker based on Beyma 15XA38ND and it turned out very eye-catching so I thought why not to share it here. Maybe it will give dudes idea to build networks with similar idea. The owner of the speaker decided to place the crossovers on top of the speaker instead of shoving it inside the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_021856_654.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021856_654.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20220621_021826_646.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021826_646.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_20220621_021828_611.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021828_611.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20220621_021830_697.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021830_697.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20220621_021833_136.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021833_136.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20220621_021835_811.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021835_811.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20220621_021838_763.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021838_763.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20220621_021846_339.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021846_339.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20220621_021851_823.jpg
    IMG_20220621_021851_823.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 346
Reactions: 5 users
I particularly like your DIY potting of the coils! :) Did you purchase magnet wire and wind them yourself?

On thing I prefer is NOT having it on a solid base - I actually prefer perforated *glass board that's had damping applied to it. Still, you do have those cool risers for the Cap's and Resistors. (y)

*..that could be veneered with a similar wood to get that sweet finish you have.

High efficiency 95dB/2.83V, 3-way, 1st order series crossover.

I began this project around 2012 armed with a mini dsp, 12" woofers in a 125L cabs using the pr170mo along the PR17 supertweeter xo'ed at 5khz. Passive xo between the mids-tweet and active woofers via mini dsp. It sounded great but i could never make the bass sing along the mid and treble.

2012:

2020:

About a year ago, i had way too much time on my hands and so this project came back to life!
A friend that used to be active here and is an "Audio Industry" personality who prefers to named as "Magnum Innominandum" helped me greatly to design this speaker. He helped to design the cross over and the entire system really. I'll quote some of his comments about the design.

Drivers:
Planar tweeter: HiVi RT2HA: https://www.parts-express.com/HiVi-RT2H-A-Planar-Isodynamic-Tweeter-297-407
Midrange: Audax 170MO: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pro-sound/audax-pr170m0-6.5-midrange-100db/
Woofers: Eminence Omega Pro 15's https://usspeaker.com/OmegaPro-15A-1.htm

Measurements:
FR measurements: Yellow line is 1.5M away from the speakers, mic at the mid level. the green line is the same speaker but now measured from the listening position.

Series xo:
The whole crossover contain no resistors to lower sensitvity, only two Inductors and two Capacitors.
The reason I always prefer series networks for 1st order crossovers, is that due the use of "shunt elements" at frequencies where the driver impedance is approximately resistive means the drivers inductance and LF resonances do not require compensation networks.
This is totally independent from all the articles all over the net where debunkers try to prove that there is no difference between series and parallel network. This case is only true for resistors, not for real drivers. A parallel type crossover would require both voice coil inductance and driver LF resonance to be compensated, making the parts count very large, especially for the midrange.
In effect, the planar Tweeter is a resistor, the midrange will need RC "Zobel" to compensate the voice coil inductance and at least one RLC "Trap" to compensate the impedance "humps" at low frequencies to make it behave like a resistor. The Bass Driver would need a RC "Zobel". Then an equivalent parallel crossover will work broadly equal. The series network does not need these compensation elements and is super simple.
Midband sensitivity is around 95dB/2.83V/1m with around 6 Ohm impedance.
final crossover pics. MIT multi cap PPFX caps used in the critical midrange. MKP type caps for the bass.

test xo:

Mid-tweet offset:
normally, a offset of the mid-tweet in relation to the woofer result in a smoother transition between bass to mid. I would have prefered to have the woofer, the mid and the planar all centered but here's the simulations:
no offset:

offset:

Sub enclosure for the mid:
closed enclosure to isolate the mid-tweet.

Denim foam installed:

Here you can see the FR when the mid have been removed. interesting to note here that the sub enclosure was not closed, hence you see a peak at around 600-800hz. that peak is gone in the final speakers once the sub enclosure is closed and foam installed. mic at the LP

Bracing is based on this super simple design: http://www.realoldiesradio.com/docs/EV/ElectroVoice_TL606.pdf
ive installed on each inner panels 2x4 glued. i havent taken any pics of the bracing. ive really went the simpler and probably compromised bracing technique by gluing 2 x4 along the back and side walls, but I hear absolutely no cabinet colorations to the sound.

How does it sound? Like the real thing. The closest system to truly create the illusion of live music ive ever heard. Mindblowing sound. Very inspirational. I'll be building a couple of versions with different drivers and cabinet arrangment along different mid driver to find my favorite combination. very very exciting stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Like the idea of full sealed and no resistors. Cool design.
What are the cut offs please ? Are they assymetric or symetric xo between drivers. Curve looks good to me whatever it says nothing from the sound I surmise to be good with that drivers... I know wolfteeth here who is an experienced diy designer likes this tweeter too if my reading memory serves me well.

Do you always have ECDESIGNS stuffs ?

Like the idea of full sealed and no resistors. Cool design.
What are the cut offs please ? Are they assymetric or symetric xo between drivers. Curve looks good to me whatever it says nothing from the sound I surmise to be good with that drivers... I know wolfteeth here who is an experienced diy designer likes this tweeter too if my reading memory serves me well.

Do you always have ECDESIGNS stuffs ?
if i look at the graph ive posted showing the mids removed, id say xo points are about: 300hz/ 1.8khz

i dont remember if i had to inverse the mid phase. ill confirm later once i swap the audax for the phl 1120 im waiting to try here

Having a sub enclosure for the mid proved to be CRITICAL. I should show more measurements, but my first set of measurements were done without the sub enclosure closed, and I had serious peak around 600hz. adding foam and closing the sub ennclosure removed entirely the peaks in the mids.

Actually, here you can see: this was measured without the sub enclosure. look between 600 and 1.2khz response:

then look between 600 to 2khz once its closed: dismiss under 100hz, there was no ports installed.

I think a sub enclosure was probably critical here.

Yes, im using the U192 + Mosaic T ec design dac for my speaker system.

the tweeter: im in love with it. complete love. if its good enough for the Ascendo Crescendo speaker, its good enough for my DIY speaker.
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/ascendo3/4.html

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Looks to me more clever on the paper at least, than the big classic 3 ways from Gravsen... while I understand his limitations due to the tigth economical model.
I made an Harbeth like, while nothing exceptional I'd love to see more sealed systems..though a little attracted by open baffle or open no baffle w/o experienced them yet. What a hobby ! :)

I didn't know this tweeter could handle such a low XO first order.
..most of the higher spl non-linear distortion below 4kHz is 2nd order.

Note that it might be an ELECTRICAL first order - but it certainly isn't going to be a resulting 1st order crossover crossed that low (..if it is crossed that low). (..and that smaller Inductor forming the high-pass for the tweeter looks fairly small.)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello Scott,
Btw the other Scott (ScottL) if I remember used also the PR170Z0 (aerogel but with a very tiny usuable bandwidth due to more pronounced break-ups and faster low end roll off)
:) I think the loudspeaker you refer from Loesh indeed used the PR17M0 but was a two ways. I do not remember what is the loudspeaker that was his inspiration with the same mid (Advent ?)...

That PR17MO has a Xmax of a good tweeter...0,5 mm. Which is tricky for a first order. I think Youknowyou uses his speakers in a little rrom in a near field.

Yeah, I think he had several.

They (my old ZO's) really only need a 1mh Inductor in series (assuming a parallel network) to provide both their low-pass filter and correction (though that's assuming a complementary baffle/baffle-step result). They do require some serious suspension "break-in" to get really good depth from them (and a very low-loss interior cabinet). Target about 96 db average.

The new version of the ZO looks a bit different to me (surround, rear cone color, and rear magnet shape). I wouldn't trust the measurements shown for it (though that's true for most drivers).

https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/speaker-audax-pr170z0-8-ohm-7-48-inch.html

The MO version is easier to work with (overall), but doesn't have the same clarity.

Thanks, that is a good tip to know you liked better the Audax than the PHL. I didn't know this tweeter could handle such a low XO first order. But at seing the Audax datasheet it makes sense because the little bump in the impedance curve.
oh! wait a minute :)
ill be receiving a pair to compare to the audax! never heard the PHL yet

exciting times!

Reactions: 1 users
..most of the higher spl non-linear distortion below 4kHz is 2nd order.

Note that it might be an ELECTRICAL first order - but it certainly isn't going to be a resulting 1st order crossover crossed that low (..if it is crossed that low). (..and that smaller Inductor forming the high-pass for the tweeter looks fairly small.)
Xo points were actually 1200hz and 300hz
Acoustically, its a 3rd order highpass on the Planar and 1st order lowpass on the PR170M0.