System Pictures & Description

3D printed horn speaker

Here are some photographs showing my prototype 3D printed horns. I modelled and printed the various parts myself -which took about two weeks of almost nonstop printing. I needed about 2000 meter of 3mm filament during the process...

The mid/high horn has a Le'Cleach curve with mouth termination of 360 degrees. I am thinking of starting a separate tread about these horns and how they are built and measured, if people are interested.

The driver is the well respected BMS 4592ND; when they were launched back then, I was one of the early purchasers as I saw the huge advantage of a coaxial driver, and I must say it was my best investment that got me years of joy.. uhhm it took a lot of time to dial in these drivers, but if you succeed you will be rewarded. DSP has made things so much easier...

My first horn with these drivers were a radial tractrix horn made of concrete. It was a good horn, but this one sound better to me. Actually it is impossible to compare, because I did not have a dsp at hand back then. It may also be better... I did not keep the old ones as I disposed them due to storage issues. One thing is for shure: the printed ones are much lighter.

I think these horns are pretty unique, I never found other examples of such a big horn 3D printed and I guess for a reason. I may release the design on thingiverse.com, if there would be a demand. I have a second pair waiting to be assembled, I will try them on Cabasse DOM8 drivers that I own and do not yet have a purpose for.

Attachments

• Hoorns en ik.jpg
    Hoorns en ik.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Hoorn achterkant.jpg
    Hoorn achterkant.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,054
Reactions: 1 user
What is the xo F to the bass? Could you give some details on bass cabinet also?

I do not really use a fixed crossover point but I do use lowpass and highpass filters.

The basshorn covers 70hz-500hz approx. and the mid/high horn fall off gradually below 300-350hz. I try to use natural roll-off as much as possible and filter only to reduce cone/diafragm movement or to avoid high frequency rubbish.

I might publish some measurements when I am done with some adjustments :)

Hi Wolf,

indeed that is a glass/vacuum capacitor of only a handfull of pF's.
Just clipping of some edgy sound. Playing with Duelunds, Silver-Mica's and glass/vacuum as bypass-caps. All very small values.
No need for large values as this will change the XO-freq but large enough that a sharp edge is gone.

Regards,
Reinout

Another of those crazy projects finished (finally). Saw a pair of bamboo bowls at IKEA and decided to get a pair and build small portable speakers. After three years they are finished.
Using Swann B3n (I think) and cheap Chinese ribbon speakers and a simple 2-way 6 dB filter. I had to get them ready for a DIY/HiFi-summit in November, as the Dayton Audio exciters still (after 2 months) haven't arrived. Had planned to use them in 2.1-system, so I may have to make some changes in my plans.
(And the 10" Dayton driver seems to have stranded somewhere as well).

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    793.7 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    648.8 KB · Views: 769
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I built a set of small sealed monitor type speakers. These are in my living room on Atacama 600mm tall stands. Powered by 6 channels of Tom Christiansen’s Modulus 86. Crossovers are all digital in an Analog Precision Ultimate Preamp. 4th order LR acoustic all round although still fiddling that and I need to perform some additional measurements. All of the crossovers are based on 2nd order biquads. All balanced interconnects pre to power.

Speakers are Eton 8- 412/C8/32; mids are a SS Discovery 10-F8424 and tweeters are Beyma TPL-75.

It’s quite clean but not particularly dynamic.

Attachments

• 98F1F669-D35A-41E5-95B2-D7740463BC43.jpg
    98F1F669-D35A-41E5-95B2-D7740463BC43.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 771
Here are some photographs showing my prototype 3D printed horns. I modelled and printed the various parts myself -which took about two weeks of almost nonstop printing. I needed about 2000 meter of 3mm filament during the process...

The mid/high horn has a Le'Cleach curve with mouth termination of 360 degrees. I am thinking of starting a separate tread about these horns and how they are built and measured, if people are interested.

The driver is the well respected BMS 4592ND; when they were launched back then, I was one of the early purchasers as I saw the huge advantage of a coaxial driver, and I must say it was my best investment that got me years of joy.. uhhm it took a lot of time to dial in these drivers, but if you succeed you will be rewarded. DSP has made things so much easier...

My first horn with these drivers were a radial tractrix horn made of concrete. It was a good horn, but this one sound better to me. Actually it is impossible to compare, because I did not have a dsp at hand back then. It may also be better... I did not keep the old ones as I disposed them due to storage issues. One thing is for shure: the printed ones are much lighter.

I think these horns are pretty unique, I never found other examples of such a big horn 3D printed and I guess for a reason. I may release the design on thingiverse.com, if there would be a demand. I have a second pair waiting to be assembled, I will try them on Cabasse DOM8 drivers that I own and do not yet have a purpose for.
Wow, if closer id order a pair for some Faitalpro compression drivers.