SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

Just going to add that I heard Finns setup at Rainbow Serpent and it sounded great ! Was curious to what boxes he was using and now have bumped into him and had a chat. Quite impressed with how the two way system works compared to our 3 way Unity horns. Would like to get them side by side some time and take some measurements.

Good work Finn !

.p.

FinBot, I agree that it is "intellectual property", that is the problem (somebody else's patent!) and it will have to remain in the DIY community (at least legally). I still doubt there would be issues sharing (maybe even selling?) plans to build your speaker.

I'd love to hear your speakers, I'm not far from Melbourne, but it's the one in Florida USA :)
No kangaroos here and our Foster's is brewed in Canada so it can say it's "imported" :(

As I mentioned in the OP, any person wishing to duplicate my Welter Systems designs for their own use is welcome to, any person or corporate entity that would like to produce them for sale should contact me to arrange a licensing deal to avoid violation of intellectual property rights as defined in section 27 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted as international law in 1976.

I also would have "issues" with anyone selling the SynTripP design plans without my receiving a cut, but can only rely on the good will of the DIY community for that :yummy:.

Art

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Coco Poco Loco, renegade party, sunday night. 500 people in attendance.

You could hear people coming back from the other dancefloors saying "this system is so clean and clear, lets stay here".

The guys from Emancipator said they spent the weekend at the artcar because we had the best sound at the festival.

It was quite incredible how low distortion the syntripps were. It's quite a surreal experience being in front of such clean sound at high volume.

Eldam,

As I have far too many speakers already, and am planning to move to a (potentially) smaller house, probably won't be completing any domestic speakers for some time.

I have completed four dual Maltese horn units using the 3.5" Tymphony TC9FD-18-08 used for center fill below the SynTripP, and they work very well "filling the hole".

Feel good about finally using some of the Maltese horns for sound again after most of them being relegated to patio furniture use for the last 19 years...

Art

Attachments

• SynTripP, Maltese Center fill.jpg
    SynTripP, Maltese Center fill.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:
I have read this post in it's entirety and you guys have done awesome moving it forward. Is the best way to build this from plans still from Art's original drawings and examples? I have seen Finbot's drawings as well, but would prefer the standard vs. metric for build, and the last drawings I saw from him, I believe are not finalized. I have built Art's Keystone subs and they are awesome. I am hoping to tackle some SyntripP's as well. Thanks

Last edited:
Is the best way to build this from plans still from Art's original drawings and examples? I have seen Finbot's drawings as well, but would prefer the standard vs. metric for build, and the last drawings I saw from him, I believe are not finalized. I have built Art's Keystone subs and they are awesome.
Thanks for the compliment.

Finbot has not sent me his completed CAD drawings for review, so I don't know if the corrections I had suggested in his earlier versions have been implemented.

My drawings and plans reflect the original SynTripP design as built.

Art

Just an FYI: I decided to use a 2/3 size secondary horn.

Why? Those things are huge, and it would have impeded on the cranes on the artcar.

I understand this would have an impact on the response of the horns. I expected it to be something along the scale between that of using secondary horns and not using secondary horns.

Ill take some measurements in the coming weeks and let you know what impact it had.

To the ear I still found we have consistent response all around the listening space.

Last edited:
Apologies again for the delay in the Model/Plans.

We were running short of time in December so we printed what we had modeled, which was sufficient for an accurate build...but the plans dont look very elegant and everything is currently poorly labelled.

Given I don't know solid works very well, if anyone would like to have a go at turning the model into cut plans, and generally tidying it up (or even fixing it if needed) let me know and Ill share the files.

Sadly (or stupidly) i wiped all the images I took of the construction, bar a few posted here and online. I think Rory the fabricator took a lot of pictures of the cuts in progress, so will see what we can find!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment.

Finbot has not sent me his completed CAD drawings for review, so I don't know if the corrections I had suggested in his earlier versions have been implemented.

My drawings and plans reflect the original SynTripP design as built.

Art

We did implement the corrections. The final drawings we used were within 1mm of the original design so it should be bang on. It fitted together neatly.

Hi Fin,

Hope the plans are coming along smoothly! I know how life can get quite busy and distracting at times. Your tops really did come out great looking and is quite the inspiration. Very much looking forward to any plans you've got put together thus far. Your time is very much respected & appreciated. If you have anything started, feel free to pass it my way - I'd like to wrap my head around a few things and get some parts ordered.

Thanks again, Art, for this wonderful solution of a design. Your (continued) hard work & dedication is definitely noticed, appreciated and valued highly. Also, how are you supporting your Maltese horns to the pole mount? Do you have the sub cabinet strapped to the board it sits on (strap going through a "slot/dual slot")?

Cheers to all involved! Without your questions and suggestions, many would still be scratching their heads.

Regards,
Justin

Also, how are you supporting your Maltese horns to the pole mount? Do you have the sub cabinet strapped to the board it sits on (strap going through a "slot/dual slot")?
Justin,

The sub shown in post # 229 is ratchet strapped to the plinth through handle holes, there are also foot holes to align the sub on it. The plinth is made of two pieces of 3/8" Smart Panel (impervious to rot, and quite strong) laminated together, and has strips of Smart Panel under to keep the strap off the ground.

The Maltese horns have a pole box attached to the bottom pair, the top pair are kept in alignment with rotatable "legs" on the top pair that fit between the grill and an alignment slat. The angle between the horns can be varied by rotating the rear shim, or leaving the shim out. The bottom of the pole box has a 90 degree aluminum angle cut to the arc of the pole box, a pair of EMT clamps secure it to the pole.

Art

Attachments

• Pole Box.jpg
    Pole Box.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Stand Mount.png
    Stand Mount.png
    913.6 KB · Views: 1,124
Last edited: