• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great news Hugh, thanks for posting first impressions.

#3 is of great interest to me as I tend to listen to music with significant bass content, though no-one likes to hear a bloated bottom end (at least, no one should like to hear it).

In light of the exciting work completed on this design (I have enjoyed reading the expert input) and the promising results I hope that I am able to get my hands on a pair of boards. Otherwise it might be time to test my hand at etching...

Cheers.
Tani.

Folks,

We are almost good to go for the Group Buy. I have all the semis, the pcbs have arrived sooner than I expected, and I will commence soldering all the VAS devices onto the pcbs this weekend.

The pcbs are just GREAT!!

Accordingly, can all those who have not yet contacted me

SEND DETAILS OF FULL NAME, ORDER QUANTITY, SHIPPING ADDRESS, AND PLEASE PAY ME ASAP THROUGH PAYPAL IN AUSSIE DOLLARS ($AUD60 including parts, $AUD50 just boards).

MY EMAIL IS ASPEN01 -at- OPTUSNET.COM.AU (Same email for Paypal)

Happy days, I'm pleased this has resolved, it was a long, long wait!

Cheers,

Hugh
Sorry Hugh
I didn't get any notification from this thread advisory for the delay in payment
I just sent the payment
can I ask for parts Sewell now? As I forgot to add that in my request
if yes-I can send the additional money
thanks for this PCB group buy
kannan

Kannan,
Thank you for your payment, received, I will post out on Monday. No problem at all with delay!
Hugh

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have spare pcbs, Tani, I shall visit you and deliver a pair personally in Mornington with my good friend Audiopip who lives not far from you in Sandhurst......

Hugh

That's a very kind offer Hugh, though I'm actually in Dromana which is about 30 mins from Sandhurst so it might be too far our of your way... On the other hand a sunny day in Dromana is hardly a chore so if you fancy a beer... my shout.

Otherwise, I also have friends in Sandhurst so I could visit them and meet you somewhere... knowing those friends as I do, beer would probably be involved there too.

Cheers. :cheers:
Tani.

There is an empty location directly below (south) of R11.
What fits there?

I just love the offset/bigger pads for the To92 devices. Easy to heat the pad before touching the device lead.

Is the * at the VR location an indication of the adjustment screw?
Has this been checked for clockwise rotation to "increase" the parameter being adjusted?

Is the a (anode) of the LEDs the -ve or +ve (short or long lead)? No square pad as polarity indicator.

7.5A seems to be overly high for PCB fuses.
For 8ohm speaker I would fit F2A or maybe F1.6A
For 6ohm speaker try F2.5A or F2A.

R15 appears to be located rather far from T5 gate.

Can we have an explanation of D1/2 A/B/C?

Is this the time to Launch a FetZilla Build Guide Thread?

Last edited:
Thoughts behind the FetZilla pcb design

Andrew,

You have an almost obsessive curiosity, someone must have traumatised you as a child when they said, 'Accept it, it's just the way it is'. In any event, your questions are reasonable.......

I just love the offset/bigger pads for the To92 devices. Easy to heat the pad before touching the device lead.

Design feature to help dissipate more heat from the TO92s both during assembly and operation. Inspiration came from the skull profile of the green monsters in 'Mars Attack' which are amongst my favorite scifi critters.

Is the * at the VR location an indication of the adjustment screw?
Has this been checked for clockwise rotation to "increase" the parameter being adjusted?

Yes, it's set up for the Bourns 3296W top adjust 25T trimpots. Yes, matches for P1 and P2, but not P3 unfortunately. It is difficult getting these right.

Is the a (anode) of the LEDs the -ve or +ve (short or long lead)? No square pad as polarity indicator.

'a' marking on the LED holes is anode (positive), which is the longer lead. LEDs should be mounted high on the pcb, with at least 1cm lead length. This is to prevent early failure, as they are prone to swift failure if overheated during installation. The pads on LED2 have been drilled for 1mm pcb pins to attach flying leads to a remotely located LED. This gives the option for front panel indicator duties. If the LED fails, the offset will drop about three volts, which will give the speaker driver a nasty fright but will not destroy it.

7.5A seems to be overly high for PCB fuses.

For 8ohm speaker I would fit F2A or maybe F1.6A
For 6ohm speaker try F2.5A or F2A.

The output devices are rated to 8A, and this gives plenty of headroom. Max required would be about 50% over max resistive current for reactive reasons (say around 6A), but your values are much too low and will have repercussions for sound quality since fuses are non-linear and thermal memory effects are considerable.

R15 appears to be located rather far from T5 gate.

What, Andrew, one centimetre? Get off the grass, these FETs will tolerate three inches!! On a CRO this amp is solid as a rock, no oscillation at all.

Can we have an explanation of D1/2 A/B/C?

These TO220AB BYQ28E (5A cont)/BYV32E (10A cont) packages contain TWO diodes with conjoined cathodes. You can thus make a full wave bridge with three packages, with the outer packages utilising just one diode in each. Compact, fast, inexpensive, and robust. I use this approach in many of my amps and it's utterly reliable and cost effective.

Is this the time to Launch a FetZilla Build Guide Thread?

Sure. I normally do around 10k words and 35 photos, like my AKSA and Lifeforce series, but this takes about three months to complete, much of it consumed by error correction. Something simpler might be sufficient, but building these boards is pretty straightforward for someone reasonably experienced. My one criticism of the board is that the component designations for vertical mount resistors and diodes went astray in the gerber conversion, which is irritating; they are all slightly displaced to the right and down a little. This is a problem with early versions of Protel; gerber conversion is not flawless.

John Rowland, thank you for your payment! Boards on the way tomorrrow (Monday here).

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
Hi Hugh,

Thought you'd like to know that another set of boards have arrived safely at their destination. I'd like to echo others here on the quality of design and manufacture. Many thanks for all your efforts.

I was just test-fitting some components, and noticed that you appear to have C7 and C8 voltage ratings swapped in the parts list. Both are 470uF, but I think C7 should be 16V and C8 should be 35V?

Cheers,

Ron

I spent most of the afternoon un-soldering and re-soldering the rectifier diodes, at both ends of the PCB. The middle rectifier diode is oriented the same at both ends.
The half diodes are inserted different at the two ends. I lost count how many wrong combinations I tried and had to re-do..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.