Switchable Hi-Z input impedance, how ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.......Tonestack Calculator from Duncan Amps. It is free and very useful for setting up different resistance and capacitance......

Hi Tinitus,

I'll second shanx in recommending TSC, in case you haven't tried it. It offers a fixed, useful set of topologies; component values can be changed easily (double-click and dialog box) and the results observed. It's also (almost too much) fun to play with.

Features

Download

Attachments

• TSC - James 04.gif
    TSC - James 04.gif
    44.3 KB · Views: 63
  • tsc_ani.gif
    tsc_ani.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 60
..all I get uploaded is computer software codes..

Mmm, see what you mean.....my browser does the same (? see below) if I left-click on the download link. Usually, though not always, clicking on a link to a file makes the browser ask if I want to open it or save it. Some inner mystery of http I suppose.

What works for me is this: On the download link do a right-click, which should make a context menu appear, then left-click on the "save link as" or "save file as" (whatever variation on this theme your browser gives you). This should tlet you save it to your machine. You can then run it by double clicking it - you might want to virus scan it first, just in case. Hope this helps. Nice do-the-job toolmaking earlier on btw.

Attachments

• Gobbledegook 01.gif
    Gobbledegook 01.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Getting TSC 01.gif
    Getting TSC 01.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Getting TSC 02.gif
    Getting TSC 02.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
setup gets weirder and weider
Creek head amp and compressor, nothing else
well, and my old LC Audio hifi stereo amp, to make it worse

the neat trick is that the head amp is only amplifying the top(midrange horn and CD)
and is adjustable
heh, it works great, best yet

Attachments

• IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 34
Weird? Nuts! It's an instrument amp setup - if it works for you to play through, then "That's the way to do it!" (c) Mr Punch 1891.

Anyway, if you want a weird competition :)D), I'll debar myself from audiophile land
forever (as if I hadn't already!) by revealing that my all time best hifi listening setup has a pair of AR-18s atop my lovely big old JBLs........close your eyes and you're in front of a proper PA stack.......:wiz:

:cheers:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi Tinitus,
If you are having problems with tone stack, maybe you should download Tonestack Calculator from Duncan Amps. It is free and very useful for setting up different resistance and capacitance. There are a lot of styles too, fender type vox, marshall. You could ''tune'' the response curves for bass. Are you getting too much signal attenuation on your tone controls?

Hi Tinitus,

I'll second shanx in recommending TSC, in case you haven't tried it......It's also (almost too much) fun to play with.

It's also (almost too much) fun to play with.
:cool::)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Did you finalize your front panel controls? or still working out the details?

the downloaded software to determine tone control plays a very important role in that part
I definately want them on the front panel now ;)

btw, I now connect my bass effects like in below layout
works ok to have the bass EQ on woofer only
but I had to solder some Jacks to RCA connects to make it possible
not optimal, but tells me Im on the right track here

Attachments

• bass pre effects layout.png
    bass pre effects layout.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 43
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
man, these tubes are really pulling me round by the nose :clown: sure hope it will be worth it :cool:

anyway, a few new pics
trying to 'exploit' the many possibilities of this kind of chassis
mounting mains wire, fuse holder, and trafo shield wire to chassis/ground

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7143.JPG
    IMG_7143.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7159.JPG
    IMG_7159.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 20
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
man, everything seems have gone wrong with my tube heaters

very nice trafo with CT (6,6-3,3-CT-3,3-6,6)
but whats the use when I choose a tube with no CT point (6n1p)
and even worse, having a DC heater supply with no CT either
feels plain stupid

Attachments

• IMG_7166.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
.......and then connect the 0-6,3V DC from heater supply directly between pin 4 and 5 and not ground it any further would be 'floating', and ok, yes ?
Or create a substitute "centre-tap" with a pair of resistors, say 330R each. One to each heater connection, the junction of the two resistors to ground, or at least a signal ground via a big cap fed with a suitable voltage through a resistor if the valves whose heaters are being fed by this have Vk too high for the Vkh rating of the valve otherwise.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ah, I forget that that the CT was 'ordered' for the possible need to use
elevated heater voltage, in case of doing a mu follower etc
though some claim the artificial resistor CT is better 'balanced'
but whatever
and I just now read that elevated heater actually also does have positive effect on lowering hum 'issues' even further :scratch2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.