Surround less, spider less, mid bass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After 5 years of development the speaker is finally ready.
Maybe for who is interested of what it has become here a picture of the final version.

ilumnia0016.JPG

teaser0002.JPG

Take care

No it sound like crap that's why I spend 2 more years on it and 35000 euros poorer :D

The reason is that I met a guy who beleived so much in this project (audiophile) that he helped me out with the financial part so that I didn't stop the project. He was so sure of the sound he was hearing that he must have this speaker in his house one day regardless of the price. I'm glad I found this guy 2 years ago and now the picture you see is his speaker. The man is very happy too ;-) This moment i'm working on the next 4 speakers.

Last edited:
if the guy helped you with the $$ how come your 35000 euros poorer?

any measurements to share, i am curious as to what it sounds like given it's apperance.
the horizontal driver makes me think of of a short, fat Walsh style driver...

Oké and we are..... but that is irrelevant I guess you know what I mean.
German physics was like a inspiration but sadly never got the chance to hear them. Also MBL and there are similarities in sound with those speakers.
The problem with measurements is that you can't say how it sounds by only looking at a graph made of a simple sinus. That I have learned the hard way.

The final tuning is made in a few different rooms (like most common rooms)at listening position. The graph you see is measured in a typical dining room (10m x 4,5m x 2.4m) with no treatment. I have optimised and extended the low freq. output with 2 different tuned vents. Also this is measured in stereo like you can see in the higher frequenties. Fallback from 7khz due to phase shift (left/right speaker distance to mic) but this measurement is only intended for low freq. optimalisation. The mid-higher freq. are measured mono close distance with other results. Crossover: 3 components.
I let you see the low freq. extension because this is one of the strengths of the driver.

FR responser low freq optimalisation [15859].JPG

While I'm not personally a fan of the material wastage inherent in the stacked lamination method employed in the photo, these are if nothing else quite a gorgeous piece of sculpture - clearly a lot of detail work in the machining of the wood and metal components of the enclosure.

Any photos of the complete system?

While I'm not personally a fan of the material wastage inherent in the stacked lamination method employed in the photo, these are if nothing else quite a gorgeous piece of sculpture - clearly a lot of detail work in the machining of the wood and metal components of the enclosure.

Any photos of the complete system?

Sorry, for the moment I don't have these, I will ask to make some since they are not at my place anymore. I will post the photo's when I get them.

Motor of the driver:
IMG_3200.jpg
IMG_3274.jpg

Some schematics :
Front.jpg

left.jpg

Last edited:
Seen this type.of.thing before....

There is already an existing patent for a surround less spider less transducer.

It uses DC current to suspend and position the coil by means of DC bias.

There are twin voice coils and a push pull tapped trafo to translate the AC signal.into motion in a similar fashion to ESL.

It's really fascinating but I don't think it's patentable in its own right.

Nice project though, assuming you don't mind sinking a fortune into something for personal use.

Congratulations!

No it sound like crap that's why I spend 2 more years on it and 35000 euros poorer :D

Great job Jef!
You followed your dream and now you have a lot more options ahead.

35,000 Euros to go from concept to finished product is very good, you must be efficient & careful as well as creative.

I love stacked plywood.... I used to use vertical stacks with my Overkill designs, now use front to back for my CIA studio monitors:
CIA ? New SM 15 monitors | Custom Install Audio

If you email me derek@custominstallaudio.com I have some info that I think you will find helpful.

All the very best
Derek.

It seems like a lot of effort and financial outlay has been spent on a device formally invented by Rice and Kellogg in 1925 and that inital device, although improved over last 92 years, still remains the most cost effective and the most practical of sound transducers to manufacture.

Complicating the manufacture of an established device doesn't make it more marketable but rather, less so.

Loudspeaker - Wikiwand

C.M

It's really fascinating but I don't think it's patentable in its own right.

Nice project though, assuming you don't mind sinking a fortune into something for personal use.

The patent is already in application so we have to wait whether it is approved or not. The office we work with says it will but time will tell.
For me it is not that important. This design is to complicated to make it profitable for mass production I guess. I know the existing patent but this uses a different approach and is not a problem.

If it is possible to get our money back it would be great, can we sell more all the better...

But what strikes is that the people who come and listen to the system are 100% convinced (we don't have to do anything). But over the internet is way to hard to persuade people (and this is nothing more than normal) the only thing I try to know are the looks of the system because this you can see and judge overseas.

Take care

Furthermore, the inverted cone trick has also been done for ages. See e.g. Steve Deckerts ( Decware) site plus Bloomline Audio.

Good Luck with trese ventures.

Eelco

Yes of course there are alot of them when did I say this was new?
I have tested first with a regular cone in a normal front firing setup. But I like (and this is personal) more the sound of semi-radial setups.
The only "new" thing is the combination of all those things that make to what it is and the patent is only made for the 99% lineair and adjustable suspension without interpolating signals into the "clean" audiosignal. The rest is pre-existing.... nothing more nothin less.

This story has start leading his own live. Fun to see ;)

Take care

I came across a news feed today sporting these surround less and spider less drivers: Ilumnia Vocalis monitorluidspreker gepresenteerd op XFI
20181002102109_Ilumnia_Vocalis.JPG

Good to see something like this coming to fruition which started as a fellow enthusiast following up on his dream. We've read about it on here first!

Upon further examination they (the speakers) had been in the news one year prior to that:
Lancering luidsprekermerk Ilumnia op XFI 2017

And even had a review: Review Ilumnia Magister luidsprekers

Sorry guys, it's in Dutch, but I'm sure Google translate can help here. Congrats to Jef! More on: ILUMNIA SPEAKERS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.