Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well mine amp is somewhere between hong kong and the netherlands atm, but its for a new PC amp.
only problem is that i want it small and the only transformer i have for it is 500VA, bit overkill ;)
but what kind of transformer would i need for it?
2 times 100 watt means 200VA, and loss is 8%, so 16 watts max(8% of 100 = 8 watt, 2 channels means 16 watts.
so 225VA or 250VA looks ok to me, or do i need more or less?

I've got one on the way as well, so I will be able to participate in any modding experiments...

I went with sureelectronics 24v Meanwell power supply for mine. I am hoping they will do better than my Behringer A500 driving my Usher 2-ways. The Behringer is good but not as good as tube amps if have tried in the mids and treble.

What about the output inductors though? Maybe thats why you have no bass?

the inductors are the original 220. that the number write on the inductors.
i have 4 inductors extrapolated from the Hlly ta2024, but i don't know if will be ok for the 2*100W sure electronics.
16 coils of enameled copper cable(O,6/0,8mm diameter) on a toroid ferrite 14 mm diameter.
the electric schematic of the 2*100W show the value of inductors: 10uH(L1 L2 L3 L4).
i'm not able to make myself the inductors. sorry.

heat problem

I found a nice case and I solved the "heatproblem" with an aluminium block and a 12V fan. The heatsink doesn't get warm at all now.
On the picture you can see the progress so far.........

Attachments

• 09062009123klein.jpg
    09062009123klein.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,292
I am currently using a philips 450W 32V smps. but the fan makes too much noise. I was lucky and had the case lying around. I made it very simple with a switch to select between 2 audio-channels and a potentiometer for the volume. I used a 7812 to make 12V out of the 32V for the fan.

Joep

hmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds perfect as a car amp with tiny footprint?

maybe 2 of the 2*100W to bi-amp a 2-way front stage running off the car battery?

What about the 4*100W version? or is that the noisy one?

Once I see an 'official' list of mods and a bit more feedback I'm gona get these to make a set of active home speakers, if that works out then the next step would be a battery powered portable boombox for carrying around, and then i can start thinking about ripping my car amps out.....................

Hi, I have a question for those who have used the 2*100 TK2050. sure amp board.

I wonder if anyone has used it as a sub amp. Would it be suitable? I am thinking about using just one channel to power a sealed box 12" sub passively crossed at 100Hz, or using a PLLXO:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

I understand that I should only expect 75W at 4@ from each channel, so I will just have to find a sub that is on the efficient side. say, 90db?

What do you guys think?

I've been listening to this amp for the last 24 hours and it is quite good. I purchased the Meanwell 24V supply and replaced the input caps with 2.2 Dayton 1% poly's I had on hand.

I do have to say that I received ArjenHelder's 2020 amp at the same time and I slightly prefer it. The the highs on the Sure 2050 become a little fatiguing to listen to after awhile, but the bass is excellent.

I might just end up biamping with the Sure on the bass and the 2020 amp on the highs!

I have both the Topping Mk-20 (not the 2020 PCB) and the sure board and I prefer the sure board with battery, esp with bass. The topping has upgraded power supply caps (4x2200uf) and input cap. The sure board is not modded.

I tested them on the Natalie P MTM speakers (4 Ohm impedance). Perhaps the higher power rating of the sure board helps here.

Also, I'm sure personal preference plays a large role here.

Duc

vaughn, I 'm using a TA2020 in a tri-amp to power my highs at the moment. It's very good and the low noise floor means no hiss ;)

Iv'e currently got a TA2022 powering my mids. There is a bit of a hum if I put my ears close to the speaker though, I'm contemplating getting the sure board to take over from it. How is it for midrange?

col.

HI,

I have received my 2*50W and 2*100W Sure amp units for testing. I will test each one separately.

I intend to:

1. run them using 2 sets of 2*12V battery connected in series running the 2 sets in parallel to get 24V.

2. listening to the original circuitry for a while before I start to modify them. The 3 areas which I believe would improve the sound are:

a. input capacitors, remove the 1.0uF and 0.1uF in parallel and replace them with 1*2.2uF. Sonic caps( not to expensive) I have in mind.

b. remove all the power supply caps with 2*Panasonic caps(1000uF each) which I have in hand. Add more power caps if necessary.

c. the feedback SMD resistors replaced with fixed resistors such as vishay(or similar) resistors.

d. the o/p inductors replaced with better quality inductors, the existing inductors look OK to me. any comment?

e. I cannot do anything to chip layout which is fixed.

Most likely I will do all the mods in a single sitting rather listen to each mod in succession. I will post of any interesting findings here.

Any other suggestions please post here.

In the long term(if the amp units are good enough) I will use the 2*50W to power the mid range and 2*100W for the bass unit.

Cheers.

col said:
vaughn, I 'm using a TA2020 in a tri-amp to power my highs at the moment. It's very good and the low noise floor means no hiss ;)

Iv'e currently got a TA2022 powering my mids. There is a bit of a hum if I put my ears close to the speaker though, I'm contemplating getting the sure board to take over from it. How is it for midrange?

col.

I need a little more time with it before I make any absolute statements. I just spent the evening listening to the MKIII board of the 2020 from ArjenHelder and it is quite nice sounding. A little more relaxed than the 2050 board. The 2050 with the more stout Meanwell supply has better bass, no surprise, but not drastically so. I have been using the 2050 board mounting directly on top of the 24v switching supply, which may be causing the 2050 board to be picking up noise from the switching action of the supply.
I will try it tomorrow with the supply as far from the audio circuitry as possible. I should note also that I removed the BJ 6CA's (the transient voltage suppressors) as Audio1st did, it may be that they ultimately need to go back into the circuit.

I have been listening on some Infinity RS Kappa 6 speakers that I just finished rehabbing(which have a very revealing and extended treble), but I might pull in my Usher 2 ways tomorrow and try them out.

In any case, an excellent amp for the money, especially if you can pick up a cheap power supply or have one on hand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.