Sure-Electronics.com class d amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ouroboros said:
This amp works well, but the maximum output per channel is about 60W.

Just consider. The amp has a bridged output, and the maximum pk-pk voltage swing on each half of the bridge is about 2V less than the supply voltage. So that would be 22V pk-pk on each half when running from 24V. The total pk-pk across the output is then 44V. This is approx 15.6V rms for a sine wave.

If the load is 4R, then the power is (15.6 x 15.6)/4 which is just under 61W.

It's one of those 'laws of physics' things :-(
Ahh, that explains why I'm getting more power output from my 19v lapyop supply compared to a 12v SLA batt.

I've got thier 24v PSU on the way, which should allow me to get 60W from each channel with any luck.

Has anyone compared the sound quality of this unit to the tripath chips? How do they compare? The specs look quite similar...

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sjetski71 said:
Has anyone tried out their smaller TA2024 based amps yet?

Ordered one the other day, going to power it with a 12volt 3amp regulated supply i have. I should have also picked up one of their power supplies just to have on hand. So hard to resist at these prices :cannotbe:

well, 12 volts will only give you about 15watts rms per channel, but thats ok, seeing as your powersupply will only give 36watts output anyway... lol

oh, thats all the amplifier was rated at anyway :smash:

I should have bought one of those too! :D

TWOJZ said:

well, 12 volts will only give you about 15watts rms per channel, but thats ok, seeing as your powersupply will only give 36watts output anyway... lol

oh, thats all the amplifier was rated at anyway :smash:

I should have bought one of those too! :D

Ya, i wouldn't crank it for prolonged periods of time, so i should be good to go.

Oh, in case someone didn't know, the TA2024 tripath based amp is avaliable in their ebay store: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsureelectronics

Tons of inexpensive electronics to be had :)

well, i did it. I ordered 2 of the 4ch amps. i wanted to have something that was (supposedly) 4 ohm stable and had decent power. will i need 8 channels? nope, but i like having options. and i'm very interested to see what people have done to these in terms of sound quality mods, etc. now i just need to figure out what to get to power the pair of them. any suggestions?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
SQ Kid said:
so quick question. would a single 24v 6a power supply be enough to power 2 amps? I'm thinking this should be good, but i want to know what the rest of you thought.

nowhere near enough, you'd need more like 30amps to run two 4 channel modules.

I mean, 24 volts at 6 amps, WOULD run the 8 channels, but you'd only get about 15watts rms per channel before the powersupply was at its limits.

well then, sounds like it was a good idea I asked before jumping the gun and spending money. Out of curiousity, what is everyone else here using for power supplies? Anyone have one of these in a semi-perminent home yet (case, PS, etc)? I was looking to use a single case, but i suppose thats all going to come down to what I need for space after picking a PS.

I've built an integrated amp using the 4 channel module, and so far it sounds pretty good. Bright as hell for the first 15 minutes but it seems to be calming down nicely.

I'm using a 4.5A 24V smps. The smps has live, neutral and ground connections (all connected as normal). The amp board is connected to the +24V and 0V smps outputs.

Should I tie the 0V to ground at the amp? The two aren't connected within the smps, but there is no potential difference between them.

Would the smps be happy with its 0V leg tied to ground?

sharpi31 said:
I've built an integrated amp using the 4 channel module, and so far it sounds pretty good. Bright as hell for the first 15 minutes but it seems to be calming down nicely.

Maybe I should turn mine on and burn it in. It is WAY too bright. I can't listen to it for very long without getting quite annoyed. Perhaps a 24 hour burn-in would help?

Sherman said:

Maybe I should turn mine on and burn it in. It is WAY too bright. I can't listen to it for very long without getting quite annoyed. Perhaps a 24 hour burn-in would help?

I often leave music playing on mine when I'm not in the room...

It does seem to sound better now than when I first got it...

My speakers aren't really very good tho, so you may notice more difference with better speakers.

This amp doesn't have post-filter NFB, so the output filter is running open-loop. If the filter values have been optimised for a 4R load (as seems to be the case), then on an 8R load there will be a small amount of HF boost due to the resonance of the filter. My aged ears can't hear this, but some of you youngsters may well be able to. I've not yet done an FR and distortion plot on this amp, but if I get the time I'll fire up ARTA (using the STEPS part of the program) and get an FR and distortion plot done. I'll post it here unless someone gets in first with one they've measured. It's likely that you could alter the L/C ratio of the output filters to optimise the response into 8R loads. That's easy enough to do if you got SPICE.

Ouroboros said:
This amp doesn't have post-filter NFB, so the output filter is running open-loop. If the filter values have been optimised for a 4R load (as seems to be the case), then on an 8R load there will be a small amount of HF boost due to the resonance of the filter.

... It's likely that you could alter the L/C ratio of the output filters to optimise the response into 8R loads. That's easy enough to do if you got SPICE.

I have been using it with 8 ohm speakers. I'll try to dig out some 4 ohm units and give them a try.

I've been hoping to get the time to do a FR plot using my SPL meter and speakers rather than a dummy load. I've got FR plots for other amps using the same technique and speakers so a comparison might be interesting. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

The more I listen to this amp (only a total of maybe 2 hours so far) the less impressed I am. If the bass problem could be solved I'd probably find a home for it in one of my systems as I do like the midrange and the treble is pretty smooth.

I'm going to connect it up today and do a 24 hour (or more) burn in and see if things change. I'll use a dummy load for the burn in so I don't have to hear it all day!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.