Supravox or Fertin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guillaume,
A subwoofer for the Supravox 215 EXC is not needed if it is used with a TQWT enclosure. Mine went down to 40Hz.

Last week I listened to my brother's system and he uses the 215 EXC drivers in a "big fun horn" which is flat to 20 Hz. The sound is simply amazing but the horn is about 2' wide by 5' deep by 4.5' high.:devilr: It was the most accurate bass I have ever heard.

I still recommend the 215 EXC in open baffle with several subs also in open baffle.

Jim

Subwoofer needed?

Hi Guilliaume,

Personally I feel not the need for adding a subwoofer with the Fertin 20EX model 7 anyway, and it is difficult to answer that question for you and others. The reason I bought these speakers is namely there homogenity and musical envolvement and I prefer not to distroy that qualllity by adding subs or supertweeters. Simply I was looking for one pair of full range speaker that will make music with only 2 or 3 watt. And yes for me it has enough low end (bas) amazing for a OB.
They are new and my baffle plan is not ready yet, so the only thing I can tell you I taked my amp to France and the Fertins compli musically my SET integrated!. There are maybe severall other good optons like Supravox, Phy etc., but the potential of the Fertin full range drivers and the synergy with my SET was essentially there. For the second question I can not comfirm for orchestral works but you will need more than 1 or 2 Watt. With EML45 Mesh (1W) the driver congested on peaks. I changed to the 2A3 mesh and there was no problem on classical work "amazing"
Contact Mr. JM Semblat or make an appointment, give it a try and you will enjoy a great day!

Herman

The Fertin 20ex model 7-surroundless

will do 25hz in a bass-reflex cabinet

with great dynamic ( acc. factor of 732) .

Even the small Fertin AP13 will get to 25hz and with

an acc. factor of 1332. Surroundless technology has its own

characteristics that are difficult to find in a driver with a

surround. We don't find many surroundless drivers and

it will take a bit of time before audiophiles get to know it.

Comparing is sometime not the best way to go about;

as taste in audio are very different from one person to another

and the system as a whole can make a huge difference.

Do you have your drivers or are they being built?

I'm sure that Jean-Marie could do something about

what you don't like in the design.

I was surprised by your 2w amp driving the 20ex model 7;

I was told that a 10w amp or more with an 8ohm output

impedance ( a current amp) would be require to drive them.

But here again , what you heard is what counts.

Hi Gilles,

Thanks, for your reply, I've got answer from Jean-Marie.
The SE I use is an integrated Tektron from Italy that can be used with different triodes. "2A3, 45, 50 etc". (You can also look for a test at 6moon) I was surprised to read somewhere the need of high current amps (min 10W) with those new Fertins 20EX. So i
I took the cow with the horns and went too France and come with the conclusion that only 2W give me the answer in spite off that PP. mono amps and so on. (so Alise in wonderland)
Figure's do not explain everything I gues. I went back home with two Fertins, so hopefully between a few weeks I'm ready with the construction off the OB. I thinking for ps about two batteries or in meantime Tentlabs modules.
Supravoxs makes also a very good 215 / 2000 EXC for OB Series.

Fertin 20ex

I can vouch for the Fertin ... its the best, if not one of the best single drivers I've heard .... bar none. I've had it for 2 years and love it more everyday. It does everything right ... music, the flow and the way it presents it .... less strain to your ears ... I was moving and thought about selling these jewels ... but my wife (who initially threw a fit for buying these) refused to do so .... that speaks for itself
I've heard that the new model is a big improvement over the old .... thats very hard for me to believe
Best,
VJ

Fertin

All single drivers fall short on complex music, either they cannot keep up with multiple instruments and/or the dynamic range, if any of these is vital to you, look elsewhere.

Apart from these, i would recommend the Fertins wholeheartedly, they do their job remarkably well.

VJ

Ok Thx guys.....My idea is to use the fullrange (Fertin FC or Supravox FC in this case), as an open baffle, with the support of subwoofers for the 300Hz and below.
If I use tweeter over 9000/10000 Hz. Then the FR will work between 300-10000, in this configuration it will still have the same problem with complex music?

Ok Thx guys.....My idea is to use the fullrange (Fertin FC or Supravox FC in this case), as an open baffle, with the support of subwoofers for the 300Hz and below.
If I use tweeter over 9000/10000 Hz. Then the FR will work between 300-10000, in this configuration it will still have the same problem with complex music?

Hi,

I am using a Supravox 215 EXC, running full range in a small open baffle.

I have it supported with a 15" bass in a sealed box - coming in at 150 Hz, and a 1.5" tweeter above 15 kHz. Both use 1st order filters. The whole thing is seamless with no audible crossover regions. There are no issues with any style of music.

I have not heard the Fertin, but I can recommend the Supravox.

Hi dcathro.
Which speakers you had in the past? Can you compare yours supravox system with other market speaker?

I used to use Alon Phalanx/Poseidons (replaced by the Nola Grand Reference), although I had to rebuild the crossover and replace all the wiring to get them to sound to my liking.

My supravox based speaker is much better. I built my own, because I cannot find a commercial speaker that I like and can afford.

It looks like my same situation. I have a pair of Triangle Celius ES, that I like a lot. Everytime that I go to a hifi show, there is not too many speakers better (To my ears) and there are very expensive. In one hifi show I had the chance to heard a Lowther Pm2A, very nice, but a little agressive sometimes in that setup.
My music preference is progressive jazz and the symphonies..also Tango , progressive rock....The Triangle Celius ES does very well with all kind of music. I am affraid that using a fullrange driver I will not have good performance in complex and loud music.

I used to use Alon Phalanx/Poseidons (replaced by the Nola Grand Reference), although I had to rebuild the crossover and replace all the wiring to get them to sound to my liking.

My supravox based speaker is much better. I built my own, because I cannot find a commercial speaker that I like and can afford.

I am affraid that using a fullrange driver I will not have good performance in complex and loud music.

The Supravox does not get confused on complex or loud music! It has two weaknessed: it cannot do bass below 50 Hz, an has low output above 8K.

I was going to use it as a midrange with traditional crossover points, but when I heard it running full range, it sounded so coherent and seductive, that I decided to try a different approach. The open baffle acts as an acoustic hi pass filter for the Supravox at 180 Hz, allowing the bass to blend in. The tweeter when filtered first order at 15 KHz fills in the part where the Supravox is defficient - with no real xover here, I am able to keep all the things that I like with the Supravox.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.