Supravox or Fertin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your comments help very well in my final choice. Thank you. The Fertin and Supravox cost the same for 20 cm driver. But Supravox has the 165EXC also(And cost half). Being a smaller in diameter, the 165EXC could perform better in mid/high than the 215EXC?

I haven't heard the 165, but would suspect that it would also be good. I wanted an 8" mid for the dynamics it offers, which is really important to me.

The measured frquency response on their website shows higher output for the 165.

I am affraid that using a fullrange driver I will not have good performance in complex and loud music.

Your music tastes and fears are very similar to mine. I have listened to a lot of full range drivers and all have failed in some way. Long term cohabitation with any Lowthers is completely out of the question for me. Unfortunately i don't have much experience with really top quality drivers not counting a field coil Fertin under slightly dubiuos circumstances. Open baffle is another concept i am not quite certain about.

High sensitivity tweeters are becoming better and cheaper rapidly.
The Ciare PM250 pro midrange (usable up to 5kHz without LPF) and the new Gradient GRT195 Mk2 magnetostat with just a single capacitor as crossover could an affordable 100 dB combination that is hard to beat for a "boutique" fullrange driver.

Hi, I have to note that this thread is "Fertin or Supravox". Thanks

High sensitivity tweeters are becoming better and cheaper rapidly.
The Ciare PM250 pro midrange (usable up to 5kHz without LPF) and the new Gradient GRT195 Mk2 magnetostat with just a single capacitor as crossover could an affordable 100 dB combination that is hard to beat for a "boutique" fullrange driver.

Hi, I have to note that this thread is "Fertin or Supravox". Thanks

The point is that even the most expensive big paper cones don't reach the quality of a real tweeter in the top octaves. For myself I have found the right compromise between coherency and transparency with 5 kHz crossover (normal sensitivity) and have gone away from true fullrange. In the last months there have been some tests in magazines of high sensitivity tweeters from
SB Acoustic (dome)
Sica (dome)
Red Audio (magnetostat)
Gradient (magnetostat)
Harwood Acoustics (AMT)
so this way is becoming an option for high sensitivity people also.
If not for you, then sorry for threadjacking, but I wanted to write this somewhere in the fullrange forum some day, because it is probably not so well-known.

Regards,
Oliver

Fertin

Hi....How the Fertin does the complex music like simphonys or progressive jazz? Thx in advance, I am thinking to get a pair of 20EX Fertin.

Hi Abelma,

I use the Fertin 20exc M7 Fieldcoils in OB without any problem on complex music.
They're outstanding fast and dynamic, but don't expect heavy levels.
These speakers bring everyhing what I need in musical terms without any stress and in an open and naturral way.
They express the music like no other system I had before.
But they need a superb source and you will need having many time to listen too.
I have severall systeem but those I listen for 90% of the time. They're superb on vocals, piano, instruments, classic, jazz everything I pass on these speakers!
Please forget the need for super tweeters and subwoofers.
1 or 2Watt on a good SE is all what you need to bring that music at life.

Herman

Hello Herman,

Very good information from you. I've sent a PM to you. Did you had it?
When you said not need for a subwoofer, means, that you can feel the lower notes dynamic....a "punch"?
Regards

Hi Abelma,

I use the Fertin 20exc M7 Fieldcoils in OB without any problem on complex music.
They're outstanding fast and dynamic, but don't expect heavy levels.
These speakers bring everyhing what I need in musical terms without any stress and in an open and naturral way.
They express the music like no other system I had before.
But they need a superb source and you will need having many time to listen too.
I have severall systeem but those I listen for 90% of the time. They're superb on vocals, piano, instruments, classic, jazz everything I pass on these speakers!
Please forget the need for super tweeters and subwoofers.
1 or 2Watt on a good SE is all what you need to bring that music at life.

Herman

in the contest we must add amp-room

on the paper the fertin is very good for 2w tube amp , fs 42hz with 6.25v is 97db and qts 0.8 ,very good but BUT xmax is only 3mm, the linear is lower !
the supra have fs 50hz but linear xmax is 5mm as my 215s bic ie rocks very well ... but with only 5v the decibel is 95 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.