• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

giulio, let's be clear about definitions: yes the Amanero does output true DSD, but the digital audio signal that is being fed to it from the computer is DSD-over-PCM.

When we refer to "native" we mean coming straight out of the computer. When native DSD is available, a DoP-to-DSD conversion device (such as the Amanero) becomes unnecessary.

At this stage (at January 2015) LMS cannot output native DSD, as confirmed by lintweaker in post 393.
Slight refinement..
squeezelite currently only does DoP output for DSD files from a recent LMS. I need to check if LMS does send over the straight .DSF or DFF formatted file or already does DSD->DoP encoding.

giulio: you have to disconnect signal from LRCK pin on BBB and connect it to another data pin on BBB to play DSD without format switch.

With wiring changed you can update "serconfig" to contain two MMs.

Also the "--I-" configuration is for data on pin 42. I assume you are not counting pins correctly, you have to recheck it.

For example:
use data pins on P9_41 to DATA on DAC and P9_42 to LRCK on DAC and set the "-MM-" configuration.

With this only DSD will be playing, I2S will not because required signal LRCK on BBB is not connected.

giulio: you have to disconnect signal from LRCK pin on BBB and connect it to another data pin on BBB to play DSD without format switch.
miero thanks. I think this coincides with my understanding. I cannot keep the wiring unchanged on both the bbb and Buffalo and play both pcm and dsd. This is unlike the Amanero.

Also the "--I-" configuration is for data on pin 42. I assume you are not counting pins correctly, you have to recheck it.
It was a typo. I have indeed DATA on pin 42.

With wiring changed you can update "serconfig" to contain two MMs.

For example:
use data pins on P9_41 to DATA on DAC and P9_42 to LRCK on DAC and set the "-MM-" configuration.

With this only DSD will be playing, I2S will not because required signal LRCK on BBB is not connected.

This may just show the extent of my ignorance but would be the following work?

DDI-

and

bridging p9_30 to P9_29 and P9_41 to P9_42 with the same connection to the Buffalo as now (i.e. P9_30 to BCLK, P9_29 to LRCK and P9_42 to D2)?

In other words is LRCK on the BBB live when playing DSD?

Very creative approach, but unfortunately it will not work. The LRCK is "live" during DSD play.

But it might be possible to reprogram driver to deactivate LRCK during DSD play, but you would need to solve also signal summing in the HW. You cannot just connect two output pins together.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
great to hear of some examples of the BBB / Squeezelite / I2S driver working well :)
I've tried a few different music players, but I always come back to Squeezelite as it gives support for Spotify and BBC iPlayer as well as all the regular playback, headless control, managing of large local music drives and such.
The best implementation of Squeezelite for BBB at the moment seems to be the Squeeze on Arch project which is being developed and supported mainly by Adrian Smith (Triode) who wrote the Squeezelite app as well as the spotify and bbciplayer plugins. It's a well tested path and although there's no default image for it on the BBB, it's easy enough to install with minimal linux skills. You get an admin web interface, SOX if you want it and LMS too. Although SOA is still in development phase, it's a real nice solution.

Which brings me onto my question.... is there a way I can install the Botic driver onto my nicely set up Arch linux with LMS and Squeezelite? Or is it only available via the preconfigured image at the moment?

Or is it much better if I start again using the Botic Distro as ChrisMmm has suggested?

thanks all (especially to Miero),
James

Boards are in

We will be testing extensively in the next couple weeks and hopefully releasing everything soon.

embedded_beta.jpg

Hi Miero,

I did more tests with my cape and the power off/ shut down things. To monitor BBB shut down and turn off the BAT line after shutdown is complete I use now a simple 8 pin micro controller. Therefore P9-pin 14 signal CPWR_EN is not only used to enable ADM7151 3V3 supply, signal is also monitored by the controller.
CPWR_EN turns on to 3V3 about 6s after power up, turns shortly off to 0V on starting shut down (just a pulse, ADM turns 3V3 off) and then it comes back to 3V3 as long shut down is not complete.
My question, is this right, just a small 0V pulse on starting shut down or is it a problem on my test board? Works fine for me but I'd like to be sure before a finish my board layout. And what is the plan with this signal for the future?

Thanks in advance.