• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

I'm a bit confused how this Squeezelite thing works, does it involve a Squeezebox (can it?) or are you just using your computer to feed the music to the BBB using the Squeezebox Server software with Squeezelite loaded on the BBB to accept the SQ server incoming data?

Squeezelite is SW running on a headless processor (eg BBB) that receives data streams from LMS (Logitech Media Server) and outputs a digital audio stream to the nominated alsa device (DAC). In my setup I have LMS running on a small box running Vortexbox (Linux based) which effectively manages the music database and any external music feeds. It is LMS that you interact with via wifi and app on a tablet etc. to choose music, build playlists etc., Squeezelie is simply the player. I like this architecture as it means the processing on the BBB is minimal.

Squeezelite is quite mature and has some additional features like upsampling via SOX.

Hope I have that largely right - I am happy to stand corrected by Triode - author of Squeezelite.

@lin****: Thanks, my BBB with own cape and botic driver runs now with squeezelite too, very fine! For non-linux experts (like me), there is a good install description here:
Configuring the Beaglebone Black to run Squeezelite - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

I used that guide some time back - works well. With the Botic distro as a base the install is easier and there is no need for the script to get it to start automatically. This is my cheat-sheet.

1. Install Debian image with Miero I2S drivers I2S drivers
http://bbb.ieero.com/

2. Upload Squeezelite, move to correct binary lib while renaming it, make it executable
wget http://squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv6hf or
wget http://ralph_irving.users.sourceforge.net/pico/squeezelite-1.6.4-armv6hf-static for Ralphy upsampling version
mv squeezelite-armv6hf /usr/bin/squeezelite OR mv squeezelite-1.6.4-armv6hf-static /usr/bin/squeezelite
cd /usr/bin
chmod u+x squeezelite
3. If wifi needed update wifi and network settings
http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/beaglebone-black-network-and-wifi/

4. Create a startup scrip to execute during boot-up
nano etc/init.d/startup.sh
Copy in sample code below, -u and -r if oversampling required
Save then make it executable:
chmod +x /etc/init.d/startup.sh
Make it so executed at bootup:
update-rc.d startup.sh defaults 100 - note may need to sort out some issues if it fails, see: Perl warning Setting locale failed in Debian - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki
5. Optionally force CPU to run at 1ghz:
nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils
paste the following in, save and reboot
GOVERNOR="performance"

SAMPLE CODE FOR STARTUP-SH:

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: Startup
# Required-Start: $local_fs $network
# Required-Stop: $local_fs
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Startup
# Description: Startup daemon to start Squeezelite
### END INIT INFO
squeezelite -o hw:CARD=BOTICAudio -n Botic96 -a 16384:1024:: -u mIX -r 96000

giulio: you need two "M" in serconfig to enable DSD playback using Botic

However without automatic channel remapping (LRCK+DATA1 vs DATA1+DATA2) you have to change wiring each time you switch the format.

miero, thanks but -MM- (was that what you meant?) did not work. In fact I lost even Pcm.

fiy my buffalo is connected like this Buffalo III PCM+DSD connection - Buffalo DAC - Twisted Pear Audio Support

using the amanero I can play both pcm and dsd without changing wiring. Is this not possible with botic?

I do run lms 7.9 and get native dsd on my squeezelite when using the Amanero
giulio, let's be clear about definitions: yes the Amanero does output true DSD, but the digital audio signal that is being fed to it from the computer is DSD-over-PCM.

When we refer to "native" we mean coming straight out of the computer. When native DSD is available, a DoP-to-DSD conversion device (such as the Amanero) becomes unnecessary.

At this stage (at January 2015) LMS cannot output native DSD, as confirmed by lintweaker in post 393.