• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

HI! installed bbb-botic-v4-1gb.img on SDcard. Then installed linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb . Got Linux botic 4.8.13-botic7-rc3. But I can not install on eMMC.
I bear command dd if = /dev/mmcblk0 of =/dev/mmcblk1. After this command, the board does not boot.
How to move normally botic7-rc3_1 in eMMC?
First, make an SD card of debian stretch from the URL below:
Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org
From the section of "microSD/Standalone: (testing) (All BeagleBone Variants)", you can find the image file.

After this, flash eMMC by booting from this card (by commenting out the last line of /boot/uEnv.txt). After confirmation of debian stretch booting from eMMC, then install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3
by: dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb. That's all.

Oh, btw, don't forget to add the line below to /boot/uEnv.txt
dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb

Regards,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
First, make an SD card of debian stretch from the URL below:
Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org
From the section of "microSD/Standalone: (testing) (All BeagleBone Variants)", you can find the image file.

After this, flash eMMC by booting from this card (by commenting out the last line of /boot/uEnv.txt). After confirmation of debian stretch booting from eMMC, then install 4.8.13-botic7-rc3
by: dpkg -i linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb. That's all.

Oh, btw, don't forget to add the line below to /boot/uEnv.txt
dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb

Regards,

Hi,
If I currently have/use ---botic5 on my BBB, can I load botic7-rc via microSD card?
The microSD would have https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/tes...-08-4gb.img.xz
on it?

Hi,
If I currently have/use ---botic5 on my BBB, can I load botic7-rc via microSD card?
The microSD would have https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/tes...-08-4gb.img.xz
on it?
Hi,

If you are currently running a botic5 system, you can update it to this botic7-rc3 system by simply installing the .deb file indicated by miero in the #2037 post.

The image file quoted above is only a debian testing (stretch) image and does not contain any botic system. The file can be also used as an intermediary for eMMC boot of a debian system on which you can install a botic kernel provided as a .deb file like in #2037 post.

Regards,

OK, so now I got some errors in the mpd.log, but they are not specific to mpd, rather that the host is down. Is there any way I can find out if this is due to something internal in mpd, or if there is something outside, i.e. a switch or something?

root@botic:/var/log/mpd# tail mpd.log
Jan 23 04:55 : errno: Failed to read: Host is down
Jan 23 04:55 : player: played "music/Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)/Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick (Live in Paris, 1969).aiff"
Jan 23 04:55 : errno: Failed to open "/mnt/music/Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)/Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker (Live in Paris, 1969).aiff": Host is down .... etc

Uh! How would I get the .deb file up onto the BBB so I can run dpkg -i ? :eek:
Very much not a Linux pro.

I'm guessing, copy the .deb to a microSD, and use putty to access the BBB.
Don't know how to copy from the microSD to a directory on the BBB.

Any help appreciated :)

If you can access and log-in to the BBB by putty, you can use its USB port to mount a USB stick or drive (FAT-formatted) in which the .deb file should be present and can release the dpkg -i command for installation. BTW, IIRC, the USB support by botic5 might have been broken. Anyway, you might want to try it.

For putty connection, this page will be of help. Tera term is my favorite in Windows environment.

OTOH, though I'm not a user of Logitech Media Server, it seems that you have a private network and your BBB is connected to the server via ethernet. Correct? If so, you can directly log-in to the BBB from termina software, either Win or Mac, and can get the .deb file by wget command and install it. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
OTOH, though I'm not a user of Logitech Media Server, it seems that you have a private network and your BBB is connected to the server via ethernet. Correct? If so, you can directly log-in to the BBB from termina software, either Win or Mac, and can get the .deb file by wget command and install it. Apologies if I'm wrong.
Regards,

Got a windows tty program to copy the .deb file over to the BBB.
Ran dpkg -i on the BBB, see results below, then rebooted the BBB.

My worst fears came true, :( only one led blinking on the BBB, normal
is two leds alternately blinking.
IP scanner now doesn't show it.

...the package install results below...

root@botichost:~#
root@botichost:/# date
Wed Jan 11 22:08:32 EST 2017
root@botichost:/# ls -la etc/dpkg
total 13260
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 11 22:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 73 root root 4096 Jan 11 18:43 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 446 Jun 12 2013 dpkg.cfg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 15 2015 dpkg.cfg.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13557072 Jan 11 22:11 linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 15 2015 origins
root@botichost:/# dpkg -i /etc/dpkg/linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3.
(Reading database ... 23263 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (from .../linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-botic7-rc3
zz-uenv_txt: Updating /boot/uEnv.txt [uname_r=4.8.13-botic7-rc3]
root@botichost:/#

Got a windows tty program to copy the .deb file over to the BBB.
Ran dpkg -i on the BBB, see results below, then rebooted the BBB.

My worst fears came true, :( only one led blinking on the BBB, normal
is two leds alternately blinking.
IP scanner now doesn't show it.

...the package install results below...

root@botichost:~#
root@botichost:/# date
Wed Jan 11 22:08:32 EST 2017
root@botichost:/# ls -la etc/dpkg
total 13260
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 11 22:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 73 root root 4096 Jan 11 18:43 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 446 Jun 12 2013 dpkg.cfg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 15 2015 dpkg.cfg.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13557072 Jan 11 22:11 linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 15 2015 origins
root@botichost:/# dpkg -i /etc/dpkg/linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3.
(Reading database ... 23263 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (from .../linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3_1_armhf.deb) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.8.13-botic7-rc3 (1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.13-botic7-rc3
zz-uenv_txt: Updating /boot/uEnv.txt [uname_r=4.8.13-botic7-rc3]
root@botichost:/#

Well, nothing wrong with the installer message above. Did you check the line of "dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb" is included in /boot/uEnv.txt?

Regards,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, nothing wrong with the installer message above. Did you check the line of "dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb" is included in /boot/uEnv.txt?

Regards,

Did not check that, what is it?
Don't know what to do now that it doesn't
boot up.
Perhaps if I boot from a microSSD card with
a good Botic I probably can get in!?

Oh! I see that in post 2110, damn! did not remember to do it!!

Last edited:

My comment above might have been a bit misleading. The lack of "dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb" in /boot/uEnv.txt will not provide the proper setting of GPIOs for botic driver but the system itself (botic7) can be booted without this line.

So the failure in booting up may be due to other causes. Ichiban san, you might want to try this update to botic7 again after preparing a new working botic5 SD card.

Rgds,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My comment above might have been a bit misleading. The lack of "dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb" in /boot/uEnv.txt will not provide the proper setting of GPIOs for botic driver but the system itself (botic7) can be booted without this line.

So the failure in booting up may be due to other causes. Ichiban san, you might want to try this update to botic7 again after preparing a new working botic5 SD card.

Rgds,

Ugh!:(

So this is where I'm at now.
I had a microSSD with botic v5 on it.

..booted up with the microSSD inserted
..did a 'apt-get update'
..then 'apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5'
..then 'umount /boot/uboot/'
..then 'root@botic:~# /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/generic-eMMC-flasher-12mb.sh'

Removed microSSD card and rebooted and get this
====================================
login as: root
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

Boticized BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-02-15

default username:password is [root:botic] and [debian:botic]

root@192.168.1.2's password:
Last login: Thu Jan 12 20:32:39 2017 from msipc.home
root@botic:~# uname -a
Linux botic 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@botic:~#

However, Logitech Media Server no longer finds/recognizes a player.
An IP scanner sees the BBB as 192.168.1.2

Ugh!:(

So this is where I'm at now.
I had a microSSD with botic v5 on it.

..booted up with the microSSD inserted
..did a 'apt-get update'
..then 'apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5'
..then 'umount /boot/uboot/'
..then 'root@botic:~# /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/generic-eMMC-flasher-12mb.sh'

Removed microSSD card and rebooted and get this
login as: root
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

Boticized BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-02-15

default username:password is [root:botic] and [debian:botic]

root@192.168.1.2's password:
Last login: Thu Jan 12 20:32:39 2017 from msipc.home
root@botic:~# uname -a
Linux botic 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
root@botic:~#

However, Logitech Media Server no longer finds/recognizes a player.
An IP scanner sees the BBB as 192.168.1.2

Well, apart from the IP connection to the Media Server, your system appears well back to the previous state. If you would like to try again the new botic7, please read carefully the instruction of old botic7 installation by miero. Probably you appears to have missed sync command at the final stage of installation on the last time.

Regards,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, apart from the IP connection to the Media Server, your system appears well back to the previous state. If you would like to try again the new botic7, please read carefully the instruction of old botic7 installation by miero. Probably you appears to have missed sync command at the final stage of installation on the last time.

Regards,

I'm not having any luck finding "the instruction of old botic 7 installation by miero" .
By old botic 7, does that mean pre-volumio?