• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Miero and gang... So I haven't made any progress with getting my networking going. I created a new Volumio Botic image and right off the bat tried to use "am335x-sancloud-bbe.dtb" and upon start up it'd get hung up and boot into the on-board flash image, not the SD card image. So it looks like there needs to be work done to create compatibility with my BBE. For now I'll hang tight.

I've had the problem with every image I have tried, except for the one provided by you. So I stick to that until you say otherwise ... :) Sound is excellent as well, and that is just with the BBB without external clocks. It would be nice to try the external clocks as well, but they never seem to come back in stock. Oh, well ... :) Yes, I use an USB DAC. Right now a NAD 1050, while my DDDAC is being put into a proper cabinet ... :)

Miero: So this is where I am at. I re-flashed image. Modified uEnv.txt to have BBE dtb instead of default and let Volumio image complete itself. It boots up fine. I am able to get Ethernet connectivity and can connect to the internet. At this point the Botic stuff doesn't load up correctly. If I open up Volumio from a browser, none of the Botic stuff is recognized. So at this point it looks like a new dtb needs to be created that merges the BBE and BBB Botic dtbs.

Thanks!

Hi Miero,

I had setup BBB+Twisted Pear Hermes + Cronus and installed botic7 at my BBB. Direct connect from Cronus to my DAC via the B3 header at Cronus by i2s. I can play PCM successfully. However, DSD cannot be play. I measured there is no signal at the DCK, D1 and D2 when playing DSD. Only MCK has signal when playing DSD. Following is my config:

snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=default
snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk = 3
snd_soc_botic.dsd_format_switch = 1
snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MMMM
snd_soc_botic.dai_format=16385
clk_44k1 and clk_48k are the default value
snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.mute_pin = -1
Any suggestion for this problem?

Thanks!

Hi Miero,

I use the BBB and i2s.
Everything works fine on the old assembly bbb-botic-v3-2gb.img
I want to run Volumio 2.0. I made a similar change in /boot/uEnv.txt
But I have no sound on the DAC output.
Perhaps I have an error in uEnv.txt
I enclose the uEnv.txt from the old working configuration, and from the Volumio 2.0
Look, please, what is my fault.

Thanks!

Attachments

• uEnv_botic-v3-2gb.txt
    918 bytes · Views: 74
  • uEnv_Volumio-2.0.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 56
please check that those parameters are correctly set in the driver

in not running Volumio 2.0:
/boot$ for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo $i=$(cat $i); done
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio=64
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_44k1=22579200
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_48k=24576000
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format=16385
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dsd_format_switch=1
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk=7
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig=compat
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig=MMMM

in normal running bbb-botic-v3-2gb:
/$ for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo $i=$(cat $i); done
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dsd_format_switch=3
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk=7
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/mcasp_format=16385
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig=compat
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig=--MM

I try to play *.flack 44,1 x 16bit

I tried to change serconfig=MMMM on serconfig=--MM
All the same, there is no sound.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I try to run the BBB with the latest volumio img directly connected to my soekris dam1021 dac. The volumio img run fine and i don't have problem to run it or listen some music, but still their is a problem.

I try to use the dac to supply the clock to the BBB. The dac have a masterclock out in pin 24 and a frequency selector in pin 26. I try to connect this last one to pin 24 of the BBB "uart1_txd (external masterclock switch)", but it seems it doesn't work. I think the dac only supply 48mhz clock and don't switch to 44,1, 48mhz playback is ok but 44,1 is horrible.

This remind me something i red in hifiduino saying this fsel pin in the soekris don't work after the 0.99 firmware, and that the dac only supply 48mhz clock.

I ask this here, maybe someone have a solution, or maybe i should also ask to the soekris dac topic ?

miero, I carefully compared the sound bbb-botic-v3-2gb-w and volumio-2.041-2016-12-11-bbb. The difference I was shocked. Sound to bbb-botic-v3-2gb-w much better. For me it is difficult to describe the sound in the English language. But bbb-botic-v3-2gb-w want to hear and hear, make louder, have fun. The volumio-2.041-2016-12-11-bbb, compared with bbb-botic-v3-2gb-w want to turn off. I beg you to excuse me, I speak bad English, I do not want to offend you. I'm trying to tell you about a technical problem.
I have two different images on different SD-cards. This makes it relatively quickly change the software. I did this a few times before you write. I listen through i2s. I have a galvanic isolation, a decent DAC, a tube amp and a speakers Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MK II.

Mull3t: yes, I'm working on a updated version

kencmh & Alex013: please check that those parameters are correctly set in the driver:

Hi Miero,

Here's the result:

volumio@volumio:~$ for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo $i=$(cat $i); done
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk=3
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig=default
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig=MD--
volumio@volumio:~$

Hi Miero,

Here's the result:

volumio@volumio:~$ for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo $i=$(cat $i); done
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk=3
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig=default
/sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig=MD--
volumio@volumio:~$

Hi Miero,

I further measured the voltage at Hermes while playing PCM files, I can measure 1.x voltage at DCK, D1, D2 and MCK.

However, when I play DSD files, no voltage can be measured at DCK, D1 and D2. Can only measure 1.x voltagae at MCK.

Hope this information can help

Alex013: Oh, no idea why so far - but I'm not able to hear/compare that :( I will prepare a "bbb-botic-v3" like image but with a botic7 kernel. Because there are many differences between those images, I'd like to be sure that the kernel is OK. It would be great if you could compare then bbb-botic-v3 and bbb-botic-v3-mod-v7.