Super Regulator

LEDs can be used as indicators that a current is flowing.
Red would be for an error situation and green for a good to go situation.

Leds can be used as a voltage reference. they are not particularly good at this because the voltage varies with temperature and with current. But if you regulate the current and manage to maintain a fairly constant Ta, then you can obtain a fairly low noise and stable voltage reference. Colour for these tends to be at the Long Wavelength end, i.e. IR, RED and orange.

Blue definitely NOT, white definitely NOT.
Yellow and green possibly OK, but worth experimenting to check for suitability.
Small adjustments to the reference voltage can be made by changing the current.
Big adjustments can be made by adding a signal diode (1n4148 or 914).

So, should I order 3mm green LEDs or will other colors work?
The LED's are for creating a voltage reference so the light is just a side effect. Blue, white and violett LED's will increase the minimum voltage drop of the regulator so if the input voltage is low then it's better to stick to red, yellow and green LED's.

If you change to blue LED, then you'll have to adjust R1 and R8 to a higher value in order to keep the base current the same.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Blue and white leds are much noisier than red and green. ( around 10 times higher)
Red have the lowest noise with green having just a little higher voltage and noise according to Christer's testing a decade in DiyAudio ago. Noise varies with current as does the LEDS voltage drop. This varies by brand a little as well.
Best to use a constant source to supply them if you need a stable reference. Because the super regulator powers the reference from it's regulated output which reduces the need for a regulated current source to feed it.

Walt Jung in private correspondence with me indicated he had tried leds in the super regulator when I suggested trying them in the thread earlier.
" I have tried the multiple LED trick, and it does work, very well. Op amp noise will be the final limit however, as noted in the GLED431 blog cmnts. "

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the info.

From what I gather from your replies, it sounds like a red LED is probably the best choice here.

The schematic below shows a green LED with a 2V forward voltage.
Does the forward voltage have to be exactly 2V?
I see red LED's forward voltage can vary from 1.8-2.2V.

Attachments

• Jung Regulator Schematic.jpg
    Jung Regulator Schematic.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 553
Thanks guys for all the info.

From what I gather from your replies, it sounds like a red LED is probably the best choice here.

The schematic below shows a green LED with a 2V forward voltage.
Does the forward voltage have to be exactly 2V?
I see red LED's forward voltage can vary from 1.8-2.2V.
red LEDs vary from ~1.6Vf to ~1.9Vf
IR are quite a bit lower.
All the other colours are higher.
Blue and white are very high Vf (=high watts = high brightness)

Hello all,

I'm building a new control/preamp unit with a RIAA and a DAC onboard and needs no less than 7 single regulators and I really wanted to use the excellent Jung/Didden superreg.

As the enclosure is given for the unit (read: small/medium size) 7 superegs in the original size wont fit. So I decided to make a SMD version.

The symmetrical placement of the components wasn't a goal of the design itself and just became natural during the layout process.
A few leaded resistors remains in the design to keep the noise as low as possible but I've properly screwed the performance with my PCB layout. :D
Board size is: 35*49.3 mm

Now I need to do a sanity check of my layout and make the negative PCB version.

Attachments

• top.png
    top.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 486
  • bottom.png
    bottom.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 486
  • all.png
    all.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Kim have you considered using a SilentSwitcher for compactness and totally mains free operation?

What voltages do you need?

Jan

I indeed considered the SilentSwitcher. Nice toy! :D
I need 5V, 9V, 12V and 15-18V.

On paper the supereg still looks as the reg with lowest noise and lowest impedance? The supereg also came out best of breed soundwise in linear audio... I'm in doubt about the SS.

I know it's all academic but my CDO(!) disorder always seems to get the last word in discussions with myself...

Can the SilentSwitcher compete soundwise with the supereg?