Super common gate valve I/V converter for TDA1543

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Regal,

As far as I understand, the TDA1541 needs 0.000V between its analog ground and its output pins. Here are quick things I would think of :

1° You set the analog ground to the converter's ground and create a -3V power supply to connect the cathod to.
2° You set the TDA's analog ground to +3V

What do you think ?

greg

I think the TDA 1541 should have digital ground and analog tied together it isn't a galvanic isolation device, also you would have to set the TDA analog supply to +17V, too out there for me.

Hi

@Tazzz,

Isn't your schematic a bit like the I/V converter used in Eric Janueda's system High End Audio - Jundac One

Well, I am quite sure it is a very efficient circuit, but our game was to make the signal to cross only valves :eek: The super common gate schematic can also be built with JFET with better results by far. That's a very simple toy with great results, we had no pretention saying this is the best I/V in the world (which surely is not).

@Regal, special for you:
SCG-CIV_opamp.png
SCG-CIV_opamp_bode.png

The opamp ensures the cathod is tied to 0V (-2µV in the simulation).... but it means -5V PSU + +-15V for the opamp, complicated PSU unit. Still, signal does only go trough tubes :)

greg

Hi again Chanmix

Nice impedance curve but the version without AOP is better
for phase's curve

Best IV converter surrely not but FREE design for sure

and simple , no exotic or esoteric caps , no expansive valve,
no Xformers (expansive or not) except for power supply
we don't spend much money to get a lot of fun :D

Hi again Chanmix

Nice impedance curve but the version without AOP is better
for phase's curve

Mmmh isn't the phase important only at output ?

Best IV converter surrely not but FREE design for sure

and simple , no exotic or esoteric caps , no expansive valve,
no Xformers (expansive or not) except for power supply
we don't spend much money to get a lot of fun :D

There is a power button for pleasure ;)

greg

Hi,

Here is a discover we made maybe some of you know already. Our I/V valve converter works pretty well with the TDA1543 and the few who tried it were quite amazed with the sound this cheap DAC could output.

BUT ... Yves, after he built his version, noticed a gain loss at 20kHz ... -3dB :( After he tried everything to understand what was going on he found that this was caused by the DAC itself.

In order to produce a continuous signal, DACs use a blocker mechanism that keep the output current level between 2 digital data. These blockers also work like a filter with a bandwith shaped in a sin(x)/x form with a minimum at the sampling frequency and -3dB at half this frequency. NOS DACs have a sampling frequency of 44,1kHz so -3dB is roughly 20kHz.

Of course there are ways to ovoid this problem, the first solution is to ... oversample and raise the -3dB limit way over 20kHz. You can also use filters to reshape the signal after or before the DAC. A last solution is to keep the things as is just because sound is good ... that's what I chose :cool:

I thought maybe this could help others.

greg

Attachments

• IVPBen-SK2.2-TDA1541-schema.jpg
    IVPBen-SK2.2-TDA1541-schema.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 440
TDA1541 offset

Hi Regal, I haven't read the entire thread on this topic, but I recall Nakamichi did some distorsion measurements on the TDA1541 which gave a minima at an offset of 55mV on the output of the TDA / input of the I/V converter. Has anyone else commented on this ?

I believe they are the same topology really, the one I posted I think was the first version, then the 6F12P was replaced with the Mofset.

Chanmix mentioned the all tube 6F12P version as being so similiar to the hybrid as to not be audibly different, but I'm getting a much higher input impedance on the sim than he reports.

I like the 6F12P version because it seems easier to integrate with the TDA1541, which wants to see 0VDC on its output and it draws 2ma of current (offset).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.