Super baltic birch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A good start would be to review John Ks test of 10 mini FRs

http://www.zaphaudio.com/minitest/

He anoints the following 3 as "the winners"

HiVi B3S ($9.36 from Madisound)
John has already designed a box for these http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Aurasound NS3-193-8A ($19.50 from Madisound)
Tim used this in an ML-TL -- too big a box for our ap i'd think, but of interest anyway. http://www.timn8er.com/Aurasound NS3.htm

W3-871 ($16 USD from CSS)

Anyone suggest any other candidates?

The W3-881 with Mark M mods would be interesting, but pricey when cost of phase plugs (& mods) is added in.

Aura NS3-194-8E, mentioned on John's page, is on sale at Madisound for $10.50 each.
Fostex FE83 ($24.75 Madisound)
Fostex FE87 ($27.55 Madisound)

Certainly based on a combination of John's report & the modest price the HiVi would be a leading candidate. Pretty too.

audio-speaker18-systemfront1.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, i read the John K articles...

With its filter parts the HiVi comes close to the Aurasound... i like that it can be used without a filter. It hacs a smoother CSD which i figure is a good thing. The Auro 194 is even smoother, 5 dB more efficient but has a way higher Fs...

I'm leaning towards the Aurasound 193 now.... unless that 8k resonance in the HiVi can be killed mechanically....

dave

I don't think that a little ml-tl, like Tim's, is out of range as far as the material is concerned, 12"x4"x5.5" would make the biggest superPly panel 12"x5.5", a thicker, BB baffle and back would stiffen it to rock-solid status and add aesthetic appeal. But, a sealed alignment seems most appropriate for this application.

I'm leaning towards the Aurasound 193 now.... unless that 8k resonance in the HiVi can be killed mechanically....

The Aurasound looks most appealing to me as well...the less correction of any type, the better.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Illusus said:
I don't think that a little ml-tl, like Tim's, is out of range as far as the material is concerned, 12"x4"x5.5" would make the biggest superPly panel 12"x5.5", a thicker, BB baffle and back would stiffen it to rock-solid status and add aesthetic appeal. But, a sealed alignment seems most appropriate for this application.

I do like the idea of an ML-TL ... and if it gets crossed to a sub the port can be stuffed to make it aperiodic, but the goal of small needs consideration....

I ran some sealed senerios using John K's T/S numbers. As a reference Tim's box has an intrenal volume of 4.3 litres. There is not a whole lot of difference between sealed at 0.8 Q, and 1.0 -- if we choose a 2 litre box wuth golden ratio the internal size becomes approx 12.6 x 20.4 x 7.8 cm -- not enuff room on the narrow face to mount the 8.9 cm driver (10.4 cm if mounted diagonally) -- of course golden ratio is not mandatory -- larger than 2 litres is also possible

dave

Attachments

• aura-ns3-sealed.gif
    aura-ns3-sealed.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 205
IMO, loud enough. I can't give you a SPL number but I've played them in my 400 ft^2 room, stepped into an adjoining room and could still hear them fine. One note is that they may be the least efficient drivers I've worked with yet but they sure sound nice. I've been leaving them at the office but I think I'll take them home this weekend and get some solid measurements for you.

not enuff room on the narrow face to mount the 8.9 cm driver

A little room would be nice for lining the sides to tame reflections(back into cone)...at such a short distance the effect is minimal, but I have noticed a touch of 'nasality' in like situations.

of course golden ratio is not mandatory

Plenty of acoustic ratios to work with...the aesthetic ones can be taken care of with a little construction gymnastics...the thicker baffle/back may balance it out anyway.

Thanks for the input Tim. The modelled low end extension is pretty impressive for that little trooper. Any impression of their mid-high range performance?

( OT- nice mouse, I got so used to the extra buttons that whenever i'm using a standard one I end up squeezing the life out of it.
I have to get a couple of those T-amps...it seems like it's going to take a long time before I finish my big class-A project...btw, my heatsinks are here. Celebration day!!)

Thanks for the input Tim. The modelled low end extension is pretty impressive for that little trooper. Any impression of their mid-high range performance?

You're welcome. They are impressive although I'm hoping a certain local engineer comes up with a competing 3" driver (hint, hint).

I listen to these speakers nearly all day long while I'm working and I've not experienced any listening fatigue. Granted, I am sitting less than 1 meter from them but still I find they reproduce very well.

One button..crazy Mac...next thing you know they'll make a good OS...What?! Already? Years ago you say?? Enough. I'm plugging my ears! lalalalalalala

It looks like I can get my hands on ~100 sheets of this stuff. It all comes out of factory fresh Mercedes panel vans, never stepped on...If I lived near you Dave you could use it to freshen up the compund. Makes a damn nice bench top!(I did my whole shop in it already). But, this is the last of it...as if it's not enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.