Suggest me a preamp for my F4!

Thanks for all your contributions, including zee dog.

(rotfl)

I'm now considering two options for my audio upgrade; one would be "add a Pumpkin to the F4", the other one would be "add an F5 to the Audible Illusions (and dismiss the F4)".

That's because I read so many good things on the F5. It's a bit of an off topic here, but would you guys think that I could just take the PCBs away from my F4, put some F5 PCBs in there, hook them up to the F4 PSU, and try?

It would save me the costs of a new PSU and heatsinks to try the F5.

Giacomo

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for all your contributions, including zee dog.

(rotfl)

I'm now considering two options for my audio upgrade; one would be "add a Pumpkin to the F4", the other one would be "add an F5 to the Audible Illusions (and dismiss the F4)".

That's because I read so many good things on the F5. It's a bit of an off topic here, but would you guys think that I could just take the PCBs away from my F4, put some F5 PCBs in there, hook them up to the F4 PSU, and try?

It would save me the costs of a new PSU and heatsinks to try the F5.

Giacomo

dismissing fact that , in case of choosing :Pumpkin: route , you'll probably buy those pcbs from Mighty ZM :rofl: ....... I can see just one viable and possible solution - you'll end up with both combinations ...... :clown:

you can easily put F5 in F4 box - PSU and heatsinks are the same , as you are already aware off .

about F5 popularity (F4 is well respected but not so popular ) - fact is that F5 itself is easier , less expensive ( forgetting bloody fact that we are talking and making amps in range of 2k++ Euro , and being cheap comparing to competition) to make than F4 ...... where you more need PCB ( more parts - not so easy for PtP as F5 ) , matched outputs ...... etc and main factor - you need dedicated preamp with enough cojones to drive bloody thing .....

there is another important distinction - it's easy to double F4 and - with appropriate preamp - go to balanced amplification ( and have 100W/per side ) ; there are somewhere some schematics floating - how to dismiss F4's input buffer and feed it directly from enough potent preamp .

maybe you're capable to start and finish better preamp than AI , maybe not ...

so - to cut a long story short - both variants are of same value ; differences between them are ..... tiny .

but don't forget one thing - DIY-ing things isn't always matter of final result ;
I made almost all known Papamps ....... but I don't have single one in working condition

:clown:

( did I help you in your dilemma ...... or I just confused you even more ;) )

Last edited:
[...]

( did I help you in your dilemma ...... or I just confused you even more ;) )

Dear Choky,

You helped quite a lot, also confirming that I can just swap the PCBs, keeping my chassis, PSU and everything "as is" and taste how the F5 goes. Very little expense, just the PCBs and their components. That's necessary, because I don't have much money to mess with in these days. :eek:

Other than that, I'm still interested in your kits for the :Pumpkin: preamp, because, if I don't like the F5 as much as the F4, I can still pull it out, fix the F4 back in its place, and start building the :Pumpkin:

It makes sense, what do you think? ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I already told you - fun is in the building things and learning ;

important is that you always have something good enough to sing you a song ..... and that you build things not from scratching feeling and Holly Grail searching syndrome , but from pure pleasure .

so - go and build F5 - even PtP is good enough for starters ;

then choose later .....

later - sell everything commercial of gadgets you have ..... and use that money for making your own ( do not sell FM tuner and CD player if you have them - they're hassle to make from scratch :devilr: )

btw. it's pretty easy for you to make maps - you have Hi-Fi 2000 contenitori per l'elettronica, case modding HTPC, Galaxy, rack, DIYaudio, computer cases, front panel express, knobs,milled Handles, milled fronts, hi-end, ; so buying decent case locally is just matter of money ;
even if that just is "just" ..... big part of hardware hassle is easy for you

edit: whoa !

these wakoo Italians have so wakoo long visible URL !!
anyway - Forza Vale !

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another fluffy forum member and yours truly, matched the Pumpkin with an Aleph a couple of weeks ago.

It sure was a fine match, so I would expect the F5 to be happy with it as well.

Magura :)

Ok, sounds like heaven. Now for a board and reading of the Pumkin building tales. The F-5 is heaven sent, but I'm sure that's no news here. Help us Zen Mod, from where is this board, Please please!:D

Russellc

The times they're a-changin'

How could I disagree with such beautiful words about fun, passion and things like those.

But the truth is that I don't always have all the time I'd like, I don't always have all the money I'd like, I don't always find a practical way to get things done the way I'd like.

So, it comes down to makin' good plans on what's the best shot for a particular moment, and for the current pockets, and of course: for the current system.

Building both the F5 and the :Pumpkin: would be fun and useful (it would be nice to cross all the possible amp-preamp mixes and listen to what it comes out), but also a bit expensive, so I'd rather proceed one step at the time (see if the F5 suits my needs better than the F4, and if not, build the :Pumpkin: and keep the F4). It might not be the most poetic way to proceed, but it's my most realistic one.

Besides, since the PCBs, fun has been way sacrificed. I remember, ten years ago, when I was in high school and I built a 2W SET with PCL86s; point to point, "hope I'm doin' right" and everything: it was damn fun, and it was utmost exciting when I fired it up for the first time, hoping it didn't blow up in my face.

Now, you find the PCBs, and it mostly comes down to collecting all the components, throw them into the boards, and solder solder solder... 'til it's done. Then you get a couple wires, you hook the PCBs on the PSU, et voilà.

What's left for fun and skills is in the chassis/heatsink (supposing that you don't get a pre-built chassis, otherwise you cut that part out of the cake too), a bit on the PSU.

When I built that dear old single-ended triode amp, I had fun in every single decision about the wiring, the layout, getting things manageable; now, the assembly is mostly an annoyance which I hope to get past as soon as possible, looking forward to the result, the always exciting "fire it up" moment.

PCBs have changed so many things.

Giacomo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dear Choky,

You helped quite a lot, also confirming that I can just swap the PCBs, keeping my chassis, PSU and everything "as is" and taste how the F5 goes. Very little expense, just the PCBs and their components. That's necessary, because I don't have much money to mess with in these days. :eek:

Other than that, I'm still interested in your kits for the :Pumpkin: preamp, because, if I don't like the F5 as much as the F4, I can still pull it out, fix the F4 back in its place, and start building the :Pumpkin:

It makes sense, what do you think? ;)

I want Pumpkin to drive F-5, you may to once f-5 is built.;)

Russellc