Suggest me a preamp for my F4!

OK, I'm convinced. My SET is unsuitable as a signal conditioner/preamp. It turns the system into a lullaby machine (Camry) no matter what I do.

For the record, I used the F4 with a "real" tube preamp (Supratek Chenin) and with just the B1: very different results!* Each of them exciting in their own way. Sticking with the car analogy the B1 was a BMW (well balanced, highly refined) and the Chenin a 69 BOSS 302 Mustang (a little over-done :)

And the funny thing slightly obscured in all of this is the conditioning aspect. If I could I'd have a car collection so as to drive the car I want to as the mood suits. The illuminating thought I have gained is that not only must you pick and amp to suit a speaker (though any amp will drive my speakers) but you must also pick a mode of "conditioning" - You cannot have a stable of cars - you have to pick one!

The only thing I have not tried between the CD and the amp is a TVC (yes I tried a LDR) which does have its following but I'm guessing (before spending the money) that a TVC is like a more refined version of the B1, maybe a Euro-supercar I have never driven.

So I'm "shopping". Given that the F4 is serious overkill for driving La scala's I'm shopping for a signal "conditioner" more than a gain device and so I dismiss myself and apologize for entering the frey of what "preamp" to go with the F4. 6L6 and I have said elsewhere that the BA3 FE as preamp is an outstading pairing with the F4 (as quite a few others might agree). I'm still trying to "pick a car" and that choice needs more consideration.

*I have driven the La scalas with F4 and the BA3 FE as preamp but I cannot quite put that one in a category yet. It's a little more "exciting" than the B1

Cheers!

Attachments

• testing set up.jpg
    testing set up.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 359
Thanks for the update.

The other preamp I had in mind is Ale Moglia’s 01A preamp using Coleman filament regulators, gyrator plate load and SiC diode cathode bias. There’s a low and high gain version of this preamp; the high gain looks best for use with the F4, otherwise the low gain was my original intention.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have not been playing F4 for some time, but i remember BA3FA combo was too sharp sounding for me. F4 and Foreplay was great, since i got rid of stepped ladder attenuator volume on the input, which was malfunctioning, plenty of gain now.
I tried Wayne's preamp, just like goldmund's line stage, both clean, but dry with F4.
Never tried ACP+, but I will always recommend it, as it's in my main system driving Vfet, and its sublime.

Last edited:
I have tried Supratek Chenin (in my opinion, sounds best with the F4 if the regulator tube is KT-66 or 6F6G), Type 26 transformer coupled and Type 01a gyrator loaded (both with Coleman regulators, shunt regulators, and choke loaded DC PSU's), ACP+, BA 2018 Linestage, and BA-3 FE preamp.

All are good. Tube preamps needs trial and error to find tube combos for best results. For example, I prefer 01A's (short pins) than 201/301. DHT gives very nice vocal presentation, clear, seductive but does not slouch on details. IMO, no 6SN7 tube will touch a DHT tube.
BA2018 at gain about 4 sounds best to me with an M2X than my F4. ACP+ is great, but not as dynamic as BA-3 FE. I prefer BA 2018 on materials with lots of piano and strings, ACP+ on wind instruments. Except for the difference in gain, very hard to say which one is better.

Now the BA-3 FE. It's Ramen time!!

IMG_0239.jpeg

At +-25 volts rails, it sings like an angel. At +-30 volts, it sings like an angel with an attitude! The proverbial question " Will it drive an F4?". The answer to me is "Si! Muy Bien!!".

I invited a couple of friends for a listen. See their reaction afterwards (focus on their facial expressions).... all are in agreement!

IMG_0187.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    946.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 164
Very interesting. Thank you for the exhaustive write-up! I’ll look over the ACP+ and the BA-3 FE.

I usually have my hands full with loudspeaker work and in the end wouldn’t be surprised if it was really down to how well the preamp sonically pairs with the loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Parts for two separate preamps for the F4 have arrived. The green pcb is an Impasse preamp that will use JAN 5692 and ECC99 tubes. The red is the BA-3 and in the bag are a matched quad of Toshiba K2013/J313 transistors (thanks Prakrit!).

Attachments

• 386D8FDF-6E19-41C8-88D6-FE87B2D15A49.jpg
    386D8FDF-6E19-41C8-88D6-FE87B2D15A49.jpg
    984.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 402DECE6-BB40-4203-A23B-2916B8682740.jpg
    402DECE6-BB40-4203-A23B-2916B8682740.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 111