Subwoofers for Beach Radio...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 12" Rockford fosgate sub in a 35 hz (i think, I forget what a tuned it to) 2 cu ft box. I will use that with the JL 500 and do the test outdoors like you suggested and try to determine the highest HP frequency that is suitable for the sub. Just wish there wasn't so much snow on the grounc right now :(

thats a possible option. i like the idea of the 1/2" ply and 50lb total weight. but, do you think two 10" drivers in 1.5-2 cu ft. (each) would be louder than the single, larger, ss15?
A pair of 10" would have only about 98 square inches of cone area, a 15" has about 133 square inches- it will be louder, not even considering the TH advantage.
The SS15 is a very good size/weight/LF/SPL compromise. You could make small top speakers that would fit in the horn mouth for transport, reducing the overall size.

Also, think again in terms of battery power, a generator on the beach is kind of uncool,(hot parts for kids to touch etc.) and the quiet ones are quite expensive.
A speaker that puts out 3 dB more level per watt will only use half the power for the same level, meaning you could use half the battery weight, or get twice the time out of the same battery bank.
The SS 15 is more than 6 dB more efficient at LF (which uses by far the most power in most pop music) than the speakers you are considering, 1/4 the battery could be used.

Music is about 1/8th power peak to average, a 50 watt solar panel (and a small battery bank) would keep up to 300-400 watt peaks in full sun, with the SS15 you could easily violate noise ordinances at that power level.

FYI:

Tested Cokewithlime 10" driver suggestion:

b:)

Attachments

• Eminence-Delta-Lite-II-2510Neo.JPG
    Eminence-Delta-Lite-II-2510Neo.JPG
    699.2 KB · Views: 146
Okay I think I'll go with the ss15 then. :)
And the 400watt peak would be for something like a bass line, correct? The music is mostly bass lines...

I've done some 12v stuff, so I thought I'd share a bit of my experience in this dept.

If you are going generator -- Crown xti amps do not like inverters... I know they are digital and it appears to be the best solution, especially if you are going generator -- but even modified sine wave inverters (and inverter/generators) can make the xti's go into protect. For some reason bash digital amps don't have this issue. The bash can be modified with a couple resistors to put the high pass right where it's needed with a TH. The dayton pa250 plate amp, even though it is a class A/B amp with transformer supply also is inverter friendly -- with no appreciable hum or issues. I know that doesn't sound like a very good match, but the tops really don't pull much power when you have a top that is about 102db/watt. And the ability to have a mic input... well it gets used... If you run remote from a dual battery diesel pickup, you can run for a very long time... (in my experience)

If generator gets ruled out, battery only -- you are thinking tripath, TI, sure 2x100 or 4x100, hypex or any of the other digital full range amps... (haven't read through the entire thread... apology) I haven't found a good crossover/dsp that is dirt cheap to go with it. the minidsp is the closest I've found. The sure 2x100 amp has a very low idle current, but works best with 4ohm loads...

If I were tasked with this, I'd probably (because it's me... and for no other reason) do a minidsp.com, a sure 2x100 amp, a pair of hs12's and a pair of ss15's, and power it with a pair of small 12v batteries in series for 24v and a pair of 15watt solar cells to extend run time.

regardless of how you go -- sounds like fun. enjoy.

Last edited:
The SS15 is a very good size/weight/LF/SPL compromise.

It's still a pretty sizable speaker, considering the use being considered here.

How about a 6th order BP box? The Dayton PA310 in a 3.5 cu.ft. (net) box can do 100dB/2.83V/1M with a passband from 50 Hz to 120 Hz, at least according to HornResp. I haven't built the actual box yet (just haven't had the time), but intend to do so.

Did you look at Saturnus's Boominator thread? He really put a ton of blood sweat and good engineering into a portable festival/beach system that will use a fraction of the power you will need to get the same spl level and weigh a ton less also.
I would not get excited about hauling a generator to the beach for tunes, even the quietest ones are a nuisance IMO.

I've done some 12v stuff, so I thought I'd share a bit of my experience in this dept.

If you are going generator -- Crown xti amps do not like inverters... I know they are digital and it appears to be the best solution, especially if you are going generator -- but even modified sine wave inverters (and inverter/generators) can make the xti's go into protect. For some reason bash digital amps don't have this issue. The bash can be modified with a couple resistors to put the high pass right where it's needed with a TH. The dayton pa250 plate amp, even though it is a class A/B amp with transformer supply also is inverter friendly -- with no appreciable hum or issues. I know that doesn't sound like a very good match, but the tops really don't pull much power when you have a top that is about 102db/watt. And the ability to have a mic input... well it gets used... If you run remote from a dual battery diesel pickup, you can run for a very long time... (in my experience)

If generator gets ruled out, battery only -- you are thinking tripath, TI, sure 2x100 or 4x100, hypex or any of the other digital full range amps... (haven't read through the entire thread... apology) I haven't found a good crossover/dsp that is dirt cheap to go with it. the minidsp is the closest I've found. The sure 2x100 amp has a very low idle current, but works best with 4ohm loads...

If I were tasked with this, I'd probably (because it's me... and for no other reason) do a minidsp.com, a sure 2x100 amp, a pair of hs12's and a pair of ss15's, and power it with a pair of small 12v batteries in series for 24v and a pair of 15watt solar cells to extend run time.

regardless of how you go -- sounds like fun. enjoy.

you mention 12v then mention the crown xti amps. i'm using 12v JL audio amps to power this, off of a battery in conjunction with a home made 12v generator (alternator connected to a small gas motor)
the generator and small battery will be replacing the deka 100 and 50 lb batteries previously used.

so i have the amps already and power is taken care of.

i honestly think i'm leaning towards the single 15" driver ($180) in your ss15 enclosure. that sounds like it would give me the bass i'm looking for with a reasonable size cabinet, and only 500rms input. 50lbs is nothing, me and one of my friends can carry that no problem with other stuff piled on top of the cabinet! also, price is right around $200 or so for the sub setup.

Bjorno-

I'm not understanding what you simmed. I see the single 10" horn with the driver suggested, then the ss15. But what is the other 110db sim? (2) 10" horns??

The SS15(Eminence KappaLite 3015 LF) plot is only for comparison with the Eminence DeltaLite II 2510 driver, both at Eg=2.83 (V) or 1W/8 Ohm nominal load.
The 110 dB simulation is the latter driver at Eg= 14,14 (V), 1 Hz safe excursion(no HP filter is needed) i.e. at 25 W/8Ohm.
Max speaker driver related RMS current drawn from the 12 (V) batteries would be = ~1.77 A, if including Power Amplifier losses, in total, typically less than ~2 (A) RMS drained.

b :)

Ohh okay I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Can you post an overlay with the ss15 in the same situation? (14.14v) or are those sims already done in the singlesheet challenge thread?

Of course:
No other simulations done but the ones made for this thread. The DeltaLite speaker is at first designed for portability in mind + good inherent SQ requiring no parametric notch filters to tame peaks other than a standard LR4 HPF to reach blameless Hi-Fi quality within the in-band and XO pass-band.

b:)

Attachments

• DeltaLite-versus-KappaLite_Beach-Radio.JPG
    DeltaLite-versus-KappaLite_Beach-Radio.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.