Subwoofers: are they really necessary for home audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sometimes I wonder if folks who continue to make the silly assertion that music doesn't contain anything below 30 cycles have just never heard speakers with a proper speaker response...or are just unable to implement such a thing and as a result argue against it to feel better about the system they do have.

At least we're getting to the point where these assertions are at least accompanied by the equally silly assertion "well that's not music anyway because I don't like that genre"

Insulting an entire range of music by attempting to remove its classification of being music at all isn't going to help make any meaningful point, its more like running out of bullets and then deciding to just throw the gun at someone.

totally agree, telling that bellow 30Hz there is no music to be listen is a complete nonsense. Is the same as telling that above 15Khz there is also no music at all. Even broadcast transmits at a 20hz to 15Khz.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
there are sounds there, sure.... but music ?

but instead, maybe the topic should be; what is BSC, or should have been

could it simply be wrong to say BSC is just somewhere between 100hz and 300hz only
maybe its much more complicated to apply BSC to a speaker
or more correctly.... to a room

personally, I think its to 90% a matter of phase issues, and mainly just that
using force might be a simple approach, and maybe its even very effective
but maybe there could be other alternatives

I don't know what baffle step compensation has to do with the topic at hand.

People typically design speakers applying baffle step compensation (or whatever kind of frequency eq for that matter, like dipole eq) such that you get a more or less anechoic linear response in the bass - that is, you make the loudspeaker "linear".

Which is a rather futile exercise in an acoustically small room, where you should try to optimize the speaker+room at low freq, not just the speaker.

BSC is completely misused. It is a means to compensate for a speaker measured in an "infinite" baffle to one actually in its enclosure. Measure the speakers response in its enclosure in a free field and no BSC is required. BSC is also a very rough estimate of the actual effect of the real enclosure and any good designer should not be using it. I have never and will never use it.

And yes BSC is completely off-topic, but then the topic is getting so esoteric that maybe its time for a change.

"Music exists below 30 Hz and above 15 kHz" - what a useless way of looking at the situation. Its existence in no way indicates its importance to the overall response. Above 10 kHz is only a miniscule aspect of total perception and I suspect that below 30 Hz is likewise. If the rest of your system is so good that these extremely small factors are significant then you must have quite a system (which I seriously doubt that many do - from my experience the vast majority of people have very mediocre systems, but obsess about insignificant details.)

Last edited:
yes BSC is completely off-topic, but then the topic is getting so esoteric that maybe its time for a change.
I'm going to take you up on that, because I'm curious what you're saying here:
BSC is completely misused. It is a means to compensate for a speaker measured in an "infinite" baffle to one actually in its enclosure. Measure the speakers response in its enclosure in a free field and no BSC is required. BSC is also a very rough estimate of the actual effect of the real enclosure and any good designer should not be using it. I have never and will never use it.
So, if you measure a clear baffle step transition in free field at, let's say 400Hz, and then you incorporate the inverse of that into your crossover design, is that bad design? And, should that not be referred to as "BSC"?

And yes BSC is completely off-topic, but then the topic is getting so esoteric that maybe its time for a change.

"Music exists below 30 Hz and above 15 kHz" - what a useless way of looking at the situation. Its existence in no way indicates its importance to the overall response. Above 10 kHz is only a miniscule aspect of total perception and I suspect that below 30 Hz is likewise. If the rest of your system is so good that these extremely small factors are significant then you must have quite a system (which I seriously doubt that many do - from my experience the vast majority of people have very mediocre systems, but obsess about insignificant details.)

Importance, I'd say is in the eye of the beholder. The topic at hand is a lot like popping into a car forum and asking "all wheel drive....is it really nessesary?" You get the same types of replies.

Other questions that border on troll bait:

"High def...is it really necessary?"
"Bifocals...are they really necessary?"
"Salt and pepper...are they really necessary?"

So, if you measure a clear baffle step transition in free field at, let's say 400Hz, and then you incorporate the inverse of that into your crossover design, is that bad design? And, should that not be referred to as "BSC"?

You should design the crossover to the data that you measure in the free field, no compensation or "inverse" is required or desired. Yes, doing so would be a bad design because it would not create a "flat" direct field response in the listening room.

How do you know what is "baffle step transition" or not? So you are just giving a name to something that you measure and design for. Why not call it "natural in-situ free field compensation" (NIFFC)?

And yes I do find a subtle passband falloff in my LP filters, but I do not have a pressing need to give it a causal explanation let alone a name.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
everyone who knows just a little bit about speaker design knows what BSC is, or at least what it means
and its the first thing we teach to newbies who come here with high hopes to build their dream speaker

it really is one of the major 'discouveries' that have lead to modern speaker design
question is if we have understood it fully, or if there are still things to learn about it
personally I hope there is more to learn

btw, if you think its got nothing to do with the subject/topic, oh boy...its got everything to do with it, or else nothing here makes any sense at all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.