Sub woofer questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matttcattt,

I have relatively limited experience with large drivers, or any really ;) but I have tried the Eminence Beta 15 myself.

Please do not buy it, you will be gravely dissapointed by its performance. Having said that, I did only try it in a 90 litre sealed box, and had no real idea of what I was doing - it was my 1st DIY hi-fi project :)

In this sized box the bass was sloppy - too high Q I believe, but more to the point the magnet seems far too small for a 15" driver. In other words it's never going to make tight, controlled bass, and certainly not deep - for one thing it won't have enough excursion.

Furthermore, making a much larger box than this isn't as much fun as it first sounds, unless you aren't actually a lazy bugger like me :) To reuse my 90 litre box and 'try again' I whacked in an Adire Audio Tempest, imported from the States. The bass was stunningly better! - much deeper, punchier, tighter, cleaner, and could play LOUD. And that is a far less sensitive driver...

You may not want more advice from me, but anyway... I would advise against getting anything like this sent over the pond - Adire is American, and my driver took a loooong time to reach me, and when it did it was faulty, so I then had to wait ages and ages for a replacement.

Finally, if you want to stick with Maplins, why not investigate those metal-coned car subwoofer drivers? They have large magnets, and are made to work in small enclosures, and are quite keenly priced.

kelticwizard said:
I think if you are going to build a sealed box, one is as good as the other for your purposes. If you are going to go ported, the Delta has that big, big advantage of not having to worry about "suck-out" near resonance.

One tiny warning. The bass you get from the Delta in a 13 Ft³ might not be the cleanest bass in the world. Let me explain.

Back in 1971, Neville Thiele published a monumental paper that analyzed the ported box. Before that, most engineers used Sealed boxes because they did not know what kind of response they were going to get. If you see the term "Thiele-Small" parameters, that's the guy.

He took over a dozen examples of ported boxes with different Qts ratings for the drivers, etc, and called them "alignments". He gave a list of acceptable "alignments", and pointed out the ones which gave too much distortion. Drivers with a Qts over 0.38 give increasing amounts of distortion if the box volume is over Vas, which this is.

The "alignment" for this ported box is the last "alignment" Thiele put on his list. After this, the distortion gets too high. In other words, this setup will give some distortion in the bass, but that distortion will be acceptably low according to the fellow who is considered the pioneer in the ported box field.

Although I would not have chosen a speaker with this high a Qts to make a ported box, we must do with what we financially can afford at the moment. This speaker is available to you at a good price, and the "alignment" is on Thiele's list of acceptable "alignments".

You can get a smoother bass sound from a sealed box, but in my opinion, the cutoffs are too high. A 6½ inch speaker can go down to 50 Hz. If all you want is 50 Hz, why buy a 15 inch speaker?

When you bought this 15 incher, knowing it was a PA speaker such as a band would use and not a hi fi speaker, I assumed that you meant to say, "I want a good, tough bottom on my music that comes through real loud, and I am not worried about pleasing super high end standards. I want it built according to good principles, though."

I believe you will get that using the Delta 15LF in a 13 Ft³ box.

Of course, building a 13 Ft³ is quite an undertaking. I hope you have access to a good workshop, or are willing to have a lumber yard cut the pieces for you.

yes, i am not an audiophile :D im not that concerent about sound quality that much.

i am at school at the moment (its actually the holidays, but ill be back in september) and i have access to the workshops. i can buy the MDF through school too, at low prices.

depending on the price, i am going to try both ported and sealed, and i may try bigger and smaller boxes. for volume, i could make a smaller box, and put this inside the actual speaker cabnet to lower the volume, instead of making two boxes...

SimontY said:
Hi Matttcattt,

I have relatively limited experience with large drivers, or any really ;) but I have tried the Eminence Beta 15 myself.

Please do not buy it, you will be gravely dissapointed by its performance. Having said that, I did only try it in a 90 litre sealed box, and had no real idea of what I was doing - it was my 1st DIY hi-fi project :)

In this sized box the bass was sloppy - too high Q I believe, but more to the point the magnet seems far too small for a 15" driver. In other words it's never going to make tight, controlled bass, and certainly not deep - for one thing it won't have enough excursion.

Furthermore, making a much larger box than this isn't as much fun as it first sounds, unless you aren't actually a lazy bugger like me :) To reuse my 90 litre box and 'try again' I whacked in an Adire Audio Tempest, imported from the States. The bass was stunningly better! - much deeper, punchier, tighter, cleaner, and could play LOUD. And that is a far less sensitive driver...

You may not want more advice from me, but anyway... I would advise against getting anything like this sent over the pond - Adire is American, and my driver took a loooong time to reach me, and when it did it was faulty, so I then had to wait ages and ages for a replacement.

Finally, if you want to stick with Maplins, why not investigate those metal-coned car subwoofer drivers? They have large magnets, and are made to work in small enclosures, and are quite keenly priced.

i would rather use the Eminence delta than a car driver. thank you for the advice anyway.

SimontY said:
oops, accidentally sent that before I'd finsihed :rolleyes:

I was going to add, if you pop by Sheffield, I'll give you my old Eminence Beta 15, I think it still works, though it's slightly battered from the move back from my student house...

-Simon

cool, i may be passing through sheffield on my way to flamingo land theme park in august. i doubt ill get a chance to stop though... :bawling:

if i cant collect it, and i sent you the money (about £7.50) would you post it to me?

thanks for the offer, either way.

Matttcattt, I may not be around then anyway.

Sure I will post it, I was thinking of selling it at one point, but it's quite tattered, and I would get next to nothing for it. It's just lying in a box in the attic at the moment, I will take it down sometime in the next few days, and test it. I will make sure it works before organising any postage details.

I think it's great if someone can use such a thing, and actually wants it! Much better than it just sitting around doing nothing.

And to be fair to it, with music like rap, if you listen to crap like that ;) it can add some weight to 'thin' speakers.

-Simon

here is a pic of the beta15 in the baffle of my current sub (taken a year or so ago):

Attachments

• checkfit.jpg
    checkfit.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 332
kelticwizard said:
Matttcattt:

Before you go off and buy that Delta 15LF, hang on a day or two. There is just one more possibility I think you should be aware of. :)

which is...?

SimontY said:
Matttcattt, I may not be around then anyway.

Sure I will post it, I was thinking of selling it at one point, but it's quite tattered, and I would get next to nothing for it. It's just lying in a box in the attic at the moment, I will take it down sometime in the next few days, and test it. I will make sure it works before organising any postage details.

I think it's great if someone can use such a thing, and actually wants it! Much better than it just sitting around doing nothing.

And to be fair to it, with music like rap, if you listen to crap like that ;) it can add some weight to 'thin' speakers.

-Simon

here is a pic of the beta15 in the baffle of my current sub (taken a year or so ago):

cool. im surprised you are so eager to get rid of it. i will find a way to send you the money (probably by check). thanks :D

Here is an intersting idea for you...It's well known and documented...

First you need a driver that can handle about 100W RMS more than you plan to drive it (You have). Second, you need an amp with alot of headroom (don't run it at full pelt then!), Finally, you need a custom made filter.

This filter (normally just a couple of opamps) is basically the inverse frequency response of your sub. The idea is that when your driver starts naturally rolling off (say at 35Hz) then your filter provides extra gain, boosting the power. The effect is a sub that will easily reach and extra 10-15Hz lower and a smoother response.

Hope you like the idea...Quick easy and cheap!

Gaz

He's basically describing a Linkwitz Transform circuit. Only other problem is you need a high excursion driver or else you'll bottom it out pretty easily with low freq info.

My advice would be to just hang on and save some more money to buy an appropriate driver. Look for close outs and slightly used to save money, but get a decent driver to start with.

Pete

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
kelticwizard said:
Matttcattt:

Before you go off and buy that Delta 15LF, hang on a day or two. There is just one more possibility I think you should be aware of. :)

That possibility never materialized. BK Electronics was going to offer a clone of the Shiva, which is the 12" version of the Tempest that SimontY mentioned. If anything, the Shiva is is even better known and respected than the Tempest. BK Electronics was going to offer it for £65. I am not trying to push different drivers on you, but I thought you should know about it.

I Emailed BK Electronics, who said that they decided not to offer the Shiva clone for £65, since it would interfere with it's Eminence Lab 12, ( a driver with similar specs to the Shiva), for £127.

So forget that possible option. Get the Delta 15LF.

PS: I should mention that the Delta 15LF has a one way mechanical excursion of one inch. It will not be a clean sound as the mechanical excursion is neared, but you mentioned that you are not feeling fussy as long as the bass is there.

Rarkov said:
Here is an intersting idea for you...It's well known and documented...

First you need a driver that can handle about 100W RMS more than you plan to drive it (You have). Second, you need an amp with alot of headroom (don't run it at full pelt then!), Finally, you need a custom made filter.

This filter (normally just a couple of opamps) is basically the inverse frequency response of your sub. The idea is that when your driver starts naturally rolling off (say at 35Hz) then your filter provides extra gain, boosting the power. The effect is a sub that will easily reach and extra 10-15Hz lower and a smoother response.

Hope you like the idea...Quick easy and cheap!

Gaz

do you have a link or a circuit?

kelticwizard said:

That possibility never materialized. BK Electronics was going to offer a clone of the Shiva, which is the 12" version of the Tempest that SimontY mentioned. If anything, the Shiva is is even better known and respected than the Tempest. BK Electronics was going to offer it for £65. I am not trying to push different drivers on you, but I thought you should know about it.

I Emailed BK Electronics, who said that they decided not to offer the Shiva clone for £65, since it would interfere with it's Eminence Lab 12, ( a driver with similar specs to the Shiva), for £127.

So forget that possible option. Get the Delta 15LF.

PS: I should mention that the Delta 15LF has a one way mechanical excursion of one inch. It will not be a clean sound as the mechanical excursion is neared, but you mentioned that you are not feeling fussy as long as the bass is there.

ok, thanks for the advice etc. so far :D

Rarkov said:
Hi,
There is an example of designing such a sub in one of the chapters for a piece of software called BoxCAD. BoxCAD is the box modelling software in a design suite called SoundEasy.

The link to the chapter is here. Even though you probably don't have SoundEasy - you should be able to follow the example.

Hope this helps...

Gaz

where can i find SoundEasy? can i download it? i will read that PDF, but cannot see that circuit diagrams :(.

Hi,
I'm afraid it is dongle protected - so you have to bite the bullet and buy it. It's actually the cheapest and most comprehensive package out there - just a VERY steep learning curve.

You can find suppliers at their website: http://www.interdomain.net.au/~bodzio

There is a diagram in one of their screen shots (Figure 5.3). It includes all the necessary equations in the article. :bulb:

Out of interst - if you use the bracing - where would you put the sub?! :scratch:

Gaz

SimontY said:
Yeh, looks excellent.

The more the better, with 25mm and that size box it won't be perfectly inert, but with cross bracing like that it should be pretty good.

-Simon

ok. have you had a chance to check the driver?

Rarkov said:
Hi,
I'm afraid it is dongle protected - so you have to bite the bullet and buy it. It's actually the cheapest and most comprehensive package out there - just a VERY steep learning curve.

You can find suppliers at their website: http://www.interdomain.net.au/~bodzio

There is a diagram in one of their screen shots (Figure 5.3). It includes all the necessary equations in the article. :bulb:

Out of interst - if you use the bracing - where would you put the sub?! :scratch:

Gaz

arg. ill just make do with the PDF.

i would have to cut the bracing on one of the sides, it was just a quick drawing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.