Sub for Full range horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ray Collins said:
Dave,
How does the SQ/performance of the push-push sub compare to a servo controlled sub like the Rythmik?

Ray

Never heard a servo sub... but they are attempting different goals. I have little doubt that a push-push servo-sub would be better than a single driver one... besides the basic benefits of push-push i suspect that the amount of correction required by the servo would decrease cleaning that aspect up as well.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ray Collins said:
So a push-push servo sub and the point of diminishing returns begin to clash?!

I wouldn't say that... as with any feedback system, the right way to do it is get as good a piece of kit as possible before looping the feedback since the less feedback/correction you actually have to use the better -- you get a system that has greater stability and fewer artifacts.

dave

I have tried push pull with my previous subs - AE speakers AV12. I put drivers on opposite sides of the box, one with magnet facing out and polarity reversed. What I noticed:

1. Less cabinet vibration compared to just one driver
2. Slightly tighter sound

Push pull gives a subtle improvement and back to back allows a box that isn't as thick and heavy.

Then I got Rythmik Direct Servo. Comparing just one to my previous sub was a big improvement, much bigger than what you get from merely using back to back and/or push pull. If you want the best of both then go with Rythmik dual kit, which has two 12" drivers and you can then go push pull as well. I suggest a prototype so you can decide if you think the improvement is worth having the magnet pointing out in one sub.

If you really want the best that you can possibly get, then this is what I'd do. Get the Rythmik dual kit and horn load it! I would be doing that myself, except that I found out the horn I had in mind is just too big and will kill the room. :smash:

Thats a hard question to answer Paul.:D

My friends system is dipole - Martin logan ESL's, All driven by Krell stuff. It's a wonderful sounding system. I'd have to hear the sub in my system to do a fair comparison. I however feel no need to get rid of my labs. And of course if you want to watch a film at reference...

Obviously my system lacks the very low stuff now(It's only flat to 20hz atm) But I'm working on a soution for that bit. Space gets to be a problem with horns and living room sized listening rooms:bawling:

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.