Sub for Full range horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should have also asked how much space you have. Driver cost depends on the app. I use 2 labhorns, the driver cost to you would be about $500 as a rough guess. They are huge though.

A 'decent' sealed system would probably cost more but take up less space. (would also lack the output of the horns, but have more bass extension)

I've always fancied making a sub with the peerless xls series of drivers. They model well in tiny cabinets and that means you can multiple them up in small spaces. 4 xls 12's per side, push push should be pretty interesting.

Rob.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ray Collins said:
I am limited to a 14" wide and 24" tall front on the cabinets; the depth is 30" or less. This allows them to serve as sofa end tables. I don't think that the 12" drivers will conform to this dimension restriction or will it

You should be able to -- just -- make a 12 fit into a 14" wide cabinet (i assume you need to put the driver on a 14" face?) I am hot on the new 12" from CSS. It would be easy enuff to rejig the aspect ratio of the sealed sub to meet your dimensional requirements -- i think you'd even have room to do a push-push per side -- with sufficient power 4x12" should move enuff air to make your smallish room bulge if needed -- 4 even fit into your budget.

SubDuction Data

16" cube plans

dave

disclosure... i will be selling these -- a 2nd woofer to add to the Extremis in my limited line-up

Attachments

• sd12-subduction.jpg
    sd12-subduction.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 300
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ray Collins said:
How important is it to use the Golden Ratio in the re-configuration of the box?

In a sub -- not very important at all. Everything happening inside is much higher in frequency than the sub will produce (excite), and from the outside the box the driver does not see the box.

The biggest concern is detailing the mounting so that it fits in 14". If i was doing push-push i might even consider 15mm sides.

dave

Dave,
I understand; I suppose that an additional 1/2" to make it 14.5" wouldn't matter.
I could mount the drivers on the wide sides of the enclosure which would also solve the breathing problem. In this orientation would it matter that one of the drivers would be firing into the arm of the sofa?

Ray

That is what I thought Dave. They will be offset but snugly integrated with a rigid brace which should preserve the desired physics.
I started a new thread on recycling Bozak drivers which I thought would garner your interest. Do you have any T/S parameters on them? They are getting plentyful on Ebay.

Ray

Are there paticular types of drivers that prefer a Push-Push system, like highly effeciant or low QTS for example? What is the sound advantage of a Push-Push system over standard single driver in a ported box.

I am asking because I am looking into building a sub to with my pair of Harveys and subs seem much more complicated to me for some reason. I saw the Harveys and instantly knew that is what I wanted, and I do not understand all the subwoofer stuff well eneough to have that moment.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
germpod said:
Are there paticular types of drivers that prefer a Push-Push system, like highly effeciant or low QTS for example? What is the sound advantage of a Push-Push system over standard single driver in a ported box.

No... push-push is a mechanical arrangement that cancels the newtonian motion of the drivers so that it is not passed onto the box.

What is the sound advantage of a Push-Push system over standard single driver in a ported box.

Quite a bit more downward dynamic range, less box sound.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.