stupid things we've done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Flaming balloons was one of the more fun things I did

They sound similar to our UFO's that I mentioned earlier. Many fell from the sky in flames. Usually the thin dry cleaner bag was consumed before the UFO hit the ground.

The Hot-Dogger was so simple and clever. Just 2 rows of metal spikes.

There was a high tech version in the company cafeteria for a few years. It was a plastic box about 18 inches square. There were several metal rollers inside with the wall outlet connected across each pair. The rollers all turned when the device was on. Hot Dogs were placed on the rollers and the lid closed. I thought the Hot Dogs tasted terrible, but I don't like Hot Dogs any way.

As young blokes we made 'hot air balloons' from tissue parcel wrap powered by a ball of cotton wool soaked in kero and floated them over the town at night.
One night I followed the balloon on my pushbike as the others took a car and it came down in the backyard of the local bank on the main street. I jumped off my bike over the gates and retreived the balloon and jumped back over the gates straight into the welcoming arms of the police. They had seen the balloon and followed it too. My "mates" cruised passed saw the cops and took off.
One rozzer asked what it was and I said "it looks like a hot air balloon I was following it". "bloody hell that could have burnt the bank down" he said then slapped me on the back "youre a bloody hero mate!" popped the ballon in the boot of the patrol car and took off. Leaving me standing on the footpath feeling very relieved.

Ziegler-Natta? We used it to polymerize acetylene, which was really piling it on, danger-wise.

Nope, we were mixing it with AlCl3 to make Et2AlCl. This was then used to make 5-coordinate aluminum halides. Which were then used to dealkylate organphosphines, phates, etc.

It was fun chemistry because we were making 5 and 6 coordinate aluminum species instead of aluminums usual 3.

It was fun chemistry because we were making 5 and 6 coordinate aluminum species instead of aluminums usual 3.

I would guess that those were even more reactive than the TEA! When we'd get a new student in the lab, one of the first things we'd do is show them the right way to get the TEA out of the bottle and into a syringe using argon fed into the septum through a second needle. To illustrate why they had to be really anally-retentive about following procedures, we'd squirt some out of the syringe into the room. Very impressive flame-thrower! Never had an accident in the lab from that.

I would guess that those were even more reactive than the TEA! When we'd get a new student in the lab, one of the first things we'd do is show them the right way to get the TEA out of the bottle and into a syringe using argon fed into the septum through a second needle. To illustrate why they had to be really anally-retentive about following procedures, we'd squirt some out of the syringe into the room. Very impressive flame-thrower! Never had an accident in the lab from that.
Actually, they were surprisingly stable (albeit they would stain every thing you touched a bright yellow) and could handle being exposed to the air for a short while. Especially the 6-coordinate which were post reaction with alkyl phosphines. These had 4 bonds to oxygen and two to the lone pair on some Schiff base nitrogens, so they had no real desire to form any better bonds.

As for the transfer methodf things like that work great for safety lectures too. I did one where we used a small vial of ether and a hot plate and watched as it boiled and then burst into flames.

Very typical Anti-Lawyer instruction :D

CAUTION: ELECTRIC TOY. Immersing this toy in water can cause an electric shock. Not recommended for children under 8 years of age. As with all electric products, precautions should be observed during handling and use to prevent electric shock.

DANGER: To prevent electric shock do not immerse in water. Wipe with a damp cloth.

WARNING : Shock Hazard - Pull plug before changing light bulb. Do not use light bulb larger than 100 watts.

120V AC only.

Adult Assembly required. Philips screwdriver required (not included).

100 WATT light bulb required. Frosted or Standard (not included). Do not use Soft White or Long Life.

I ever tell you about the time I lit up my desk at school?

We were (for a change from Bunsens) using Meth burners, to heat something up. I knocked mine over (accidentally!!), the meths spilt out, and lit up. I was 11 at the time, and having your desk instantaneously light up was interesting, to say the least. The flames were very pretty and my science book escapes with light singes. Anyway, it burnt for a while, then the teacher came over and put it out with a damp cloth. I had the smell of meths for the rest of the lesson, which was fun.

I think it was spanish class. I had to fart, and felt a sneeze coming on. So naturally it seemed like a good idea to mask the noise from the fart, with the sneeze.

Really bad idea, and it also really sucks having everyone including the teacher stare at you in a awkwardly silent moment.

You did not wait for this answer possibly, but the most stupid thing what I made that's it that I got married.
According to me this cannot be fallen short.
I does rocket experiments, anyway.
These with lesser or greater explosions, and conflagration phenomena they were together with.
But some of my rockets flew.
The fuel NaNo3 or KNO3 and the mix of sugar was cooked and dried.
These detonated mostly, some were flying.
The conflagration phenomena I accomplished it with the help of cellulose-nitrate (celluloid) film.
This is gun cotton in a modified form.
It burns under water. Meanwhile tear gas implement blows smoke from itself.
Let the pyromaniac ones live!!!

Wacky Gyuri

Of course, you know that one fart leads to another - seems to be a You Tube staple, especially loads of drunks lighting theirs, sometimes with painful results.

Some people make a fun farting on cigarette lighters. I heard that from a friend who works for an ambulance: they had cases of blown up exhaust device, but drunk young people keep doing that... Ouch... :bomb:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.