Studio Reference Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hi, can anyone give an idea that works, I have a 80-0-80Vac transformer but I need to get 100-0-100Vdc how do I do it? given the formula 80v*1,41=112,8vdc.

Maybe Apex Audio can get you a modified version of this circuit with the appropriate components for a regulated 80vdc supply? Maybe hexFETs can be used instead of the BJT outputs?

188157d1284671254-studio-reference-amplifier-apex-regulated-psu.jpg

Or maybe a shunt regulator similar to one Pass made for Zen line stage and use more 9.1v Zeners to get 80v?

balzenpre_2.png

hi, can anyone give an idea that works, I have a 80-0-80Vac transformer but I need to get 100-0-100Vdc how do I do it? given the formula 80v*1,41=112,8vdc.

If I may, basically 3 options:
1) Arrange a regulator, dropping the voltage from 112 to 100. Advantage - lower ripple, disadvantage - extra power transistors.
2) Use 112 - some modifications may be required (as X just mentioned).
3) Get the new transformer with 2x72 AC windings :)

I would choose the 2-nd option.

If I may, basically 3 options:
1) Arrange a regulator, dropping the voltage from 112 to 100. Advantage - lower ripple, disadvantage - extra power transistors.
2) Use 112 - some modifications may be required (as X just mentioned).
3) Get the new transformer with 2x72 AC windings :)

I would choose the 2-nd option.

thanks guys. Sir Apex can you also help maybe with diagrams/layouts

Apex Audio,

226001d1307363032-studio-reference-amplifier-apex-fet-preamp-buffer.jpg

Do we really need JFETs for the CCS's on this FET buffer amp? They are hard to find or expensive. Can you suggest an alternate BJT CCS version that retains 2SK174 and 2SJ74?

Perhaps 2N5551 or 2N5401 can be used?

Thanks,
X
There is no CCS (Constant Current Source)
The 2sk170& 2sj74 are a push pull complementary buffer.
The 2sk246 & 2n5462 are cascodes.
The 170&74 could be replaced by a low Vp high gm low noise jFET complementary pair.
The 246&2n5462 could be replaced by a high Vp low gm complementary pair

simulation went well :)

Hello guys

I made the simulation and I think it does respond really well :wave2:

I attached :) the multisim 14 file so you guys can use as reference if you want to make the PCB :smash:

Best Regards
Juan

Attachments

• Apex FR100 simulation.zip
    586 KB · Views: 248
  • Apex FR100 simulation.JPG
    Apex FR100 simulation.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Apex FR100 simulation.pdf
    365 KB · Views: 367
APEX FR100 Layout

Please be corrected if there is something wrong with this layout because i are beginner.

Regards,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sent from my Coolpad 8297W using Tapatalk

Hi Kuntarman,

that's a nice layout. Very compact, symmetrical and imaginatively arranged.
I have also started, but have not much progress.

In such a complicated layout, no one will have the time, to really analyze. Build a prototype. I am very curious how does the amplifier sounds.

regards Olaf

APEX FR100 Layout

Please be corrected if there is something wrong with this layout because i are beginner.

Regards,

Sent from my Coolpad 8297W using Tapatalk

Nice, will you share the Sprint file?