Stop the War!, Congress is saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
CBS240 said:
When you find that the terrorists are using a village as a base of operation, you turn that village into rubble. Completely destroy it.

that's something the Chinese have used in the 80s and 90s quite effectively to combat their muslim separatists.

It makes a lot of sense to me as the terrorists are there to achieve some goals. if the message is sent clearly that all they do is to hurt their own people and to further themselves away from their goals, they will give up in the end. Those guys are only using irrational means to achieve their goals rationally.

I think in the end, it is humane to all parties and minimizes collateral damages as well. Kind of like the use of dead forces (wars, weapons, nuclear bombs) to achieve peace.

Unfortunately, such a strategy will never be used until the US suffers a massive set-back then you will have the public support for it. Kind of like the half-assed war in Vietnam.

tlf9999 said:

that's something the Chinese have used in the 80s and 90s quite effectively to combat their muslim separatists.

Not to mention the Syrian dictatorship at Hama, the Hussein dictatorship in Kurdistan, the Maronite Arabs and the other Hussein dictatorship against the Palestinians...

It has not seemed to work very well for the Russians in Chechnya.

rfbrw said:

If this is typical of the level of understanding the US has of the region and Islam in general and Iraq in particular, then it is well and truly up the creek without a paddle.

To restore order, somewhat, and get out so that the different factions of people there can get back to cutting each other's throats and killing each other's children and destroying each other's houses of worship and get back to worshiping death, as they have been doing for over a thousand years, is the goal here. I am very pessimistic that these people are capable of self rule.:apathic: If you have any evidence to the contrary, please share. I have yet to here otherwise.

tlf9999 said:

It makes a lot of sense to me as the terrorists are there to achieve some goals. if the message is sent clearly that all they do is to hurt their own people and to further themselves away from their goals, they will give up in the end. Those guys are only using irrational means to achieve their goals rationally.

I think in the end, it is humane to all parties and minimizes collateral damages as well. Kind of like the use of dead forces (wars, weapons, nuclear bombs) to achieve peace.

Unfortunately, such a strategy will never be used until the US suffers a massive set-back then you will have the public support for it. Kind of like the half-assed war in Vietnam.

You have to get passed the lopsided media outlet. Those who give coverage to the terrorist organizations and essentially spread their message are encouraging their behavior. Also to demonize the effort to stop them encourages them even more. You see all kinds of garbling on TV about when Israel would move into an area to stop disorder. Yet the current actions of Palestinians in Gaza, the looting, the weapons trafficking, the destroying the millions of dollars of resources that have just been given to them, greenhouses and such, is just ignored. Carnage brings ratings. I guess the terrorists are better at creating carnage than we are. We are demonized for our respect for innocent life. We are not the ones targeting them on purpose. Apparently, evil is really good and good is really evil.:confused:

Cal Weldon said:
CBS240,

(Mod hat on)

I strongly suggest you discontinue any further discussion on Islam or it's principals.

Cal

Is there truth to disclaim what I have mentioned?:confused:

That is why I posted it. I would honestly like to know.
Perhaps I'm a little misinformed on the Muslim religion? Just calling it as I see it.

I have left the lane wide open, with the ball in the other team's hands.

I don't think a proper discussion can be waged on the war(that is what this thread is about) without understanding the religious beliefs of the people in that area. It is basic to understanding the situation and the future there.

I don't intend any disrespect, just like to clear the air...perhaps open the truth box on this from those who disagree?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Political/religious threads

It is with regret that this forum can no longer accept the posting of such threads. Remember, this site is called diyAudio. Political/religious threads inevitably become contentious when members with deeply held beliefs meet other members with equally deeply held but diametrically opposed beliefs. Sadly, this has led to behaviour that has necessitated moderator intervention. Intervention on such threads requires considerable delicacy of touch and expenditure of time. Frankly, we'd rather be making some DIY audio...

The diyAudio moderation team.

Status
Not open for further replies.