Stolen Trademark Amplifier from Jim's Audio on EBAY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
board wiring

Hi Guys,
Can you help me please, the wiring of the boards I have a few questions, 1. how many earths are there I see the one from the signal in is there more?
2. the outputs am I right in thinking main board L/R outs to output board PNP and NPN then are output boards linked then to speaker out?
3.does speaker in go direct to the star earth?
4.At what point on which board did you feed the V +/- into?
5. I am using the 1N5309 for D5 and 6 am I right in thinking a link is required for this with the LM334 marked but not fitted?

Hope you can clarify guys may sound simple to some but I just want to get it right.

Thanks

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have one of the original very early 1980 Krell KSA 100's - the heatsink is somewhat undersized and all of the output stages have had to be rebuilt several times by now as the TO 3 thermal compound was baked into dust over time. You want either a bigger sink, higher fan speed , or lower bias current than the original's 2.5 amps if you want long term reliability of the output stage. The original output devices were beta matched and the emitter resistors were upgraded by Krell from carbon composition to non inductive wire wound 1 ohm.

Last edited:
Why should we support Jim's?
He is stealing his product IP from other people and businesses.

If a Forum Member goes to Jim's for stolen IP kit or PCB then Jim's should support that "customer".

This Forum has a strict Rule on not linking to sites that infringe copyright and IP.
If Jim's just avoids using the "name" for every product to bypass our Rule, does that morally equate to "not stealing"?

Why should we support Jim's?
He is stealing his product IP from other people and businesses.

If a Forum Member goes to Jim's for stolen IP kit or PCB then Jim's should support that "customer".

This Forum has a strict Rule on not linking to sites that infringe copyright and IP.
If Jim's just avoids using the "name" for every product to bypass our Rule, does that morally equate to "not stealing"?

"A patent for an invention is the grant of a property right to the inventor, issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Generally, the term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, in special cases, from the date an earlier related application was filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees. U.S. patent grants are effective only within the United States, U.S. territories, and U.S. possessions. Under certain circumstances, patent term extensions or adjustments may be available.

The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling” the invention in the United States or “importing” the invention into the United States. What is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or import, but the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, selling or importing the invention. Once a patent is issued, the patentee must enforce the patent without aid of the USPTO.

There are three types of patents:

1) Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;

2) Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture; and

3) Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant."

General Information Concerning Patents

Last edited:
Hooked Up.

I was able to get back to work on the KSA-100 MKII. I have a photo of using ADCOMM GFA-555 heatsinks. I hooked up a benchtop PS +-
30v 4A to the Jim's Audio driver boards and output boards today and got got bias readings 3mv-6mv adjusting variable resistor VR2 with
10.2volts at the +Vc on the output board. But I have 16.3volts at -Ve with no Bias readings across all its 1ohm 5W emitter resistors at all. What could cause the voltage difference btw Vc and Ve? I read somewhere that the MJE15... transistor are for bias control. No? Should I take out neg side Bias controllers to test for breakdown? I hard wired the collectors from output transistors to output boards as I insulatated heatsinks from the collectors--I didn't want live heatsinks.
Also, I checked for dc offset by tieing both + and - outputs measuring dc voltage across the tie to ground (is this correct?) and get
4Vdc. This is terribly wrong, no? Variable resistor P1 is not adjusting the dc offset at all. I am now thinking I got myself into more than I can
chew.

Attachments

• ksa 100 for Stuart 2.jpg
    ksa 100 for Stuart 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 831
I was able to get back to work on the KSA-100 MKII. I have a photo of using ADCOMM GFA-555 heatsinks. I hooked up a benchtop PS +-
30v 4A to the Jim's Audio driver boards and output boards today and got got bias readings 3mv-6mv adjusting variable resistor VR2 with
10.2volts at the +Vc on the output board. But I have 16.3volts at -Ve with no Bias readings across all its 1ohm 5W emitter resistors at all. What could cause the voltage difference btw Vc and Ve? I read somewhere that the MJE15... transistor are for bias control. No? Should I take out neg side Bias controllers to test for breakdown? I hard wired the collectors from output transistors to output boards as I insulatated heatsinks from the collectors--I didn't want live heatsinks.
Also, I checked for dc offset by tieing both + and - outputs measuring dc voltage across the tie to ground (is this correct?) and get
4Vdc. This is terribly wrong, no? Variable resistor P1 is not adjusting the dc offset at all. I am now thinking I got myself into more than I can
chew.
The retailer of the PCBs should be able to confirm the correct connections.

If there's no patent on the circuitry being infringed, yes, that's right. The IP he is clearly stealing is trademarks and possibly trade dress.

Ethical people should not support such theft, whether or patents or trademarks, nor be surprised when merchants who are unethical in their business practice end up being unethical to their customers as well.

big watts

If there's no patent on the circuitry being infringed, yes, that's right. The IP he is clearly stealing is trademarks and possibly trade dress.

Ethical people should not support such theft, whether or patents or trademarks, nor be surprised when merchants who are unethical in their business practice end up being unethical to their customers as well.
OK. with the power supply that I have invested so far, what amp should I attempt to build with the same class A high current to drive my speakers?

depending on your soldering skills and the ability to understand and follow schematics, we have no clue as to what your skill level is, that is why i say, if you are confident you can do it on your own, then go ahead...

if you ask me the first time power up is the most scary for me, never mind the cost to buy those kits, even if i knew i followed everything, i still get scared....and i have been at it for 40 years...

Stolen

Yes. It is sad that the Chi..... has the up on DIY kits. Hey a few years ago everyone was against Amazon. Look where they are..... Mariano's took over Dominic's in Chicago. What is the saying? Can't stand the heat in the kitchen......How many times do people have to post the after thirty years patents have run its course. If it would take a million Jim's Audio kits to get American kids into what is behind television, I support the effort. I would love to put a store in Chicago with all the stuff to have fun building an amp. With tables of desktop equipments. The main reason.... is to just be with talking tech talk. To Learn

in side job.

Yes. It is sad that the Chi..... has the up on DIY kits. Hey a few years ago everyone was against Amazon. Look where they are..... Mariano's took over Dominic's in Chicago. What is the saying? Can't stand the heat in the kitchen......How many times do people have to post the after thirty years patents have run its course. If it would take a million Jim's Audio kits to get American kids into what is behind television, I support the effort. I would love to put a store in Chicago with all the stuff to have fun building an amp. With tables of desktop equipments. The main reason.... is to just be with talking tech talk. To Learn
Do you know that you could use the energy that you apply eastward inward unto ourself. Meaning. Stanton must be LOL at our non-commercial abilities could be used to develop into an entertaining hot spot for likes of us. Put up or shut up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.