• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build Log

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice Steve. Chris choose a similar veneer for the FH3 we are currently doing.

dave

well the supplier shipped the wrong product twice, so it's not exactly a true ribbon-grain, but will be fine

takes longer to apply the veneer and inlay solid edging for chamfers than to assemble the cabinets (discounting glue drying )

stained that nice dark port colour with lacquer finish to follow in the next couple of days

BTW folks, if you're planning on burying your magnets for grilles, do it before assembling the boxes :shhh: -it that was fun jigging up on the drill press - found yet another way to use "carpenter" app in my iPhone

Dave took some photos of an assembly mock up of the FH3 a week or so ago, including damping schemes for different drivers. In his spare time, he'll probably get around to updating the FH site or the vendor's thread here.

nudge - nudge

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
takes longer to apply the veneer and inlay solid edging for chamfers than to assemble the cabinets (discounting glue drying)

And less time to assemble than to pack for shipping.

In his spare time

Spare time? Teaser attached.

dave

Attachments

• flat-pak-bitsS.jpg
    flat-pak-bitsS.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 499
Thanks for the comments guys, it was a fun and rewarding project.

Zia, I'm using a touch over 1.5lbs per cabinet of genuine Poly-fil. I ended up going to a local hobby store and snatching some up about 6lbs for right over $13 USD. Steal of a deal compared to online stores selling it for much more per pound.

Chrisb, Fortunately I don't foresee the need for speaker grills on these cabinets due to the limited amount of people I have over, as well as the strict rules my girlfriend understands about my listening room. Plus I absolutely love the copper/gold-ish color of the cones.

The speakers sure do sound great and I think I got the amount of stuffing spot on so I'll permanently seal them up in a couple of days. I think my amplifier and this speaker combination work real well together, providing a nice smooth and relaxing sound. Though, I plan to step it up a bit to the higher end of amplification and see what kind of detail I can really pull out of these things. I'm also using the absolute worst rca's available to man kind (the free generic ones you get with new equipment) so that may be a slight limiting factor in regards to getting more of a sharpness in detail and presentation.

Overall, everything just sounds 'right' no shouting vocals, nice smooth warm sound that's very inviting and non-fatiguing.

Cheers,
Steven

Thanks Zia, that may be the best route to go for me right now. I had also looked into making my own silver interconnects but finding some high purity silver in the right size proved to be a problem for me at the time. Then again, I reckon just about anything will be a day and night difference from what I'm currently using. I've heard great things about the Dayton RCA's from PartsExpress, and if they truly are a "giant killer" at the price of $15 for 1 meter, they might just be a steal of a deal.

Thanks Zia, that may be the best route to go for me right now. I had also looked into making my own silver interconnects but finding some high purity silver in the right size proved to be a problem for me at the time. Then again, I reckon just about anything will be a day and night difference from what I'm currently using. I've heard great things about the Dayton RCA's from PartsExpress, and if they truly are a "giant killer" at the price of $15 for 1 meter, they might just be a steal of a deal.

you can't call yourself a DIYer 'til you've rolled your own interconnects and speaker wires from magnet wire, or at least CAT5 etc #24 solid

'sposed to be a smiley there!

the cheapie Radio Shack RCA plugs and UTP wire are quick and easy to build, and unless you have a real issue with noise, can sound great - for $15 you could probably build a couple of pairs of 1 meter ( if not longer - the actual conductor cost is silly dirt cheap - there are 4 twisted pair of #24 in CAT5, and it takes longer to strip the jacket and unravel the pairs than to build the cables)

I've been looking at the tutorials for building different interconnects and keep reading that the 'silver in teflon' interconnect is better than the twisted Cat5. I'm not sure what to believe and think, driving around looking for parts will end up costing me an arm and a leg. We'll see though. I'll swing by the rat shack tonight and see what I can cook up.

I've been looking at the tutorials for building different interconnects and keep reading that the 'silver in teflon' interconnect is better than the twisted Cat5. I'm not sure what to believe and think, driving around looking for parts will end up costing me an arm and a leg. We'll see though. I'll swing by the rat shack tonight and see what I can cook up.

I guess it's just the frugal in me that balks at the idea of cost of silver wire. I bought some a few years ago for wiring a custom pre-amp and interconnects/speaker wire as part of a complete system, and frankly thought it sounded wonderful. I've toyed with the idea of trying it again for myself, but just can't get over the sticker shock.

Oh man, I know. I've called every single jewelry place in town looking for a couple feet of wire with no luck. All I can find is spools of the wire and it's a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Plus the thought of having the rest of the footage wasted kind of irks me as well. Maybe I can get a couple friends of mine to go in on it with me so it won't be such a waste buying a spool.

Also, a tad off topic. I got to hear the Dayton DTA-100 amplifier sold on the PartsExpress website. It was nice. Tiny, crystal clear, dynamic, and VERY clean sounding.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've been looking at the tutorials for building different interconnects and keep reading that the 'silver in teflon' interconnect is better than the twisted Cat5.

But at what cost?

As well, silver vrs copper can be very system dependent, and often the differences are often not revealed until you get to the highest resolution systems.

A meter of solid core CAT5 and a pack of the cheap Radio Shack RCAs should cost less than a tener (and include a cup of coffee), and will give an absolute frugal-phile(tm) reference as you continue on your journey.

dave

Well, a stroke of luck just happened upon me. I walked into the office to talk with our engineer, and saw a 51" piece of solid core cat 5 laying on his desk. I snatched it up after talking with him for a couple minutes and went along my way. I'm seriously thrilled about making my own interconnects tonight. Looks like I'll have myself a nice set of RCA's by the night's end. Thanks guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.