Stealth Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting 5 minutes is a prime example of audiophoolery. Proper engineers listen within 5 seconds and within 10 already know that the caps sound just like any other cap.

But it doesn't make sense! A proper engineer wouldn't listen to a cap, as it cannot possibly alter the sound quality of the device. It would be right to dig into the circuit design, because it's the place where flaws have probably been made.

A capacitor is not all the same

I have tons of the engineering B.S., all resistors, and capacitors sound very similar.
The same sloop as a solid state amp measures far better then even the best
Vacuum tube amps but sonivly the ear has a Big say in that perception.
Just like a power cord is a power cord,.capacitors arel made from msny different materials
Teflon, poly , Mylar psper,oil, if all capacitors were similar companies like Mundorf
And Duelund would be out a job. One more let here with many boutique capacitors
They can take 300 hours plus yo run in, in fact 100 plus hours to start opening up.
Cheap $4 caps 30 hours already close to runin, I have with other fine blind testing and
Many 1,000s of hours over 15 year period . The ears are still night and day a better judge
Then a scope and a graph. The doubters can have their pin point accurate Razer amps
Mine just make pure music. Nelson Pass assisted with my dual mono custom
Dual mono Class- A ,F-6 amp. GO Tell Nelson all caps and resistors are the same .
If that were the case he would not have his reference line ,with far better grade parts.

One of the features of people who buy snake oil is that they are convinced that it is good stuff. They tell their friends what good taste and fine judgement they have. They even say "if it didn't work then people would not be selling it"; this merely shows that they do not understand free market capitalism.

Much of the rest of your post shows confusion between audiophilia and hi-fi.

One of the features of people who buy snake oil is that they are convinced that it is good stuff. They tell their friends what good taste and fine judgement they have. They even say "if it didn't work then people would not be selling it"; this merely shows that they do not understand free market capitalism.

Much of the rest of your post shows confusion between audiophilia and hi-fi.

I we change a few words in your comment but keep the same style, it becomes:

One of the features of people who rely on flawless measurement results is that they are convinced the measured device is good stuff. They tell their friends what good objective data and fine parameters they have. They even say "if it didn't measure good, then people wouldn't be selling it"

A perfect quote and I intend to keep it. Thanks! :D

Glad to be of service.

I have never come across anyone who has achieved flawless measurement results, but maybe you have?

No worries, I'll explain. The way I used the term "flawless measurements" in my context, it is a subjective term used by people measuring equipment and expressing their satisfaction by the end results. In a few words, flawless is the word that satisfies their minimum data needs.

If you ask my subjective opinion, DIN 45 500 is pretty satisfactory for me as for measurement results go, then the ears take it from there.

OK, by "flawless" you mean flawed but not too much.

Discussion on this forum is often hampered by people who have their own private version of physics, or their own private version of the meanings of words.

My point was different, but you understood it in another way. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I respect everyone's different view on things.

I can replace some words of your second sentence the same way as I did above. I see no further point though, as I believe the main goal of this thread (advice to the OP) will be neglected further.

I wonder though, how much objectivity did you put into this "hampering" of the discussions on this forum phenomenon. Because one thing is highly possible - mine, yours or every other's opinion here can be considered as a hampering one from the point of view of someone else.

It is objectively true that nobody can have his own private version of physics, as we all live in the same universe. OK, that is an assumption but I have not come across any LGM on DIYaudio. There are people here who think they are LGM, as they believe they live in a world when Fourier, Shannon (and sometimes even Kirchoff) do not exist.

It is nearly as true that communication is severely hampered when people attempt to have private meanings for words. I say 'nearly' because, unlike physics, words are a human invention so there is always scope for minor nuances of meaning to differ. Using "X" to mean "not X" is not a nuance of meaning.

However, we are going well OT so I am happy to leave it at that.

Everyone can have his own private version of anything he or she wishes. The universe might be one, but everyone of us has different perceptions of it and experiences that lead us to different assumptions. Sharing a subjective POV into a social place is another matter.
I have no wish however to develop this debate further, because of my skepticism that it might not lead to an useful outcome.

It is nearly as true that communication is severely hampered when people attempt to have private meanings for words. I say 'nearly' because, unlike physics, words are a human invention so there is always scope for minor nuances of meaning to differ. Using "X" to mean "not X" is not a nuance of meaning.

You said it. In the end, I see no harm done, when one clarifies the exact meaning of the words used. We're humans after all and for the reasons of individual differences in knowledge and expression, misunderstandings happen.

When Samsung builds a smartphone, or Amazon builds a data center, or NASA builds a Mars Rover do they pre-burn in the many capacitors or do they engineer the product to function perfectly with virgin caps? Or is this issue only relevant to the much more complex world of audio?

IMHO, audio gear merits its own unique approach. I believe lots of further research should be done. It will be useful to both camps - the skeptics and the audioPhools. It will also potentially result in price lowering of ridiculously expensive gear. Long live DIY!
I believe that everything we hear can be measured, but I also strongly think that we might actually be measuring the wrong thing or missing it completely from the list. I also have a personal hypothesis that different electrical components might interact in some physical ways on our minds more than on the equipment itself and this first might be a reason we can hear the differences.

But for example, if you told me that my personal computer needs high-end burned in capacitors for a faster CPU performance, I would take it with a humorous grain of salt. I wouldn't deny a tiny possibility though.

IMHO, audio gear merits its own unique approach. I believe lots of further research should be done. It will be useful to both camps - the skeptics and the audioPhools. It will also potentially result in price lowering of ridiculously expensive gear. Long live DIY!
john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-post5088365
SIGNATURE CENTURY
Take a good look at the Herculean development (and materials and processes) that have gone into this item.
For audio reproduction are these costs necessary or worth the trouble ?....time will tell.
I believe that everything we hear can be measured, but I also strongly think that we might actually be measuring the wrong thing or missing it completely from the list. I also have a personal hypothesis that different electrical components might interact in some physical ways on our minds more than on the equipment itself and this first might be a reason we can hear the differences.
In my explorations it seems that all components generate noise due to a number of mechanisms and that these noises interact and drive each other producing a dynamically changing signature noise that we identify and react to despite this noise level measuring vanishingly low in standard tests.

Standard quick tests will give a rough noise measurement but are too fast (not enough sample points) to properly categorise the nature of these noises.
These intrinsic noises are dynamically level and signal dependent, so perhaps this noise categorisation is not not possible except for defined levels and signals.

The ear is remarkable in it's ability to discriminate low level sounds that are not 'natural' and 'do not belong' and standard testing does not reveal these kinds of 'errors'.

Dan.

50AE said:
Everyone can have his own private version of anything he or she wishes. The universe might be one, but everyone of us has different perceptions of it and experiences that lead us to different assumptions.
It might be that you don't really mean what you have just said, but in case you do mean it I will be careful not to ride in any vehicle you might design or walk across or under any bridge you might have designed.

I also have a personal hypothesis that different electrical components might interact in some physical ways on our minds more than on the equipment itself and this first might be a reason we can hear the differences.
Did you sleep through all your school science lessons? Or did you believe that your personal verson of physics was different from that of the teacher and the rest of the class? I hope you will forgive me when I say that you probably have no idea how ridiculous your opinion sounds to anyone who knows any science - and I probably have no idea how ridiculous the truth sounds to people who know no science.

I did. By far the best sound i ever heard from the Zellatons, but maybe they are just not for me.

And another wildcard was an obscure Russian phone pre.

Attachments

• DSC_6777a.jpg
    DSC_6777a.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.