SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Thanks Salas.
Is there a limit to the length of wire between power supply reg and end component?
Looking at possiblity of remote power supply for BA-3. Current FM4 tuner is connected to BiB via about a third of a metre of wire (perhaps a little longer).
Chris

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am going to build one of these to give 5V for my Optivol/Lightspeed volume control but don't know the power consumption for this. Can someone please advise as to what value resistor to use for the dummy load as I see a couple of guys have already powered theirs this way.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just finished my +5V bib for use with my Optivol volume control which is used in conjunction with a DCB1. I used a 100R and a 500R trimmer so that I could adjust to exactly 5V. Everything works ok with just a 0.01V drift over 30 mins and nothing overheating. There is 1.44V drop across R301 so 144ma would I need to change the value of R301 as I am unsure of the current draw of the optivol. All I've to do now is prize the preamp away from a friend[he likes it a lot] and fit the bib. I hope the improvements are as those noted br Malka07 and Kerux.

Last edited:
I have completed one of the split rail BiB regulators for the BA-3 (-25V-0-+25V) It is working fine on a 390 ohm dummy load. The BA-3 front end is incomplete at present. It is being fed from a 25V, 1A transformer. Will I need to attach the BiB ground to the star ground of the other power supply which is providing power to the output mosfets of the amp?
Chris

Second question: I have about 10cm between the BA-3 front end and the regulated power supply. Would I get away with joining the outputs on the BiB board and then having just three wires (+, 0, and -ve) from the board to the front end i.e., not twisting a series of output wires? How critical is this distance?
Chris

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
First question: Better ask in the BA-3 thread since its about a specific system grounding preference and there maybe hands on expertise beyond we may try theorize here.

Second question: It will still work fine, but 10cm has enough finite resistance and inductance that you maybe able to feel the remote sensing benefit if patient enough to apply. Another plan is you get away initially and you try restoring remote sense later when familiar and at leisure. Would be fun to try test just how much 10cm can catch you out or not.:)