Sreten & Speakerman go at series XOs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Ahh, you're Scottish speakerdoctor?

Steve, the paper you presented gave me the impression these act like kind of an automatic transmission of sorts? I can't help but think it would cover for any doubts a person would have over whether they have crossed properly. Still, I prefer my vehicles to have a manual transmission :D even though that puts me in the minority this century :(

Right on both counts, speakerman19422. This fine Morel SCW636 Carbon Fibre cone has exemplary extended frequency response and ultralow inductance at 0.29mH.
Morel Supreme SCW636

I did find I could include a useful 1400Hz bass trap with the 5" paper 0.6mH W130S in combination with the interesting Visaton TW70 paper cone tweeter without messing anything up. Results here are not far different from what I could do with a 2nd. order parallel filter, but time alignment worked far better with the series network. I'd reckon this would be a good sounding setup, and the Fs filter transforms the TW70 from a BADLY BEHAVED HORROR into something that works well with series.

I tried both series and the SFE 'capless' xo with my 'Intimates' 2-ways and found both yielded a low efficiency speaker. Your modeled response suggests this as well with avg. level around 85 dB. One watt or 2.83V input in your model?

I ended up with the SFE xo in my intimates and a 2.83 V output of 84 dB @ 1M.

I really enjoyed reading about your INTIMATES LOUDSPEAKER, speakerdoctor. Very nice. But you missed a trick really. That huge 3mH bafflestep coil necessary on a freestander killed off the efficiency and slowed down the bass. These Eltim-style series filters don't have bafflestep, so you get 6dB of wall gain from a wallmounted bookshelf design, which is what they really are. Worth mentioning that they are really second order filters too. :)

The W130S is not very loud because it is SMALL, but it's not the crossover at fault here. It all works nicely because you can then use resistors in the tweeter crossover which are a good thing in themselves for that valve smoothness. Series and Parallel filters actually compliment each other. If you think about it, the drivers interact on a series filter when driven by a voltage amplifier, but then so would parallel drivers if driven by current source. :cool:

Not only do the filters and crossover points design themselves with series filters (Le, Re, Cz...), but so do the cabinets and positioning. Truly amazing. :D

I still haven't got a series working right with a fullrange driver used as a tweeter, which I know Planet_10 likes in the small FostexFF85WK version. It might lose the Fs filter too, which would be good. The time aligned parallel version with a Visaton FRS 5x8 2" fullrange has phase alignment to die for. FWIW, the unusual 1.5mH coil on the tweeter controls the 190Hz Fs resonance more than anything, as shown in the second frequency response where it is omitted.

Attachments

• Visaton FRS 5X8_Fullrange_Tweeter.JPG
    Visaton FRS 5X8_Fullrange_Tweeter.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 448
  • visaton_FRS5x8_Circuit.JPG
    visaton_FRS5x8_Circuit.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 445
  • visaton_FRS5x8_Phase.JPG
    visaton_FRS5x8_Phase.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 443
  • visaton_FRS5x8_FreqResp.JPG
    visaton_FRS5x8_FreqResp.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 407
  • visaton_FRS5x8_FreqResp_NoHPCoil.JPG
    visaton_FRS5x8_FreqResp_NoHPCoil.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 421
:) To digress for a moment with your interesting Intimates Loudspeaker. I simmed it using similar drivers. Very good phase alignment from 2-7kHz. Frequency response way better than I expected, albeit letting a bit of midbass cone breakup through. Terrible efficiency, of course, and it simply doesn't work as a bookshelf on this type of simple filter, so you have to live with that.

:cool: What amazed me, was that the capacitor equivalent was ABSOLUTELY identical, apart from radically different impedance which would behave differently with a valve amp. Well, that IS interesting!

Attachments

• Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_FreqResp.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_FreqResp.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_Circuit.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_Circuit.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Intimates_Sim_Phase.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_Phase.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Intimates_Sim_FreqResp.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_FreqResp.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Intimates_Sim_Circuit.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_Circuit.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_Phase.JPG
    Intimates_Sim_CapacitorEquivalent_Phase.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 129
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:) To digress for a moment with your interesting Intimates Loudspeaker. I simmed it using similar drivers. Very good phase alignment from 2-7kHz. Frequency response way better than I expected, albeit letting a bit of midbass cone breakup through.

You have me confused. Your XO disgram is a parallel network (the speaker referenced series), and do you mean mid-treble (5-10k) instead of mid-bass (40-80 hz)?

dave

The Morel System7 posts looks more reasonable than I thought lol.

Mind you, Audax AP130ZO (admittedly not the high end HM line) is rather good with an Le of 0.4mH, and the Fostex FW137 is the best Ive yet to find, at 0.06 mH if the specsheet I have is correct.

http://www.stereo-lab.de/EN/media/docs/fw137-datenblatt.pdf

If the specs are to be believed, the Fostex looks A1 perfect for a low order, perhaps even first order filter, crossed to a nice extended range tweeter.....At modest volumes only though....

Blast! wrong thread.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.