SqueezBox substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Logitech bought Slim Devices, who used to make the squeezebox.... and the logitech transporter costs 2K now. :bawling:

Allthough the old squeezebox is now only $300

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Logitech Transporter USD 1999.99

3073.1.0.jpg

Logitech Sqeezebox USD 299.99

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/&cl=us,en

weissi said:
U700 is the DAC, namely a CS4345.

Ah thanks weissi, according to datasheet, this dac only receives left justified input. CS4344 would accept I2S input - so out of luck there.

That's a good price for the squeezebox now but I will probably go down the route on peufeu's thread - high quality multichannel audio over ethernet http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85473&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I just found appealing the idea of an exsiting box with decent form factor and all the user interfaces sorted out for two channel audio as an interim solution especially if it had another set of functionality ie. cable TV decoding

So my question is what does U750 do next to the audio outputs? Also what about the pin header on the upper right hand corner of the circuit board right behind the LED? It's interesting it seems to be able to take more RAM with that expansion port, least I think it's for RAM.

abiedoodles said:
hi kec, any update in tweaking your SMCWAA-G , i bought one on ebay waiting for it to come.

Not too much to report. I think I found the correct SPDIF connector that should fit U750. I know, I2S is desired, but, I haven't heard back from BridgeCo on their chip and it doesn't appear that you can tap I2S off of the current DAC.

Anyway, if anyone is interested Digikey has the TOTX141PFT ($2.70) and TOTX179PFT ($4.12) which should fit, I think. Right now they are out of TOTX141, but have 1500+ of the TOTX179. I'm about to order one, but want to get other parts for the order.

Thanks for the update. I also purchased one of these and have been following the thread here and on av123forum.

Have you had a chance to verify that the spdif signal is indeed supplied to those pads on the pc board? I was thinking of checking it out with a scope this weekend.

The DM830 datasheet seems to be unavailable online. Has anyone had any luck?

I too would like to tap off I2S, but if the DAC is 4345 it supports only MSB Justified, so the DM830 must be programmed that way. A pity.

However, it may be possible to convert MSB Justified to I2S with a simple circuit. The timing looks almost identical ( at a glance, that is ) except for WCLK polarity and I2S seems to delay by a clock cycle after the WCLK transition.

Nordic said:
Logitech bought Slim Devices, who used to make the squeezebox.... and the logitech transporter costs 2K now. :bawling:

Allthough the old squeezebox is now only $300

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/&cl=us,en

I just bought a white squeezeBox for $229 with free shipping from SlimDevices with their sale in May. Use the promo code "LIVE365" for a $20 discount. BTW.. The sale price was $249, but the discount code for the $20 still works.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.