SqueezBox substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Congratulations

wackyterbacky said:
Hi Ken:

Very neat work.

I just finished my kludged conversion, but went a different direction. I did not get a chance to order the TOTX parts, so I scrounged a PC mount RCA jack from an old sound card and put a coax output. Works great, and even passes the bitperfect "udial.wav" test.

I tested this out with a jumper wire direct connection from the DM830 chip to a DAC and it locked in and played music.

I'll post the ugly pix tomorrow, but I jumpered the R106 with a few strands of copper wire twisted together and tinned, since I did not have any solid wire small enough.

I flipped the RCA connector upside down so it's two solder tabs face up. I drilled two 1/16 holes into the RCA connector body and used two tiny screws to attach it to the PC board, using the TOTX mounting holes. I had to bring wires from under the board.

My biggest F'up was drilling the hole correctly, so it took a bit of filing to get it right.

I also noticed that the Analog RCA connectors cause problems fitting the case back together. There is a yellow plastic screw mount boss on top that is not used, but it interferes with the LCD "tray" during reassembly. I just cut it flush with some snips.

By the way, I am playing flac and ape files on this thing. I use tversity media server (freeware) and installed the ffdshow codecs (freeware) per the instructions on one of the forums. Someone gave very detailed instructions on installation.

The latest Tversity gives you radiotime.com which has a bunch of free stations.

I also downloaded uSirius (freeware) and have Sirius high bandwidth channels, too. You have to subscribe to Sirius.

I am amazed at the utility of this little device.

Thanks wacky.

What points did you tap off for the coax connector?

does it reclock?

I wonder if someone could check the clock rate for the LRCK pin (pin 3) on the DAC(CS4345) while playing a 16bit 44.1khz .wav file. I am wondering if it is re-sampled to 48khz. I also wonder how it well it handles uncompressed CD audio.

I can actually feed my DAC (Opus) directly with the same format as the onboard DAC takes, that is left justified. So I could feed it in the same fashion as you would feed an I2S input DAC.

I just want to know if what comes out will be the same as what came in so to speak. :)

Cheers!
Russ

I am very glad that SPDIF output is possible with the EZ streamer with only a very small modification. However I am a bit worried about connecting that output to coax. I am not very educated in the operations of SPDIF signals, but from what I understand TOSLINK output is normally driven by a 5V TTL level signal, while coax outputs are driven by a lower 1V line level. From what I have read not all DACs will accept TTL level input, and therefore the signal must be conditioned (perhaps a pi-pad would be adequate).

Your thoughts?

I am a little disappointed that my SMCWAA-G has not arrived yet. Tracking information says it arrived in Canada on June 20th, so maybe it got held up at the border.

Fs and Coax outputs

I was curious about resampling. My coax modified EZ Stream is connected to the coax input of a Denon AVR987 ( virtually identical to an AVR2807 ) The Denon can display the input frequency of the source. When I play ripped CD files ( flac encoded ) it displays 44.1kHz. When I play Internet Audio, it usually displays 32kHz, except for Sirius High Bandwidth, which displays 44.1kHz.

I can play the udial.wav file perfectly, but decided to try a DTS file. This did not play under any input configuration. However, I later discovered that the ffdshow codecs selections require modification to enable DTS and Uncompressed. These are Disabled by default.

I tried the DTS file again with ffdshow DTS enabled as "All" and Uncompressed Enabled. DTS did not play, and neither did any other files. PCM Zero was displayed by the Denon. I put ffdshow back to the way I started. I don't really understand DTS playback as a metric for bitperfect.

With regard to coax output, I admit the "just hook 'em up" approach may not be optimal. I was expecting to build some buffering circuit. No one can locate the spec for the DM830 chip, this output may or may not have high current drive capacity.

I have tested this coax output with a Perpetual Tech P-3A, Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box, and finally the Denon receiver. I get a lock with each device and hear great music.

There may be more jitter, slew rate loading and ringing. Eventually I may buffer the output.

OK, I finally received my unit and did the digital out mod. It works!! I had a heck of a time soldering in the 100R resistor because all I have is 0805 size. I had to solder it in on its side.:eek:

I really like this little box; definitely worth the money. It would be great if it could connect to a network storage device without having a PC on.

Thanks to everyone who contributed info for the mod.:cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

theAnonymous1 said:
OK, I finally received my unit and did the digital out mod. It works!! I had a heck of a time soldering in the 100R resistor because all I have is 0805 size. I had to solder it in on its side.:eek:

I really like this little box; definitely worth the money. It would be great if it could connect to a network storage device without having a PC on.

Thanks to everyone who contributed info for the mod.:cool:

Glad to see you got your unit and everything is working.

Actually, you can run this from certain NAS devices that support UPnP without the PC, Buffalo LinkStation Pro (which is what I have) or the Linksys NSLU2 and there may be others. The only problem is I don't know if it will transcode lossless files in this particular setup.

Another one up and working :)

This one is simple coax SPDIF output direct from from the controller. Nothing fancy. I may add a simple buffer later, but for now I don't feel any need. It sounds great. I just created a solder bridge across the missing resistor.

it is feeding an Opus DAC with a transformer on the SPDIF input. It took about 10 minutes. :)

I then setup tversity to stream all of my FLAC encoded files which reside on a Linux box. I just created a SAMBA share and turn on my notebook(XP) when I want to stream to the SBC.

Already have a several Squeezbox 3 but I could not resist picking one of these up for around $40 just to fiddle with. :) All in all I am very happy with it.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,185
Re: Another one up and working :)

Russ White said:
This one is simple coax SPDIF output direct from from the controller. Nothing fancy. I may add a simple buffer later, but for now I don't feel any need. It sounds great. I just created a solder bridge across the missing resistor.

it is feeding an Opus DAC with a transformer on the SPDIF input. It took about 10 minutes. :)

What is the voltage you are getting on the coax? Did you check to see if it is resampling?

Re: Re: Another one up and working :)

rossl said:

What is the voltage you are getting on the coax? Did you check to see if it is resampling?

I don't know yet what the voltage swing on the SPDIF output is, but I am guessing looking at the circuit it is about 3VPP.

You could use a simple voltage divider to get to 1Vpp.

I can state for certain it is not resampling as when I test it with another receiver it says it's 44.1khz PCM.

Cheers!
Russ

bitperfect?

Glad to see more digital conversions. I added a coax output and it has worked with 2 DAC, a Denon AV receiver and Audio Alchemy DTI PRO32. I use the DTI Pro32 inbetween the SMC and the receiver.

I am using TVersity as the server and ffdshow to transcode flac and ape files.

The Denon indicates 44.1kHz during playback, so no resampling to 48kHz.

However, I can't determine if it is bitperfect. If I stream a DTS wav file ( downloaded from somewhere ) to my Denon AV receiver, I get noise. It will play the udial.wav just fine, but I understand this may not be a bit perfect test.

ffdshow has a codec for DTS, but there are multiple options. Also, I had read somewhere that you have to enable Uncompressed support in ffdshow. I tried a few options and gave up.

I have done all these tests with the SMC at max output. But, the volume control on the remote works on the digital output. That suggests it won't be bit perfect, since some digital filtering is taking place.

Hi, just got lucky and buyed a ez-stream on ebay.
Great work you are doing with this little thing guy's.

I bought it, from someone, which (don't know for sure yet! Auction just finished 7 hours ago) will not sent to outside the USA :( -- So maybe one of you guy's living in the US could help me, sending it to Denmark (from youre place ofcause), if the seller wont do it. PLEASE... :angel:, i will reply when seller answers my mail... (sry. for this offtopic)

On my dddac i have the choise between coax / torx input, and while my CD uses the torx, it might be convienvent for me that the EZ-streamer uses the coax. So could someone perhaps post schematics howto add coax output from ez-streamer (i have normal coax 75ohm input, with no transformer) ?

Jesper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.