SqueezBox substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The new SB Receiver (SBR) has no display and goes for $150. The display is moved to the remote control. You can, of course, control it from any wi-fi web browser device such as a PDA, Nokia N800, pepper-pad, laptop, etc., so you don't have to spring $400 to get the remote + SBR.

The remote sells for $300. A little high for a hardware specific controller, but I imagine there will be a lot of universal IR functionality programmed into it. Recent releases of the nightlies have added IR control that talks directly to an SB3.

I have been using a beta test remote for a few months now. At first it was barely useable but it just keeps getting better and better. Once it is out in public the community will add all sorts of capability that Logitech hasn't yet considered.

I_F

I_Forgot said:
The new SB Receiver (SBR) has no display and goes for $150. The display is moved to the remote control. You can, of course, control it from any wi-fi web browser device such as a PDA, Nokia N800, pepper-pad, laptop, etc., so you don't have to spring $400 to get the remote + SBR.

I_F

Not true. You need the controller to perform the initial setup. Specifically, you need to enter the passkey using the controller. You can't do that using SlimServer on these other devices.

I_Forgot said:

Really? That sucks...

I_F

It sucks for now....there is talk on the Slim Devices forum about it and the consensus seems to be that after a few months some enterprising coder will figure out how to configure an SBR without the special controller. The Slim/Logitech folks seem to suggest that its possible and that they don't have a problem with someone doing that, just that they don't plan to do it themselves. So I wouldn't totally write it off.

Todd

rossl said:
The problem with the SMC box is the small display is too far away from my chair and it is hard to read.

The Squeezebox handheld controller would be nice, and easy to read, but I don't want to pay that much for it :D

It is pricey. Especially considering we're talking about a "poor man's" squeezebox.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread BTW. I added the Toslink to my SMC and fed it into my Panny XR10. Sounds great. My problem with it is the slow interface (even running FUPPES) and the fact that I can't control it from my laptop like I can Slimserver (at least not that I can tell). Guess I've just been spoiled all this time!

Todd

rossl said:
The problem with the SMC box is the small display is too far away from my chair and it is hard to read.

The Squeezebox handheld controller would be nice, and easy to read, but I don't want to pay that much for it :D

I'm lucky enough to be one of the beta testers (I guess because I posted on the SD forum quite a bit), so they sent me a controller about 6 months ago, and the new receiver module (which just arrived today) at no cost. Total Value = $399+shipping! How's that for customer service?

ezkcdude said:

I'm lucky enough to be one of the beta testers (I guess because I posted on the SD forum quite a bit), so they sent me a controller about 6 months ago, and the new receiver module (which just arrived today) at no cost. Total Value = $399+shipping! How's that for customer service?

Well, by all means, post your impressions. Not jealous, or so I keep telling myself. :bawling:

Todd

ezkcdude said:

Just goes to show that there are some places where time is better wasted than others! I haven't heard of anyone getting anything for hanging out here...

I_F

I_Forgot said:

Just goes to show that there are some places where time is better wasted than others! I haven't heard of anyone getting anything for hanging out here...

I_F

He he. Then again, they are actually a company making a product. But yeah, I've never heard of another website or company that does this. The cool thing is that it was completely out of the blue. They never asked who wanted to be in the program; instead, they just sent the units to people who posted a lot.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, just a quick question. I picked one of these up on ebay (cheap!), and I'd like to do the optical output mod. However, the Toshiba Toslink transmitter is now listed as an obsolete item. I've not ordered from Digikey before...any advice here?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.