Spice simulation

When I upgraded from LTspice III to IV, the update didn't work at all. I had to reinstall from scratch with a fresh download. I have heard there might be a problem with Win98, but I don't know details.

Early versions of IV had a problem with certain CPUs but Mike supposedly fixed that.

For me, version IV has been way better than III. I used to have big-time convergence problems but most of these have gone away.

saj888 said:
The reason I have never been interested in SPICE its because most of what I have read on the net about it is from experimenters who just seems to be doing electronics as a hobby. Nothing concrete that would benefit techs who who like me who repair over 20 pieces of pro audio every week. Average 12 amps a week for over 15 years.
Most of what I have seen on the net is for amateurs and non professionals.

Ltspice is extremely powerful and very useful but mainly for design.

IME it has limited use for pro audio repairs and I have never used it
myself for such. You really just don't have time to bother with spice
if you are trying to crank through as many amps as you can per
day to pay bills.

The only exception I can think of is a specific design problem
where you will see a particular model back continually.

T

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
andy_c said:
When I upgraded from LTspice III to IV, the update didn't work at all. I had to reinstall from scratch with a fresh download. I have heard there might be a problem with Win98, but I don't know details.

Early versions of IV had a problem with certain CPUs but Mike supposedly fixed that.

For me, version IV has been way better than III. I used to have big-time convergence problems but most of these have gone away.

Yeah, I've been putting up with convergence issues for a while now. Downloading the latest version from scratch at the moment.
I'll see how that goes.

Cheers,
Glen

Hello

Im trying to do a simulation of a class d amplifier before building it, but i have not found a model for the mosfets i think are the best for this amplifier. The mosfets are the international rectifier IRFI4024h_117p.

Anyone could help me on this??
How do i create a model for this amplifier??

Thanks on advance

Chico

Re: Help

Marc Vi. said:
Who will analyze an amplifier for me with Spice? I am more a theoretical designer and I have no experience with Spice and also no time for it. Please mail me.

LOL! Maybe there's some tyro who's sufficiently impressed with "The Ultimate Stuplifier" that they'll not only simulate it for you, but shine your shoes too!

It wouldn't surprise me.

Simulation request from Marc

You currently have email blocked, and the DNS on your web site doesn't resolve, so it is fairly hard for anybody to contact you.

On what basis do you expect the simulation to be done? If we arrange it though my employer, it will come out fairly costly. Privately, it would be cheaper, but you would have to wait some weeks until I had the time at the weekend.

Accurate Distortion sim in LTSpice

I have been simming an emitter degenerated LTP Trying to see how stepping the degenerating resistor effects performace and not getting expected results. After some reading, found there are preferences (Reltol .ie) that are not set for accurate distortion results. Changed a couple started to get dropping dist. with increased degeneration as expected. What preferences in LTSpice should be changed from there default values, and what these values should be to give the most accurate distortion(FFT) results. I know there are tolerance values to change, and the amount of data compresion ( the "help" mentions changing window size but dosnt say how much). Does any one have a list of .options I can add to my schematic to set these prefs? (LTSpice dosnt remember them!) And can someone give me ballpark dist. figures for a LTP wiith no CCS. Im getting approx .7-.02(seems low) deppending on amount of degeneration.
Thanks in advance!

In order to get accurate distortion sims in LTspice, it's essential that you put the following directive in your file:

.options plotwinsize 0

This will turn off data compression, which wreaks havoc with distortion sims. You'll also want to experiment with the maximum time step size. One good way to do this is look at the distortion of a pure sine wave source. Also, it's usually easier to use the .FOUR directive, then view the distortion using View, SPICE error log than it is to mess with the FFT settings.

I need help finding models.

Wondering if any one has a list of good spice models for "good/popular " audio BJTs. This newbie is just learning what transistors work well in different ccts. but sometimes finding a model for them feels like banging your head on the wall. (not to mention knowing how good these models are). I tried searching this site without luck, but I probably missed stuff. (Is ther a SPICE resource anywhere on this site?)

After some more searching on this site, am starting to find models one or two at a time. This seems to be a popular request. If no one else has done this, I wiil try to collect and organize these models but Im just starting so any help would be appreciated, and It will probably take me a while.

I have a large pile of models..
They are here..

http://ts1/pdf1/Electronics/Software/Japanese_Xter_models/

Most are .lib , just copy/ paste for a custom list.
Attached is common MJ/NJ/KSA types I use regularly.
In the software folder are all the IRF (mosfet)models, too.:D

I am going to bring this to the next level soon , as I have most of the standard DIY amps modelled already.. A database of
.ASC "ready made" full amp simulations. (all DX , quasi, frugal,
ESP, etc.)

OS

Attachments

• on_fc_xter_models.zip
    19.2 KB · Views: 141
Spice Reference

It seems like we need a dedicated page on this site to store reference material, models, data sheets, (any other commonly asked for info). I know all this material exists on this site but finding it isnt trivial. Is there such a place, and if not how do we start one.