Spawn of Frugel-Horn

I am used to using grilles.

What would be the overall effect of grille cloth over the whole front
of a Harvey? Also grilles hide variations in material use such as .... well .... scraps for different shades and colors which i would use to make a mule.

This whole deal came up for me with a peculiar sensitivity of peripheral vision. My builds have grilles to give a flat plane to the listening source and thereby avoid distraction in the media presentation setup.

Scottmoose said:
Depends on the material. It'll damp the response down a bit, mainly in the mid - treble regions, unless it's very thick, in which case it'll damp out some of the LF too (unlikely though). Other than that, not much change IMO. Only one way to find out of course!

I was mainly thinking about the LF cavities rather than the driver
area. I have successfully used grilles in the driver area with
standoffs between the grille frame and the front. The material I normally use is a double knit which stretches to maintain good tightness on the frame. Other opaque material suggestions are welcome.

the WAF of the Bruce just went through the roof with the grille cloth.

I like the idea of using thicker cloth to stop the HF.
Will give the wife a knitting project too. Knitted wool stretched out should absorb HF really well and allow bass to pass through.

Has anyone used that large particle flooring chipboard for cabinets before? Looks like it is made from pressed scraps from plywood manufacture.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
OzMikeH said:

Has anyone used that large particle flooring chipboard for cabinets before? Looks like it is made from pressed scraps from plywood manufacture.

You mean like this? Experimental.

Attachments

• im000903.jpg
    im000903.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 906
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
OzMikeH said:
Exactlly MJL. What is it's common name so I can search for it in the threads?
Did you find it a suitable material acoustically?

A bit of filler, a lot of sanding and some dark cherry stain and I expect it would look rather nice.

It's OSB-oriented strand board.
Acoustically? No worse than any other wood product. Tricky to join - I used only glue in the box pictured above.

I did a sub a while back that was finished with this, made an interesting look:

Pic is very grainy.

Attachments

• im000787.jpg
    im000787.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 877
OzMikeH

Re oriented strandboard. This product is available in Australia. If you go to Gunnersens website you can download a PDF of its properties. Another product I have mentioned on this site beofre is Tri-board, manufactured by Juken in New Zealand and exported to Australia. It is strandboard core sandwiched between thin MDF layers. Gives the smooth finishing ability of MDF combined with the fastener holding ability of the strandboard core. I don't know of its sonic properties IE whether is is better than MDF. www.triboard.com/triboard.htm is the website.
jamikl

FYI, OSB is an engineered product, so there's different grades/specs and for a finished speaker (as opposed to a prototype) the roofing sheathing is preferred IMO since it's the most rigid, though it takes a >23 mm thickness to match 19 mm plywood in stiffness. It's also quite a bit heavier, so will be better damped.

Some Spawn updates for you guys.

Harvey V1.1 modifications are now complete. Dave sent me the CAD drawings last night to check over -everything's fine (no surprise there, given his CAD-wizzardry), so they should be good for release over the next couple of days.

The mods comprise a ~28% reduction in back-chamber volume, and the throat CSAs have also been reduced fractionally, with concomitant increase in the initial vent-expansion. Net result will be a a flatter response in-room, with the dip in the upper bass reduced. An additional benefit is that this will allow us to rationalise the Spawn range of generic cabinets: Harvey will now work with a wider range of 4 1/2in - 5in drivers, without requiring individual variations, as before. The other 3 boxes in the BVR range, Iris, Bruce & Loreena will also recieve some tweaks in the near future, with the same objectives (Bruce is fairly good as-is, but we'll see if we can improve things a bit -that's why these are open-source, so we can implement tweaks / suggestions by builders).

The Nagaoka / Olson style cabinets will remain as-is for the present. However, the Calhoun range of boxes (I haven't yet worked out what to call them myself -DBR with a twist?) is set to grow. These are basically us taking a leaf out of Nelson Pass's book & trying to find out just how ludicrously simple we can go. OK, and a desire to stick it to the First Horn. There are 3 variations for the 127, including a doubled box, and a doubled cabinet for both the 167E and 207E. Not state of the art, or the last word in refinement, but quick, simple, fun & easy to build & they should sound pretty decent.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Harvey V1.1 modifications are now complete. Dave sent me the CAD drawings last night to check over -everything's fine (no surprise there, given his CAD-wizzardry), so they should be good for release over the next couple of days.

That's fantastic news. I, for one, can't thank the brains behind this enough.

Would you still say (if it was you who said it in the first place) that the 126e prefers the Mikasa over the Harvey? Maybe you can guess from some of my posts that I'm still up in the air over which design to build. I must be blessed to have such problems...