Spawn of Frugel-Horn

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stevodude said:
has anyone done a cut plan?

Not for this one that i know of.

[I heard somewhere that you can basically cut this out using 5x5 sheets? or in australia will be in metric, 2400x1200mm or 2400x1800mm sheets. (yet to find a supplier - but will have to probably try a boat builder supplier for some marine ply here in Mackay, North Queensland).

All the BVRs were made 60" tall so that the sides could fit in a single piece of commonly available 60x60" Baltic Birch plywood

[Oh also by the looks of the 3d drawings they were done in google sketchup? any chance of the drawing file I can do a cut plan from that.

Better to work from are the 2D CAD files used to create the SketchUp... mail me an i'll see if i can get you a copy in a version you can read (native format is VectorWorks). Most of the cut plans were done by someone else and i have incproated those into the plans.

dave

There was a guy in NSW or Vic that is selling BB on Ebay. Pick up only for about $180 a sheet. It might be worth the drive to you to get into a group buy (if there's any left).
Otherwise expect to pay about $400 a sheet in Australia, if you can find it anywhere. About 1 in 5 timber merchants knew what it was. the only supplier in western australia was an aviation timber supplier with 4mm ply only.

I looked very hard and had to give up. I was willing to pay that much but could not get anything freighted to where I am reliably.

I'm considering using form ply when I build my Bruces, it's very dense but has voids so prepare to discard some. It's the kind of plywood used for concrete formwork. It takes quite a lot of sanding to get the black coating off but you can buy a belt sander with the money you save.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott got the pics of a Sachiko today... here are Derek's

dave

Attachments

• derek-sachiko.jpg
    derek-sachiko.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,613
Those drivers are 206ES-Rs aren't they? Now I am really interested in the way these enclosures sound.
(having two ES-R drivers waiting in the wings ye know)

Yes, they are the ESR's. I was concerned that I may hear some boxiness or chesty vocals with an cabinet this large, but these enclosures are very neutral. I used baltic birch ply and biscuits to join. I did have to use a bit of acoustic polyfill in the compression chamber to tame a tad bit of midrange peakiness. I've built three horn speakers using various drivers and these are the best I've had in my listening room. I think the amount of air that these moves gives them a very large sound comparable to musicians in the room. The bass weight, depth and quality is amazing and rattles my ceiling can lights during low passages. Hope this helps prod you to build them. They are most definitely worth the effort if you have a large listening room.

Hmm, may have, but ya'll did the design, I didn't have any input except possibly from answering general horn design Qs. Anyway, how does it perform? Here's an in-room measurement of Olson's with an original LC1A. Not too shabby for a single 8" driver made back in the stone age of materials, manufacturing technology:

Attachments

• olsen rca lc1a cornerhorn.gif
    olsen rca lc1a cornerhorn.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,235
planet10 said:

That is just scary. It would cost less (including postage) than the material in Oz to ship a full flat-pak of a frugal-horn with drivers... would a person at the Ozian end get nailed with duties (coming from Canada)?

dave

Sometimes, It really depends who's looking at the boxes at customs at the time :)

Most of my computer/gadgets/gizmo's have been purchased from OS, but nothing as bulky as 30kg sheets of ply :)

I've found 2 companies that can supply either 'marine ply' at $80 a sq meter, or Gaboon Ply or hoop pine ply around $55 a sq meter
the gaboon&hoop are both pine, ie soft wood and will probably have voids... ( All across coutry postage ie > $100 )

my other choice is 19 or 24mm mdf for about $15 a sq meter, or if I can find the HDF somewhere local.

planet10 said:

Did you have to do any tweaking or any comments that might help the next builder?

Were any of your earlier horns the factory ones for 206eSR?

dave

Only tweaking I've gotten to so far was placing polyfill above and below the driver in the compression chamber. Still experimenting with placement. Make sure you have someone strong to help you get them from the shop to your listening room. Mine are made from Baltic Birch ply and I estimate they weigh around 90 pounds each. :bigeyes:
I haven't built the factory recommended cabinet for the 206ESR, so I'm not much help in that respect.

I've bought phase plugs, camera bags and books from canada and the US, never been hit with duty so far. A friend of mine has bought quite a few camera lenses from hong-kong and not been taxed. Another friend bought a DAC and some drivers of a similar value and got taxed.
I suspect customs can't be bothered unless it's more than a couple of thousand dollars.
I know Books aren't taxed if you buy less than $1000 worth a year (personal use only).

Imported wood will be inspected very closely for pests and disease.

Dave, any chance of developing a flat pack Bruce? I never even considered importing a flatpack. My ugly, wonky raw MDF speakers are starting to depress me. Some CNC machined BB might just be the ticket.

Stevodude: you may want to consider veneered particle (chip??) board, some people prefer it's "sound" to MDF.

edit: if you are set on baltic birch try aviation carpenters, some high end boat builders may have it too.

I've been thinking about using up some stuff for a build of the
Harvey and FE 127e (sorry no 126's here).

I started the thread then skipped to the end and after looking at the
Frugelhorn site, still did not see any measured drawings esp for the
front width.

No doubt much has been modified over time on these. What's the latest?

My most recent build was BIB.

Will the Harveys be at the July Vancouver show mentioned at Frugelhorn?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
loninappleton said:
after looking at the
Frugelhorn site, still did not see any measured drawings esp for the
front width.

Guess i should revise the site to make it more obvious what llink (of many) to clik

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/download/harvey10-plans-030107.pdf

Will the Harveys be at the July Vancouver show mentioned at Frugelhorn?

Victoria, not Vancouver. No one has yet said whether we will see Harvey at the diyFEST... it is on our build list, but a ways down. Aiko will be there -- don't know whether we should leave the Lyeco in it to show everyone how disappointing it sounds or swap in the FE108eS...

dave