Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saved 25 minutes by googling jack Shulman and found Jack Shitman gives me an award which is far more amusing.
That JS is indeed a total nut job...thanks for that amusing read.
It's quite sad really how the modern internet provides voice to these morons given the intent of the original bulletin board service to enable real time dissemination of information and scientific collaboration.
UFO's, conspiracy theories, free energies, alternative health, blah blah..the net is ripe with copy and paste utter tripe distributed by these loons.
The internet to me is a limitless treasure trove of up to date information/knowledge on every subject that exists....and forums like this are icing on the cake.

For a subtle laugh click here.

Dan.

Dan it would be a great film. One could pretend based on fact! 99% could be true. The 1% the facts.

I am glad DNA took the branchline it did. It's great when the thread is alive. If you knew the week I had it should have been spent in bed, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Debate is always good and I reset mypoint of view a bit. I think how transitors poped into existance might be like ourselves. A logical " from nowhere " event. The problem being non linear devellopement. If that is true inside our lifetimes we could see a new creature and it's cluster arrive. It would not need 25 000 years nor be alien. It need not be GM. I still think a virus if so.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think how transitors poped into existance might be like ourselves. A logical " from nowhere " event. The problem being non linear devellopement.

Another bit of fiction that doesn't stand up to some simple research. As soon as the triode was created there was huge pressure from industry to come up with something less fragile. even a simple wikipedia search shows that a field effect transistor was developed in 1946, but the concept of a FET has been patented in the 1920s. Shockley was not put on the patent of the point contact transistor which annoyed him into working on junction transistors for the next couple of years.

Think about it, Bell labs was one of the premier research groups with heaps of money. They put their best minds on solid state amplification. not a hug leap of faith to suggest that within 5 years they would come up with something that could be productionised?

OOOps, so sorry, Jan. At least my mistaking you for Mr Lohstroh shows you which text on your site I like the best.

I did tell you that text was something I have been wanting to read for decades, having noticed how Mr Lohstroh was somehow forgotten, a rather obvious injustice, as he's listed as the co-author of the orignal text. So when you came along with the text it was for me a dream come true. Literally.

Another bit of fiction that doesn't stand up to some simple research. As soon as the triode was created there was huge pressure from industry to come up with something less fragile. even a simple wikipedia search shows that a field effect transistor was developed in 1946, but the concept of a FET has been patented in the 1920s. Shockley was not put on the patent of the point contact transistor which annoyed him into working on junction transistors for the next couple of years.

Think about it, Bell labs was one of the premier research groups with heaps of money. They put their best minds on solid state amplification. not a hug leap of faith to suggest that within 5 years they would come up with something that could be productionised?

That possibly is more or less right. I beleive the first amplification was in a gas flame using metal particles. Semiconductors had been used since 1880. Marconi didn't have them as detectors for his first experiments. Very soon after the cat-wisker detector was used. Some said they could get amplification using a second wisker. This amplificaton was so small as to be thought to be imagination. The triode worked. The 1920's device 2A3 is still an excellent reliable amplifier.

My statement was like that of the evolutionists. Circumstances cause it to be. This was exactly the point I was making. We should by knowing how evolution works in electronics see a similarity. One is assisted and the other to most people is not. There is a third possibility which I would call the bedrock is knowing the true cause.

One mistake many people make is to report accepted wisdom as fact. This is well coverd by the statement " The victor gets to write history ". Bell labs is an example. It is suggested the patent of the telephone was by a rather human twist of the cards given to Bell. The BBC did a drama of how Bell invented the telephone. I so much beleived it I thought I had been there almost as his witness.

Bell did not invent telephone, US rules | World news | The Guardian

Yes, you can get the amino acids OK, that's pretty well covered - but proteins are a huge jump in complexity, and that's where the problem was the last time I looked - there didn't seem to be a plausible way of combining the amino acids to form proteins, as a chance occurrence in nature.

I suppose the ultimate question is did an ultimate sceintist do it? Even so who or what created that ultimate sceintist? My bedrock principle says there might be a thrid possibility. That is the universe as a whole is that very thing. We are so close to it we can not see it. Put as simply as I can the chemicals we see to an extent are intelligent or have compulsions. For example we need not question if water exists in the universe. It is encoded into hydrogen and oxygen to be water ( mostly ). Water is a very remarkable thing. If you wanted to be a very intelligent super sceintist you could not do better than invent water.

The link below is for something so silly it out ranks Roswel. Some say it has returned. Make of it what you will. What chance Humans exist and what chance Earth exists? 3 billion years of mostly tranquil rotation needs some explaining. The interesting thing is this star visited the Solar system about the time Humans got going. Very weird. Not sure I beleive a word of it.

BBC News - Alien star system buzzed the Sun
The Dark Star planet Nibiru hidden in the outer solar system by Andy Lloyd

Joined 2014
Paid Member
That possibly is more or less right. I beleive the first amplification was in a gas flame using metal particles. Semiconductors had been used since 1880. Marconi didn't have them as detectors for his first experiments.
<snip>

One mistake many people make is to report accepted wisdom as fact. This is well coverd by the statement " The victor gets to write history ".

I assume you have visited the Museum of the History of Science on broad street. Dangerous as opposite the greatest bookshop in England IMO. They have a load of Marconi's original equipment including his famous demo on salisbury plain.

A mind that understands the basics of science will not take accepted wisdom as fact. It will however try and understand where the theories do not line up and try to fit the data to a different idea.

I have a real problem with the standard model. Firstly I can't get my head around the maths, and secondly the majority of the equation is to handle the pesky truth of mass. mass is something we intuitively understand both from a weight and inertia perspective so finding that from a theoretical point of view it's really complex is not logical. Mass is a field? you're having a giraffe. But so far the standard model has not been broken despite best attempts.

Thank goodness electromagnetism (which we need on a daily basis) did unify nicely and that maxwell and faraday packaged it up in an easy to analyse form and as a theory is still most useful.

not very clear to see

The minimum required height for mounting a TO3 device would allow a stacked board for mounting emitter resistors on plastic flatpacks.
Serial production example from the early 1980s, btw.

The significance of the image was to show that MT200s also have a space advantage, less width than the metal can devices and they can be placed closer to eachother (think insulator).

(I still have over 1k TO3s though, prefer them over plastic for Lateral MOSFETs and VFETs)

I assume you have visited the Museum of the History of Science on broad street. Dangerous as opposite the greatest bookshop in England IMO. They have a load of Marconi's original equipment including his famous demo on salisbury plain.

A mind that understands the basics of science will not take accepted wisdom as fact. It will however try and understand where the theories do not line up and try to fit the data to a different idea.

I have a real problem with the standard model. Firstly I can't get my head around the maths, and secondly the majority of the equation is to handle the pesky truth of mass. mass is something we intuitively understand both from a weight and inertia perspective so finding that from a theoretical point of view it's really complex is not logical. Mass is a field? you're having a giraffe. But so far the standard model has not been broken despite best attempts.

Thank goodness electromagnetism (which we need on a daily basis) did unify nicely and that maxwell and faraday packaged it up in an easy to analyse form and as a theory is still most useful.

The music from next door is very good. I must visit as it has been a long time. Colleen has asked me for a guided tour of Blenheim Palace. I said not a good idea as I make it up as I go. She said " That's what I want".

You know that triode / transistor debate is interesting. One story is philosophical and one is dynamics of need. I was just thinking how we never can see the progression in Hominids. It might have been very linear and 5 million years. I suspect that is right. What I think might be the unanswerable question is when did we first construct a sentance ? Maybe a very short time ago ( 30 000 to 6000 years ago ? ). When we did the whole world changed. Exchanging thoughts is corruption and manipulation, it is also fast. Primates do this given the tools. There can be no control as we teach them to sign so as to talk to us. That means we have corrupted them. We are the snakes in their garden.

This is interesting.

Bell System Memorial- Bell Labs (Who Really Invented The Transistor?)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
'next door' was where I saw the only Messiaen concern I have attended. Was an experience.

Ref transistor. For youths like myself it is hard to understand what it must have been like in science in the post war years. The war had driven huge advances in science and technology and the world had entered the nuclear age. People believed that man could achieve anything. Wonderful and horrifying at the same time.

There are non linear events in human evolution. The agricultural revolution was one. Interestingly theories on that are changing at the moment.

Chimps already communicate without man, you can see the videos we have of them hunting other primates. even crows can use tools. Animals are smarter than we thought.

I was to meet Messiaen, It never happened. I have the Argo recording for Quartet for the End of Time. I think Messiaen said " We were a strange group of musicians in the ( concentration ) camp. I swear I saw an Angel come down from Heaven. We were so hungry we most likely were hallucinating " I paraphrase a bit. It is a most beautiful recording and never makes me sad. Like the Sinfonia Antartica it transports me to a place without the danger.

My dad was in radar. When I was young the official secrets act was broken everyday as he told me of his work. The Germans captured our Magnetrons but could not copy them. They did not understand each was hand adjusted. They thought it worked or didn't work and we Brits were some kind of geniuses. The real truth is each was hand made. The mind boggles to think of the radiation. My dad always took the valves with him when repairing the radar. As he said people do not bother to read things even if near switches. He is 84 now. Alas his mind is not as sharp as it was.

Chimps. As you say. It is when we take the next step I have doubt. One Chimp recently was lying. It said it saw another chimp steel something when it was filmed doing it. It is said lying is what really helps humans progress. I have a feeling that it right. As long as it doesn't cross certain limits it may not be the worst thing. I have learned to say how nice Colleen's new whatever is. Did I truely think it ? I am not sure.

The industrial revolution was said to be due to Henry 8th reforms. Drinking tea and beer helped. Japan also could sustain large towns without too much trouble from illness due to tea. Boiling water for making tea will not completely kill everything. Also there was no concept of it. The acids in tea help complete the process. I suspect in the UK beer more likely. Bazelgette and Dr Snow and drinking of beer. Also Townsend and others like Jethro Tull ( not Ian Anderson ) had seen the rotational crop systems and nitrogen fixing ( legumes ). One bad thing is the world might feed 2 billion people if we had no oil. If we can nitogen fix with other crops it gets better, we need GM alas. If I am right and I am 70% of what we eat could be said to be mineral oil.

I was a farmer and my then unknown customer was Raymond Blanc. We were semi organic ( 80 % in truth ). That is the best it can be and is better in someways than pure organic. We had no idea we were that. We just farmed as the economics said best, but liked food so much we wouldn't grow substandard crops. I could beleive 30 % 70 %, where 30 is organic would still work. The 30 % keeps the soil alive and helps drainage. The 70% if done with real sceince and measurements should be in no way inferiour. If you use pure chemical farming you loose much of it. It goes in the river or water supply. With organic you use it on a hill slope. Gravity does the work for you. Nearly all fields have a slope even it slight. You then add a liittle chemicals where you see the crop is behind. This might get you two weeks. You don't add it if the crop isn't sold. Nitram was a favoutite. Very strong and nasty stuff. Used with care it was excellent. That was hand brodcast. Yes that is the correct word. I understand modern farming can now match the eye of the farmer. The tractor adds the right amount by looking at the crop. This is inch by inch sampled. Remember this. Most farmers will only use what is required as it costs big money. More than you they don't like modern farming as there is no profit if one gets it slightly wrong. I don't mind spraying if done to strict guidelines. Some rusts are actually more harmful. They will destoy the liver. My big doubt is the headlands. Make them larger to give wildlife a chance and sprays must not kill bees.

Status
Not open for further replies.