Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps ? It all seems a bit wrong to me. Patrick Moore told me there was vegitation on Mars when I was little. Even the most silly person should have done a few sums and ask if it was possible , like where Mars is and what atmosphere it has. A few weeks ago we were told water seems not to have come from comets, this was based on one sample. OMG. To now say comets didn't is equally wrong. Some say despite the Earth being very hot it might have retained the makings of water in it's own structure. Seems very unlikely but not impossible. The comets assumption is thinking all comets come from one place. Maybe they do. That is not to say the have equal histories of the journies taken.

My goodness guys this space and sceince thread is great. Personally I prefer hi fi.

Perhaps ? It all seems a bit wrong to me. Patrick Moore told me there was vegitation on Mars when I was little. Even the most silly person should have done a few sums and ask if it was possible , like where Mars is and what atmosphere it has. A few weeks ago we were told water seems not to have come from comets, this was based on one sample. OMG. To now say comets didn't is equally wrong. Some say despite the Earth being very hot it might have retained the makings of water in it's own structure. Seems very unlikely but not impossible. The comets assumption is thinking all comets come from one place. Maybe they do. That is not to say the have equal histories of the journies taken.

My goodness guys this space and sceince thread is great. Personally I prefer hi fi.

Good, now that you don't have to check encyclopedias to reply on other wavelengths what progress have you made with your longstanding projects?

The thing is, except in VERY rare cases mutations and natural selection from them propagate very slowly. A less hairy hominid can hunt longer, so brings in more food, so has more offspring. Slowly this selects for hairless apes. We are still evolving for bipedalism, which is why we have a carp spine design and the remains of a tail.

BBC News - Woman 'cured by lucky DNA mutation' is an example of a beneficial mutation in a lifetime. amazingly rare.

Epigenetics

Epigenetics and Inheritance

Epigenetic Influences and Disease | Learn Science at Scitable

Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: More questions than answers

Archaeology: The milk revolution : Nature News & Comment

Last edited:
I honestly don't see why should epigenetics be an "uncovnetional" idea. Quite to the contrary, I think most old civilizations were aware of it in a vague, but practical way. Hence so many bans on interbreeding.

For example, here in Serbia, it is traditional for the parents of both bridegroom and bride to be to check out their familiy history. There are sayings like: "You never know who might speak up from him/her". I think many other peoples of old did more or less the same. If for example there is a history of suicides in a family, that points out to people being prone to depression in its hard clinical form. And such things have been known to happen again with skipping of a few generations.

I think it's no accident that clan societeies, and all were such at some time in their history, kept their history log books in spoken or written form.

We my be able to map a human genome, but we have yet to learn excatly how it works, what causes what, what can we do about it or not, etc. Genetic engineering is not all scary and wrong, despite some feasrome possibilities, it could rid us of things like gentical predisposition to clinical depression, or catching a cancer here and there, etc.

Remember the film "Lucy"? Why not influnece the genome to have a predisposition to creating more synapses than we normally have, in other words programming mankind for a greater intelligence capacity?

We are sometimes so complacent as a species. In terms of brain capacity usage, we are strictly No.2, the dolphins are No.1, they use about TWICE what we use. Their "built in" sonar is credited to be vastly superior to anything we have ever made. I always wondered why dolphins were always my No.1 beloved creatures ever, dogs being No.2. Precognition?

It's called humour. I love it but don't want to get banned for taking it too far.

The genetics problem is very like ones found in electrocnics. Things that don't add up yet can not be left unquestioned, if not I get the boot. Recently I questioned if socks going missing is just me. I thought it was the ex wife. No, I am as good as her in doing it. Colleen my friend laughed and said she also wondered. It can not be going down the waste pipe. In my work a question like that can not go unanswered, in genetics it is interesting. Socks will not get analysed.

You need to study a bit more. This is the most successful Theory in all of science and has revolutionized the core thinking of much of biology.

Incredulity in the face of The Canon only looks ... premature.

I woke up this morning and realised where things go wrong. Someone will say what you say. It has two flaws. One is an assumption of how much the other person knows and two is that the information to defeat someone is just the latest excellent guess. In DNA I would reject what I have just said as DNA is a very robust sceinece ( far more so than electronics ? ).

My point was very far from DNA. It was how does a cluster of a new anything become the 7 billion we are today. I can do all the study I want as no one as far as I know wants to take that question on. To my way of thinking humans are so ill fitted to life on Earth that without perhaps 100 viable examples already 14 years old neither the skills nor gene pool exist for a further generation. I suspect if you do have the answer to that in what you already know you would have said ? Nothing rude intended when saying that.

Moving on to easier stuff. It seems possible that our soft skulls are the big departure from other primates. It allows room for the brain to grow more than the others. This doubly makes us unsuited to life on Earth. It is said the Chimpanzee is 6 times stronger than us and will survive a blow to the head that would kill us. That is interesting as the Chimp loooks weaker than us if size means anything.

About 5 million years ago a primate not unlike us must have arrived. 4 million years ago starting to look a little like us. Someone said perhaps 50 000 years ago true modern humans arrived. Cave paintings at circa 30 000 years are the first good evidence. My guess is further back than 50 00 years, 250 000 would not be impossible. That is breading them and us would be possible. 6000 years ago we seem to enter the more modern phase, we start building caves.

Some buildings I saw on Crete are said to be 4500 years old. To my eye as modern as 17 century France or England. They have lintels above the windows exactly as many houses here. The site is open to all to visit and they say no idea who the people were. I would not mention this except on Santorini similar have been found under 15 metres of ash. Unlike Pompei no bodies found. Plato had refered to this and said of the red white and black stones. Plato estimates the story he turns into a poem is 1000 years old. It is greatly sad we don't know this history . Added to things Herodotus says we could look back on 12 000 years of recorded history. Herodotus makes an interesting statement along these lines " what they said seemed to be true as they didn't hesistate when telling their histories, people who lie hesitate". These were priests of the then monotheistic period of Eygpt. They were going back is time counting the priests. They went back a long long way,far further than structures in Eygypt suggests. Recent finds in Africa hint it could be true. Mostly Malta is said to have about the oldest man made structure. It is interesting as it is both primitive and modern in how it is constructed. The primitive bits seem to be a choice. This would before the remains in Crete.

If you go back to 1982 you will find 90 % of what we now know was not known ( Primates ).

As I said before something more than random mutaion must have happened. There is one possibility. Genes are strange. One can more resembled a great grand parent more than living parents etc, genetic Russian Roulette. If a gene was very strong in might get passed on until it comes out again. I think this unlikely except perhaps in tribes who do not mix with outsiders.

Someone said Evolution is like shacking a scrapyard and a car comes out. Until that is fully understood we just say it is true.

Going back to Herodotus. I saw on TV someone saying Eygpt was a lush green land a few thousand years ago as the Pyramids have a water line around them. Read Herodotus, these were canals. Herodotus is available in paperback and is very good to read. It is a very modern way of thinking. For example Herodotus projects 20 000 years forward when thinking of the Nile. He also gets further in his description of the Nile than anyone up to the Victorian era. He gives practical advice on how finding the source might be done, the advice is 100 % correct. That is you will need plenty of food and water as the desert phase has beaten all who tried. He also says the Nile might go right around the planet and might be called Ocean. Even in 1492 nothing more could be added.

AW, Dan, don't be like that.
Not intended to offend, just how I see dogs.
Sure they can be cute, cuddly, loyal etc, but these are all forms of submissive behaviours with the goal of food.
Ever noticed how you can feed a dog until it can't possibly fit another morsel in, but will still expectantly follow your dining fork from you plate to your mouth, and salivating all the while ?.
Don't get me wrong, I bear no ill will towards dogs but can't be bothered to foster an idiot.
Are we humans REALLY any better? Some idiot politician pushes for a stupid agenda and makes it by popular demand. How is that really any better?
Unfortunately many humans are no better and too many are infinitely worse...dogs do not plot or exhibit sociopathic/psychopathic behaviours.
Many humans are also prone to worshipping behaviours...be it sport stars, music stars, movie stars etc...the list is long.
Here is some food for thought...Dunning Kruger Effect

Dan.

In a similar way I was offered this to solve. Friends seem to always beleive the more incredible explanations. I was very offended when they asked me about 9/11. In my oppinion I solved that one very easilly and can not support any of the evidence given.

This one caused me more trouble. I think I solved it. The evidence given is that William Shockley was too stupid to invent the transistor. It seems he was too stupid to hold a team togehter which gave us Silicon Valley. I read an estimate that we leaped 800 years in electronics. Often it seems that way to me.

Reverse-Engineering Roswell UFO Technology - UFO Evidence

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My point was very far from DNA. It was how does a cluster of a new anything become the 7 billion we are today. I can do all the study I want as no one as far as I know wants to take that question on. To my way of thinking humans are so ill fitted to life on Earth that without perhaps 100 viable examples already 14 years old neither the skills nor gene pool exist for a further generation. I suspect if you do have the answer to that in what you already know you would have said ? Nothing rude intended when saying that.

we were reduced to close to that number based on genetic analysis. All mammal species need a minimum genetic diversity. However we are EXCEEDINGLY well adapted to life on this planet, which is why we have taken it over so completely. The ability to cover long distances (2 legs more efficient than 4), the ability to carry food and water etc. Most importantly the ability for complex language.

I suggest you read or watch 'the ascent of man' by Bronowski. You may even remember it from when it was on TV in the 70s. Some of it has been superseded but much is still completely valid.

In a similar way I was offered this to solve. Friends seem to always beleive the more incredible explanations. I was very offended when they asked me about 9/11. In my oppinion I solved that one very easilly and can not support any of the evidence given.

This one caused me more trouble. I think I solved it. The evidence given is that William Shockley was too stupid to invent the transistor. It seems he was too stupid to hold a team togehter which gave us Silicon Valley. I read an estimate that we leaped 800 years in electronics. Often it seems that way to me.

Reverse-Engineering Roswell UFO Technology - UFO Evidence
American Computer, Transcapacitor, 12 million tons of silver etc etc what a huge pile of BS....that's half an hour that I'll never get back.
world/silver Silver Currently in Existence 777,275 Tonnes, All Silver Mined in History - 1,411,475 Tonnes.

There is very good reason that drugs like LSD are banned.

Dan.

To be blunt. I read the Ladybird book on electricity. Both it and he were my starting points. It is a simple question which somehow seems too unusal to many. How will the cluster form. I can see what the problem is. None here seem to understand the remarkable set of near impossible things that have to happen for the engine that is mankind to start. It seems the very simplest questions are the hardest to answer. The reason is it needs questioning of fundementle bedrock principles. Evolution has it's bedrock a few feet in the air.

Dan. What I got out of this is William Shockley was a real SOAB. This caused everyone around him to diminish his reputation. 1880 seems the starting point of industrial semiconductors. Seimens. The thermionic valve came in about 1905 which delayed research. One could even think 1927 Japan was part of it. FET to this day is very much their cup of tea.

The story of semiconductors is very much like that of man. Parts of both stories that seem to be linear are not.

Of all the stories told Roswell is the one that is hardest to disprove. The big problem seems to be fast aircraft were tested there. I was told the Six Million Dollar Man credits is one of these dating to 1947. Real related footage. The Korean war put an end to needing to be secret. Alas the legend had grown. Ones put out by thoese who love misimformation. That war showed that the Russians had not captured Nazi science of greater value than the USA versions. The proof was the tail-planes of the MIG, very primitive and not able to go supersonic. The MIG was for all that a good match for the Sabre. The Stealth Bomber prooves that some stuff is real. I understand when the designer of the Flying-wing was very ill he was shown it to say thank you. All he needed was fly by wire and computer servos. His version was dangerous. Modern aircraft would be unflyable using old fashoined controls. In making them less stable less fuel is used. A pilot could not react quicly enough to fly one of these. Makes me sick when I fly. Boeing 787 soon. Hope they have the batteries sorted. 14 hour flight I think?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
None here seem to understand the remarkable set of near impossible things that have to happen for the engine that is mankind to start. It seems the very simplest questions are the hardest to answer. The reason is it needs questioning of fundementle bedrock principles.

I fear I understand a lot better than you do. My late sister was a microbiologist and teacher. As well as measuring how fast DNA spins as it is unravelled for copying she taught many people and dedicated her later years to instilling the wonder of life into students, one of whom was her care nurse in her last weeks.

Over the years had many long discussions with her about how many things had to happen for life to form and how much there is still to learn. The problem is, in order to REALLY appreciate things, you have to read what people have already worked out rather than start from some 'man in the pub' standpoint. Most of your 'questions' have adequate theories that explain them.

Status
Not open for further replies.